Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-15-2014, 11:22 AM   #1

Propane set-up routines?

So I went on my trial run with our used 2010 rockwood 1640 ltd last weekend. All went pretty well, except when I went to use the stove burner, I was out of propane. Wondering if I did something wrong while setting up?
My set up consisted as follows

Gauge on the tank read and still reads full, I assume this is broken.
When we got to the campsite I opened the pop up, opened the propane tank valve, lit the pilot, all seemed well.
I next hung the stove on the outside of the popup, connected the gas line and opened the valve to on.
We next left for a few hours to go fishing.
When we came back, I tried lighting the stove by turning the burners to light and I had no gas.
No heat from the furnace either that weekend, just blew air for a few minutes.
So my questions are?
Should I wait to open the propane tank until I need to use the gas? Was my problem turning the stove gas line valve on, and not using it? Or did I simply go camping with an empty propane tank?
DaveN.SoCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 12:12 PM   #2

I would first verify if the tank actually is empty or full. A gauge that reads full but having no gas flow is obviously contradictory. You can do this by disconnecting and weighing the tank. It may just be obvious by lifting it otherwise LPG weighs about 4.5 lbs per gallon. If it is empty, you have leak and a potentially dangerous situation and unless familiar with repairing gas leaks I would take in for service. If it is full you likely have a valve or regulator that is not operating properly.

Aviator Wright-Flyer#1908
1996 Holiday Rambler
2012 Ram 2500HD CTD
KenHwy61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 12:22 PM   #3

Just took off the tank, and it's heavier than expected. Much heavier than a normal propane tank. Looks like it's built more heavy duty than a normal propane tank though.
Gonna hook it up to the home bbq to see if there is gas in it.
Old 11-15-2014, 12:44 PM   #4

What "pilot" did you light? Good idea to verify on the BBQ. If good, then take it back out to the camper but this time, turn the valve on SLOWLY. Listen for the gas to fill/pressurize the lines. Then turn on stove and listen for gas and try re-lighting it if you hear it. I've been told that the newer regulators have some sort of safety feature that shuts off the gas flow if gas escapes too fast (such as opening the tank valve too fast into empty lines).

Keep us informed.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 01:09 PM   #5

Maybe that's what happened. There is a access panel on the side of the popup. (Gas, 120v, and 12v)
Just went out to the garage.
Opened her up, everything worked fine.
I'm pretty sure the pilot was lit when I went camping. I know I tried relighting it when I couldn't get gas.
Maybe it shut itself off?
Any idea how long it shuts off for, before you could relight?
Old 11-15-2014, 01:10 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rracer5 View Post
turn the valve on SLOWLY.
This would be my first thought. I had the same problem once, and it out to be that I had turned on the gas too quickly. I didn't even realize that could be a problem until that incident.
99 Club Car Golf Cart
djmac1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 01:42 PM   #7

The new safety bottles are a pain in the tucas. You have to turn on slowly and I have found that turning mine on maybe a quarter of the way they work fine.If when your out camping the temp can cause the saftey valve to turn off the bottle too.Just unscrew the hose at the bottle until you here a small spew of propane.Tighten the hose back up and try it again.Just another nanny state saftey that makes things not work right.
DaveandSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 01:56 PM   #8

Appreciate all the advice. We're gonna go again in a few weeks, hopefully that was the issue!
Old 11-17-2014, 12:28 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveN.SoCal View Post
Maybe that's what happened. There is a access panel on the side of the popup. (Gas, 120v, and 12v)
Just went out to the garage.
Opened her up, everything worked fine.
I'm pretty sure the pilot was lit when I went camping. I know I tried relighting it when I couldn't get gas.
Maybe it shut itself off?
Any idea how long it shuts off for, before you could relight?

I guess I'm confused. If you have a three way fridge, under the access panel you have the controls to pick the mode of power to the fridge. They are gas, 120V and 12V. However, on my trailer, these settings have nothing to do with any other gas appliance. The outside (worthless BBQ), inside gas stove and the heater are not controlled by that switch, those devices are always gas.

On my unit, the fridge is a pain in the rear to lite the propane mode, always has been and almost next to impossible to see the pilot light. However, when I camp, I just turn the valve on and I do not do it slowly and have never had a problem with propane flow to the devices. (I'm running two tanks so that might make a difference.)

What were the temps you were camping in?

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane