Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2013, 09:15 PM   #1

Propane smell

When I use my furnace on my palomino banshee b2, it smell like propane. Furnace works and heats up, but it almost smells like not all the propane is being burnt. Haven't had gas meter or anything go off. I tried with the tanks 1/4 turn open too, to see if it might help.

I posted it in the tech section, but no replies. Anybody have ideas?
Kawigreenguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 09:55 PM   #2

Has it been used much yet? Coatings on newer unit stink for awhile until burned of. If not new pick up a CO detector and be sure its just odor, not poisonous gas.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 09:57 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceU View Post
Has it been used much yet? Coatings on newer unit stink for awhile until burned of. If not new pick up a CO detector and be sure its just odor, not poisonous gas.
It's been used probably 4 times, but not for extended periods of time. Could the "newness" make it smell like propane though?

Thx
Old 09-15-2013, 10:34 PM   #4

The propane gases or I should say flue gases from the burned propane do not go into your TT cabin it goes out the outside vent. The flame heats metal on one side and the TT circulated air picks up the heat through the other side of the metal. If the flue gases went inside your TT you would get CO poisoning so you cannot be smelling unburned propane. When heaters are built they coat the metal to prevent rusting (a lite oil) this burns off with use resulting in the smell until all is burned off.
2000 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager M-8357 MH, Ford Trident V10 Gasser, 35 foot.
Batts-toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 08:07 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batts-toy View Post
The propane gases or I should say flue gases from the burned propane do not go into your TT cabin it goes out the outside vent. The flame heats metal on one side and the TT circulated air picks up the heat through the other side of the metal. If the flue gases went inside your TT you would get CO poisoning so you cannot be smelling unburned propane. When heaters are built they coat the metal to prevent rusting (a lite oil) this burns off with use resulting in the smell until all is burned off.
I'll let it run for a while and see what happens. Thanks for the info
Old 09-16-2013, 08:45 AM   #6

Make sure you have a carbon monoxide detector in your TT, there are 3 appliances that burn propane in the TT's now days (fridge, heater and hot water heater) in case one does developes a leak you need a CO detector.
2000 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager M-8357 MH, Ford Trident V10 Gasser, 35 foot.
Batts-toy is offline   Reply With Quote