Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-29-2014, 01:17 PM   #1

Propane tanks interfere with Weight Distribution Hitch

I have a 2015 Forest River Rockwood Premier 2516G with dual propane and dual batteries.

I want to get a weight distribution hitch. However, the dual propane tanks sit on a tray that sits on top of the trailer's A-frame at precisely the point where WDH brackets are supposed to mount.

The options, as I see them:
  1. Use side-mounted brackets.
  2. Raise the propane tray so it doesn't block standard WDH brackets.

The advantage to #1 is it requires less modification; I don't have to figure out how to move the propane. I just have to drill the frame and mount the side brackets.

The disadvantages to #1 are: I have to drill the frame. Also, side-mount brackets require that I use the trailer's tongue jack to lift both the trailer and the vehicle so that I can attach the chains. That's hard on the jack. And finally, those brackets are always an extra purchase.

I would prefer option #2. I could probably fabricate a riser out of some jerry-rigged wood or metal brackets. But I've seen mentioned in another forum that there may be a bracket recommended by Forest River.

Has anyone made this modification? And where do I find these brackets?
davido_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 01:35 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Would a single bar WDH system work for your trailer ??

Reese 66069 Light-Duty Weight Distributing Kit (Single Bar) for A-Frame Trailers

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 01:40 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnGuy View Post
Nice find, but alas, no.

The trailer's A-frame is very crowded. First the coupler, then the jack, then the winch (for raising the roof), then the propane, and finally the batteries, with no space to mount anything else between them.

Besides, that unit is $648, and comparably spec'ed dual-bar units can be had for under $300. That's a hefty premium.

I really think the best solution is to get enough space between the propane tanks and the A-frame so as to be able to mount traditional weight distribution hitch brackets.
davido_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 02:18 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnGuy View Post

Reese 66069 Light-Duty Weight Distributing Kit (Single Bar) for A-Frame Trailers
Your only talking a 1/4" about or 3/8" at the most to raise the propane bracket. Probably just tack welded to begin with. I had to add a couple of bolts years ago to mine, and had a power jack on my wildwood LE. I had to raise the the rear of the truck and camper to hook up my chains. The jack had no problem doing that at all. You can always drill out the whole and use a self tapping bolt. I did that and used some of that metal bonding mix. I think it was B&B or something in the black and red capped tubes and it was strong,(bought at Napa) never ever moved on me. Used 2 1000 lb bars and a anti sway break on 1 side. Towed that trailer for years.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 07:27 PM   #5

If you watch a couple of YouTube videos most people say it's safer to use the tongue jack to raise the trailer n TV so the bars have less pressure on them. Don't use a wdh so not sure myself
kinma13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 11:19 AM   #6

I use an equalizer WDH and had the same problem with my HW256. I had a garage weld the "L" bracket directly to the frame. Worked really well.

The new HW256 I own has a cut out for the Equalizer WDH. I needed to buy new mounting brackets as they changed the design but it worked out really well.

See if you can simply weld the Reese plate directly to the frame. It will be a much better option.

Vin.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 11:25 AM   #7

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Use some wood to raise the tanks. That is a DIY easy way. I did this on 1982 Corsair TT for the same reason.

Brian
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 11:37 AM   #8

Try the blue ox sway pro. It is well worth the money and it will work with your propane tanks.
Keith Seck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 04:32 PM   #9

wdh

Used a Reese single bar light duty wdh on a Colman Utah for many years, always lifted the back of the car with the trailer jack to attach chain.

Had to switch to dual bar with new FR 2514G (Reese SC), though I would have preferred the light duty. Dealer made small cuts in the plate that fills up the triangle to clear the side mounting brackets for the new hitch. They recommended the same approach to mount the draw-bars.
Underthedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 07:06 AM   #10

Propane tanks interfere with Weight Distribution Hitch

I did exactly the same on my 228D; slotted the steel tray to allow the brackets to mount properly through the tray. Round the corners, deburr, and paint when done.

Sent from my iPod touch using Forest River Forums
rbneron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 12:51 AM   #11

Little late to the thread on this one but recently got a 2015 2514G. It's got cutouts for a WDH and only one propane tank.

I've considered getting a dual propane setup but am concerned the plate would block the cutouts.

Did you end up getting this resolved? If so which way did you go?

My TV is a 4Runner rated for 7000lbs so a WDH might be overkill but I like the idea of having one for longer trips. Have a 10/11 hr drive to Yellowstone planned for early June. Wyoming gets really really windy.

Am considering an Andersen hitch.

Bonus points if you post up some pictures of your finished setup!
boondoggled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 07:30 AM   #12

I'm more curious if you had any sway, if you didn't install the wdh.

I have driven through WY, ID, CO, UT, AZ, NM and never had any sway with a lifted 228BH. Have actually driven at times when the rolled up awning is standing upright on the mounts from the wind hitting the sides.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 01:39 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by boondoggled View Post
Little late to the thread on this one but recently got a 2015 2514G. It's got cutouts for a WDH and only one propane tank.

I've considered getting a dual propane setup but am concerned the plate would block the cutouts.

Did you end up getting this resolved? If so which way did you go?

My TV is a 4Runner rated for 7000lbs so a WDH might be overkill but I like the idea of having one for longer trips. Have a 10/11 hr drive to Yellowstone planned for early June. Wyoming gets really really windy.

Am considering an Andersen hitch.
We tow our Rockwood A122 with a Hyundai minivan. A test drive in the dealer's lot when we took delivery convinced me a WDH would be a very good thing to have (I have never owned/used one before). The dealer suggested the Equal-i-zer (600/6000 model), and he agreed to provide and install same for $300.

We had dual propane tanks/dual batteries on the tongue from the beginning, so the dealer had to raise the tank platform 2" to fit the bar supports. Even then, the bar supports are just inside their minimum recommended distance - hence the heavier bars than our weights would otherwise dictate.

Result tows like a dream, not the nightmare sway and rear end sag we got into occasionally with our old 2000 Coleman Westlake/1992 Ford Explorer combination. Minivan rides pretty much the same as without the trailer. Wife is quite content with the ride, even in the Colorado Rockies. Yes, there is some groaning when we make sharp turns at low speeds. I'm glad to hear it - tells me the WDH/anti-sway is working.

I may be able to get some pictures this week.

Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122 (A-frame)
2008 Hyundai Entourage
2014 Rockwood A122
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 11:06 AM   #14

This is what I did on my 2014 Rockwood Freedom 1910

redwolfpei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 01:02 PM   #15

I have noticed that the new Rockwoods are coming with the cut outs in them so you can mount the equalizer WDH. My unit has it and it was a breeze to install.

Good luck.

Vin.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch, propane, tank, weight