Old 06-28-2011, 12:12 PM   #1
daydreaming about camping

proper order for pulling slides

our HW27S/C has a dinette slide. When I picked it up the dealer said the dinette slide should be pulled out first, and then put away last. He warned that the bed slides could damage the cushions if the dinette was left in.

I was looking at the construction and noticed the roller mounted to the slide wall for the bed slides. This got me thinking that the dinette slide should always be IN and not OUT when the bed slides were moved, or basically the opposite of what I was told.

Now I am curious if there really is a danger to the dinette slide by leaving it in when pulling the beds or if the beds are potentially in danger form not having that small roller in place.

Any suggestions?

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 02:02 PM   #2

I have a rockwood HW 276 which also has a slide out dinette. It also has rollers mounted on the slide out wall. The way we do it is the slide out is first when you're collapsing the pop up. This allows the beds to glide on the mounted rollers provided on the slide out dinette and give it added support. When expanding the pop up, the slide out is last. Again the purpose is providing support to the beds both in the expanding and collapsing phases.

I think I remember Rockwood also provided a DVD showing this as well. If you have the manual, it may also be explained there. Hope this helps.

Old 06-28-2011, 02:08 PM   #3

your manual must be a lot better than mine!! Ours came with a generic manual for all Flagstaff tent campers that has nothing specific to our model. All it really talks about is fabric care.

Old 06-30-2011, 02:04 PM   #4

My HW276 looks identical to your Flagstaff HW. I wouldn't be surprised if it works the same also.

Forest River Rockwood 276 HW Bridgeview Illinois | 2012 Popup, House of Camping - House of Camping
Old 06-30-2011, 02:08 PM   #5

identical

Old 07-14-2011, 11:49 PM   #6

OK. Here is the proper set up and take down on all HW Rockwood and Flagstaff campers. First raise the roof, pull the dinette canvas away from the slide out dinette, pull the front bed out and the rear bed out secure with the locking pins. Next pull the dinette slide out out and lock in place with the inside pins. To close the unit first slide the dinette in pull the dinette canvas away from the inside of the unit next slide in the rear bed and then the front bed. The reason you pull the dinette canvas away from the inside of the dinette area is to ensure you will not tear or rip the canvas when you slide the front and rear bed in and out. This is the correct way of set up and take down. Happy Camping to all.

George Andrews
Old 07-19-2011, 02:35 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Andrews View Post
OK. Here is the proper set up and take down on all HW Rockwood and Flagstaff campers. First raise the roof, pull the dinette canvas away from the slide out dinette, pull the front bed out and the rear bed out secure with the locking pins. Next pull the dinette slide out out and lock in place with the inside pins. To close the unit first slide the dinette in pull the dinette canvas away from the inside of the unit next slide in the rear bed and then the front bed. The reason you pull the dinette canvas away from the inside of the dinette area is to ensure you will not tear or rip the canvas when you slide the front and rear bed in and out. This is the correct way of set up and take down. Happy Camping to all.

George Andrews

Thank you very much, that is the information I was looking for.