Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-28-2016, 09:52 AM   #1

Proper Pop-Up Care - Rainy Pack Up, Rain At Home

I'm sorry, I'm sure this topic and question has been covered before. But I'm new and I'm going to ask anyway.

New HW27KS pop-up. Camped for 4 days, packed up in rain, arrived home in rain. (Oregon). What is the proper next step for the trailer? Should we set it back up fully, even if it is raining here, and keep it "up" until we are sure the canvas and canopy are dry? Could be several days (or weeks?) before we have sustained dry weather.
Unfortunately we do not have an enclosed garage area to move the trailer out of the rain.
Just hoping not to mess this up from the get-go!

Thank you!
Goobaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 10:02 AM   #2

Personally I would set it up even in the rain and wait it out until you get a dry day to break it down. You do not want to let is sit closed up more than a day or two. It only takes a few days for stuff to start growing on the actual canvas window flaps not to mention the other areas of the trailer. Those canvas flaps are a PITA to clean and once cleaned usually need waterproofed.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 12:55 PM   #3

I've gone a few days after the trailer was closed up in the rain till I got a dry day, and never have had any mold problems.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 01:31 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5moab View Post
I've gone a few days after the trailer was closed up in the rain till I got a dry day, and never have had any mold problems.
It will depend entirely on ambient temperature and how soiled the canvas is. Mold needs a medium to start growing on so a warm, dark and soiled place is ideal.
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 04:19 AM   #5

Thank you to those who have responded to help!
We decided to pop it up and see what the weather gives us over the next days/week.
At least the canvas and awning are not bundled up and sitting wet, some air flow gives us a fighting chance!
Old 11-29-2016, 06:41 AM   #6
World Wide Wanderer

I would set it up until a dry day comes along.

Unless it was a pouring rain, I would try to dry my bunk ends prior to closing the top down, I would also spray lysol on them to try to kill any mold spores that might be hiding on there, before I closed it up. It would still get set up when we got home to make sure it was COMPLETELY dry. A bit frustrating sometimes, but in the long run it paid off. Our canvas was still nearly pristine 10 years later when we sold our Coleman for top dollar.

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 09:26 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
It will depend entirely on ambient temperature and how soiled the canvas is. Mold needs a medium to start growing on so a warm, dark and soiled place is ideal.
That's probably true, but when I left W. Wyoming in Sept, after a day of rain, and a day of snow, I returned and I did not re-open the trailer for at least three days and all was well. And believe me, there was snow folded up in the bunk ends.
Temps when I folded the trailer up were in the low 30s, temps when I got home were in the 60s; day I opened up was probably closer to mid 70s.

Admittedly, I would have opened it up the day I got home; however, it was not day but night thanks to having to close it up in snow, drive through Yellowstone with slick roads, and still plenty of tourists taking selfies in the middle of the roads.

Next few days it poured and I believe if I tried to open it up, I would have had a ton of water get inside the trailer, so I waited for a dry day.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 09:34 AM   #8

When we had our pop-up, seemed that every morning that we were headed for home, it would rain. Always backed the camper into the garage and lifted the top and pulled the slides out some. Pulled the canvas out at the bed sides to help that area dry. Cleaned and vacuumed and eventually put it away a few days later. Kind of the reason we don't own a pop-up any more. It's a lot of work to put it away, especially when wet or damp on the day you leave for home.
Seasonal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 09:20 PM   #9

I live in MI and with the various pop-ups I have owned in the past, I always, always brought the camper home and set it back up fully if we either closed/packed up in the rain or if there was a heavy dew that may have dampened the canvas. After owning pop-ups for almost 20 years, I never had any significant mold issues by always setting the camper up and allowing it to fully dry, even if that took a week of inclement weather at home before the sun came out long enough to do its job. If you do get some mold, be sure to treat it quickly, especially if your canvas is light colored (the canvas was white on my last pop-up). Better safe than sorry was always my motto with the canvas.
"Know yourself, know your world. Change it." Anonymous
kittlecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 04:50 AM   #10

Much better off to take the time and dry it somehow.

We deal with the growing stuff in construction almost daily. Just because someone does not have a problem does not mean you will not. All kinds of factors come into play. Time of year, area, weather, you name it. We have a firm do outside spore counts often when we have an issue to use as a baseline, one day it can be off the scale and the next nothing. We don't call it mold, we call it staining, especially when we can be overheard by a client. Its the new asbestos for the attorney commmunity.

One thing for certain is once it's there, its a PITA to clean and get rid of, better off making the attempt to dry as soon as possible.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 08:59 AM   #11

Will just be patient...

We have the pop-up fully set up, awning pulled out as well. Electric dehumidifier unit running inside the pop-up.
And as normal in Oregon this time of year we are in that "showers one day, somewhat clear next, showers third day..." weather pattern. So we will just be patient and keep our fingers crossed for a sustained dry period.
Hate to have to break down and rent some covered storage but might eventually need to go that route.

Thanks to everyone who is taking time to offer experience and suggestions!
We love the pop-up experience camping so far, just doing our best not to make any mistakes at home!