Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2016, 10:24 AM   #1

Proper Tire Pressure

When getting ready for this weekend's camping trip, we noticed the tires on our Rockwood 2516G (which we've had about 3 months and have used only three times this season) were low. Is this common for tires to deflate so quickly on popups? We are suspecting that the tires were low when we picked it up from the dealer and just didn't notice (we assumed the dealer would have inflated them properly - dumb assumption)... The sidewalls say 65 psi max, but from what I've read there are all sorts of various theories on what the proper inflation pressure should actually be for towing. When we checked our tires cold, they were only at around 30 so we inflated to around 52 psi. Should we make sure to inflate to the max?
DianaWayneScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 10:29 AM   #2
clr

For most trailers I would suggest the max cold air pressure that is marked on the sidewall of the tire. That is unless you have had your unit weighed and then went to a load inflation chart for your tire. This is because TT are notorious for using tires that only barely meet the TT load requirements. You get max load capacity at max air pressure.
2015 Prime Time Sanibel 3601
clr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 10:37 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr View Post
For most trailers I would suggest the max cold air pressure that is marked on the sidewall of the tire. That is unless you have had your unit weighed and then went to a load inflation chart for your tire. This is because TT are notorious for using tires that only barely meet the TT load requirements. You get max load capacity at max air pressure.
X2-set the cold tire pressures to 65 psi.
Old 06-24-2016, 10:58 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianaWayneScott View Post
Is this common for tires to deflate so quickly on popups?
No, but it is common for tires that are run above their speed rating (don't know how fast you pull, but there are two groups I've seen more of towing at high speed...popups and 1 ton trucks with mid sized trailers ) and under inflated for unknown amounts of time to blow unexpectedly. I'd replace them just to be on the safe side if you ran for very long with the pressure low. The longer you ran and the lower the pressure was, the more likely a failure will be. Either way, make sure you check the pressure EVERY time you roll out.
Old 06-24-2016, 11:15 AM   #5
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianaWayneScott View Post
When getting ready for this weekend's camping trip, we noticed the tires on our Rockwood 2516G (which we've had about 3 months and have used only three times this season) were low. Is this common for tires to deflate so quickly on popups? We are suspecting that the tires were low when we picked it up from the dealer and just didn't notice (we assumed the dealer would have inflated them properly - dumb assumption)... The sidewalls say 65 psi max, but from what I've read there are all sorts of various theories on what the proper inflation pressure should actually be for towing. When we checked our tires cold, they were only at around 30 so we inflated to around 52 psi. Should we make sure to inflate to the max?
1. Read your RV Certification label. Sounds like dealer didn't bother to point out this safety information when making the sale and collecting your money
2. You will probably see that Rockwood suggested you inflate tires to 65
3. Yes tires do loose air with time but only about 1 to 3% a month so it appears the dealer neglected to check the tires when they did the prep they probably charged you for.
4. If the dealer sent the RV out with less than 53psi the tires were technically "flat" for warranty purposes and internal structural damage may have been done on the drive home. Yes Industry standards say operating on 20% low tires is considered "flat".
5. Confirm there are no leaks around the metal bolt in valves with a quick spray of soapy water
5. Contact the dealer and ask what he is going to do about ensuring the tires were not damaged by operating on low pressure. Now he will most likely tell you they are OK. If he does that ask that he send you a letter or email stating such. Bet he will not do that.

Suggest you read the thread "Why Tires Fail" and you might consider reading some of my posts on my RV tire blog on proper inflation of RV tires.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 11:57 AM   #6

Thank you everyone!!!!!! I really appreciate your help!
DianaWayneScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 01:14 PM   #7
Boondocking Only

Fill to max PSI cold, tires might lose a couple lbs through out the long storage period. Losing 35lbs is excessive.
ddbck is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pressure, tire