Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2019, 02:43 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Texas
Posts: 162
Question for Fellow 2016 228D pup Owners

I just posted in the welcome mat as I am new to the forums and pup camping in general.

I am going to post some photos on my 228D of the slideout where the tent material attaches. I feel as if something is wrong with what I have. The tent along the sides of the slide-out attaches with velcro to screwed down rigid plastic strips with velcro on them that are screwed down to the frame. However, the majority of the front to back side of the popout has adhesive velcro both on the trailer body and the tent. That just doesnt seem right. AT the very least if that whole window was meant to be velcro'd in I would assume it would have the screwed down velcro strips rather than adhesive type.

I feel that we are missing some permanent metal piece that sandwiches the tent material down do the side frame instead of the velcro I refer to.

Take a look at the pics. If anyone can tell me what should be there or has imaged of the same or a similar trailer they can share with me I would appreciate it.

Photos:
The edge of the slide-out metal frame with sticky adhesive velcro:


The corresponding tent material with a very wide white strip of sticky velcro:


Thanks!
__________________

flyerdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 04:32 PM   #2
Site Team
 
Mr. Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Grayson County, Texas
Posts: 12,619
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyerdp View Post
I just posted in the welcome mat as I am new to the forums and pup camping in general.

I am going to post some photos on my 228D of the slideout where the tent material attaches. I feel as if something is wrong with what I have. The tent along the sides of the slide-out attaches with velcro to screwed down rigid plastic strips with velcro on them that are screwed down to the frame. However, the majority of the front to back side of the popout has adhesive velcro both on the trailer body and the tent. That just doesnt seem right. AT the very least if that whole window was meant to be velcro'd in I would assume it would have the screwed down velcro strips rather than adhesive type.

I feel that we are missing some permanent metal piece that sandwiches the tent material down do the side frame instead of the velcro I refer to.

Take a look at the pics. If anyone can tell me what should be there or has imaged of the same or a similar trailer they can share with me I would appreciate it.

Photos:
The edge of the slide-out metal frame with sticky adhesive velcro:


The corresponding tent material with a very wide white strip of sticky velcro:


Thanks!
Click on the 7 right down there ==> #7 for instructions on posting pics.
__________________

__________________
SEARCH is your friend!
FR Wildcat 295RSX / GMC Sierra

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 =111/'19 = 86; booked = 0
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 10:27 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Texas
Posts: 162
Ok so here are the photos:

I have since watched the DVD that came with the manual and it shows a different model but with a slideout and I see something on the side of the slideout holding the fabric.

Images are attached now.

Long strip of slim black adhesive velcro
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190617_213543.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	299.3 KB
ID:	207740

Outer edge of slide-out with both the plastic strip with velcro screwed on to it, then the smaller adhesive strip that runs most of the length of that section. You can also see an empty screw hole. I found more if i pry up the edge of the adhesive velcro.
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190617_213547.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	292.3 KB
ID:	207741

Tent Material with wide white strip of velcro:
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190617_213555.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	391.9 KB
ID:	207742
flyerdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 10:24 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Texas
Posts: 162
Im adding the picture I found in the set-up video for a different model.

The arrow that points at what I labeled "What is this" is where I have all adhesive velcro.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Slideout attachment.png
Views:	61
Size:	498.3 KB
ID:	207757
flyerdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 01:54 PM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyerdp View Post
Im adding the picture I found in the set-up video for a different model.



The arrow that points at what I labeled "What is this" is where I have all adhesive velcro.



Attachment 207757


What your pointing the tent should be permanent. Sides on mine are Velcro. At last on my slide out.
daverobenolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 01:55 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by daverobenolt View Post
What your pointing the tent should be permanent. Sides on mine are Velcro. At last on my slide out.


ďAt leastĒ
daverobenolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 01:57 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Texas
Posts: 162
Thanks, given the number of empty screw holes I have suspected as much. I also don't think I can put back "factory" attachment because it appears to be the way the bunk ends are. Soft plastic sewn to the fabric and then the plastic has a large round end that slides in to that grip that is screwed down.

My fabric has nothing on the ends.
flyerdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 02:09 PM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 53
Yes if I remember right canvas slides into a plastic trim piece like a bead. Mines closed up right now.
daverobenolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 02:16 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Texas
Posts: 162
Since its under the rain cover I think I am just going to see if I can find a plastic piece I can "clamp" it down under with damaging the tent material for now.

I just could't believe with the way most of it is held together that the entire window is held on with velcro.
flyerdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 08:10 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Northwest Indiana
Posts: 300
My 2020 2716g has side velcro strips that are screwed down, and a screwed down plastic rail on the front of the slide where the tent bulb slides in, and is then screwed in place. Everything is permanently attached.

After seeing your pics, looks as your camper was damaged and had the bulb ripped off the front of the slide out tent, and then repaired with velcro instead of a bulb, where the center plastic rail was replaced with stick on velcro. The side velcro strips that you still have, are what I have, with the rail in between the screwed down velcro end pieces. I would try to get a longer plastic velcro strip like you have the on the ends, and use that screwed down, as the end pieces, instead of the stick on velcro.

Probably not that big of an issue on the tent side if you can find some of that plastic velcro to screw down permanently. That way you don't have to worry about the glue drying out on the stick on velcro, and your slide out tent coming unattached.

Remember years ago, that even the bunkend tents were not attached permanently on their front face, they were either velcroed like the sides or used bungee cord.

So maybe not ideal, you can make it work.
__________________
2016 Ford F150 XLT, CC, 4WD, 145" WB, 5.0L, 6 speed, 3.73 9.75" Locking Axle, 1890# Payload, SAE J2807 method Actual 10,720# Tow Rating, pulling a 2020 Rockwood Premier 2716G Pop Up, with a 14' box. Previously had 2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH and 2008 Jayco Jay Flight 19BH Travel Trailers. Also previously had 2007 Starcraft 2406 Pop Up with 12' box and bathroom, Previously had 2005 Rockwood 2290 Pop Up with 12' box and porta potty cabinet. Trucks and Trailers.
Mike91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 08:20 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Northwest Indiana
Posts: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyerdp View Post
Im adding the picture I found in the set-up video for a different model.

The arrow that points at what I labeled "What is this" is where I have all adhesive velcro.

Attachment 207757
That white center piece is the plastic rail I talked of, where the tent bulb slides into, and then is screwed in place.

I'm guessing that the last owner forgot to pull out the slide out tenting before pushing in the bunkends, and ripped the bulb off the tenting. The repair shop probably didn't have any bulbs or rails to fix the damage and decided to use velcro instead. Just GUESSING though.
__________________
2016 Ford F150 XLT, CC, 4WD, 145" WB, 5.0L, 6 speed, 3.73 9.75" Locking Axle, 1890# Payload, SAE J2807 method Actual 10,720# Tow Rating, pulling a 2020 Rockwood Premier 2716G Pop Up, with a 14' box. Previously had 2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH and 2008 Jayco Jay Flight 19BH Travel Trailers. Also previously had 2007 Starcraft 2406 Pop Up with 12' box and bathroom, Previously had 2005 Rockwood 2290 Pop Up with 12' box and porta potty cabinet. Trucks and Trailers.
Mike91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 11:36 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Texas
Posts: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike91 View Post
My 2020 2716g has side velcro strips that are screwed down, and a screwed down plastic rail on the front of the slide where the tent bulb slides in, and is then screwed in place. Everything is permanently attached.

After seeing your pics, looks as your camper was damaged and had the bulb ripped off the front of the slide out tent, and then repaired with velcro instead of a bulb, where the center plastic rail was replaced with stick on velcro. The side velcro strips that you still have, are what I have, with the rail in between the screwed down velcro end pieces. I would try to get a longer plastic velcro strip like you have the on the ends, and use that screwed down, as the end pieces, instead of the stick on velcro.

Probably not that big of an issue on the tent side if you can find some of that plastic velcro to screw down permanently. That way you don't have to worry about the glue drying out on the stick on velcro, and your slide out tent coming unattached.

Remember years ago, that even the bunkend tents were not attached permanently on their front face, they were either velcroed like the sides or used bungee cord.

So maybe not ideal, you can make it work.
Thanks, yeah. I didn't get to Lowes this evening to look for plastic to fix it. My plan is to use something to "trap" the tent fabric in kind of like the set screws on the aluminum rails in front of or behind the slide out but use plastic and just screw it down in to the holes that already exist. I have the original sales info. A 2016 that was bought in early 2017 and then sold to me. So it seems the former owner messed it up. I have found a few things he tinkered with that are jacked up. The gears on the winch motor where the pawl is... and the pawl are all screwed up :/ Just ordered those parts from powerwinch... $60 shipped.
flyerdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 10:58 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Texas
Posts: 162
I thought I would share what I did to at least for now "fix" this problem.
I am asking F.R. where/how I can get parts but in the meantime this will do.

I did not realize until I got things apart more and got in to it but the previous owner replaced a section of the tent fabric with some kind of leather or leatherette material at the bottom of where the old retention mechanism was attached.

I removed the adhesive Velcro from the top of the frame as well as the "leather" material. It left quite a bit of adhesive residue on the material.

I purchased a piece of FRP trim from lowes that is meant to wrap around the end of fire resistant panel and two pieces of 1/16th aluminum. The FRP Trim fold back on itself about 3/8 inch, the photo looks like its the whole thing though. I cut the plastic strip to fit the space on the camper and the aluminum to the same length. I then trimmed the "leather" fabric to length with the tent fully deployed and folded the end around the aluminum strip and inserted it in to the FRP trim with it upside down. I then flipped the entire assembly over and I drilled holes that corresponded with the holes in the top edge of the camper and used #6 stainless screws to hold it down. With the fabric sandwiched around the aluminum and the screws clamping the aluminum down I expect this to be an effective repair until I get the correct parts and tent fabric to fix this properly.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190620_083550.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	221.7 KB
ID:	208292
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190622_122129.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	325.7 KB
ID:	208293
flyerdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 12:08 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Texas
Posts: 162
Additional Question I have now:

Does anyone else's camper sit a bit low on the slide out side (left to right, not front to back level)? I can understand that it adds weight and why it would do that. On perfectly level ground the trailer is not level I have to boost it a little over an inch to get level. Should it normally be level on flat ground?

I see nothing odd on the suspension underneath so thought I would ask here?
__________________

flyerdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
228d

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:10 PM.


×