Old 07-05-2019, 05:44 PM   #1

Thumbs down Question on the 12V system?

I am being a little lazy here by not putting up the camper and testing but this forum has lots of answers so I thought I would ask first.

This is for a 2016 FRlagstaff 228D

I am looking in to a mod that involves fans on the inside and outside of the refrigerator to get better temps. They will be 12v fans so I plan to connect them up to the 12V system.

My questions are regarding the battery and the 12V system. I have already observed that when 30amp power is hooked up and no battery is connected there is 12v present in the camper. Does the 12V back feed and charge the battery when its hooked upw?

Secondly, is the battery isolated when the car's 12V supply is connected at the 7 pin or do I just have 12V power from my car and the onboard battery at the same time? I assume the battery is not isolated (disconnected) when the TV 12 V connects so how is the vehicle protected from power coming from the camper? AND if 30 amp power i hooked up AND the car will it wind up back feeding 12V up in to the TV?

Thanks for any answers? I am just wondering how the power system works?

I have several mods in mind like the above. I am thinking about tapping in to the 12V to power a TV while not buy some idiotic $400 RV TV

flyerdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 06:18 PM   #2

There are easily found refrigerator fans on Ebay. I've used a little battery powered fan inside forever to keep the air stirred up and equalize internal temperatures. A 12vDC "computer fan" in the outdoor compartment will do the same outside. I don't use one in my Roo but did in my popup along with a cheap thermal switch to control when the fan comes on.

There is a 12v output in the power center called a "converter." Powers lights and pumps with connected to 120vAC shorepower and charges the battery. Assuming the battery is connected.

Isolating from your car or truck is up to the tow vehicle, not the trailer. My Fords run the 12v "trailer battery charge" wire thru a relay and it's only powered when the ignition is on.

Modern TVs commonly run off 12vDC from power adapters. They also run of 120vAC. The tiny battery that comes with the trailer won't run much for long.

-- Chuck

Old 07-05-2019, 07:10 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_S View Post
There are easily found refrigerator fans on Ebay. I've used a little battery powered fan inside forever to keep the air stirred up and equalize internal temperatures. A 12vDC "computer fan" in the outdoor compartment will do the same outside. I don't use one in my Roo but did in my popup along with a cheap thermal switch to control when the fan comes on.

There is a 12v output in the power center called a "converter." Powers lights and pumps with connected to 120vAC shorepower and charges the battery. Assuming the battery is connected.

Isolating from your car or truck is up to the tow vehicle, not the trailer. My Fords run the 12v "trailer battery charge" wire thru a relay and it's only powered when the ignition is on.

Modern TVs commonly run off 12vDC from power adapters. They also run of 120vAC. The tiny battery that comes with the trailer won't run much for long.

-- Chuck
I wish that last part was true but I have found most TV's run off of 19V internally and a 110 plug. I have searched far and wide on that. I am currently opening a new one I just bought and thinking of using this product to up the voltage:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...DENNA5P5&psc=1

My vehicle did not have a 7 pin so I ran my own and isolated the 12V directly from the battery with a relay myself.

Thanks for the info on charging the battery etc...
Old 07-05-2019, 07:15 PM   #4

Suggest you read the attached.

Note that the pic on page 2 isn't the greatest. I've attached an "improved" one. You can see on the improved drawing that you can remove the battery and still have 12VDC to your systems from the converter.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf The 12 volt Side of Life.pdf (436.4 KB, 41 views)
File Type: pdf Typical RV Electrical System improved.pdf (339.9 KB, 50 views)

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 07:26 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post

Note that the pic on page 2 isn't the greatest. I've attached an "improved" one. You can see on the improved drawing that you can remove the battery and still have 12VDC to your systems from the converter.
x2 on these.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 07:41 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post

Thanks,

interestingly I note that at no time in the improved diagram does current flow TO the TV.
Old 07-05-2019, 10:44 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyerdp View Post
Thanks,

interestingly I note that at no time in the improved diagram does current flow TO the TV.
Unless you've got some sort of diode device or switch in the TV's power line, if you leave the TT hitched to the TV with the TV not running, The TT's loads can end up draining the TV's battery. I know that Chevy's do not have any such device, but based on other people's comments, it would appear that some other brands do have something that disconnects the power to the TT when you shut off the ignition.

IF you don't have such a device, you basically have the TV battery in parallel with the TT battery, so if there's a large load in the TV (like headlights) and the engine isn't running, eventually you will drain both the TV and the TT's battery. So yes, it is possible that you can have current flow TO the TV. But it doesn't really happen very often and you're the first I've ever heard who's questioned it.

Actually, motor homes have two batteries, one for the chassis (engine, head lights, instrument panel, etc) and one for the camper stuff (house battery). The engine can charge both batteries, but they are set up so that the house battery can't drain the chassis battery, BUT they are also set up so you can use the house battery to start the engine if the chassis battery has failed for some reason.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 04:49 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyerdp View Post
I am being a little lazy here by not putting up the camper and testing but this forum has lots of answers so I thought I would ask first.

This is for a 2016 FRlagstaff 228D

I am looking in to a mod that involves fans on the inside and outside of the refrigerator to get better temps. They will be 12v fans so I plan to connect them up to the 12V system.

My questions are regarding the battery and the 12V system. I have already observed that when 30amp power is hooked up and no battery is connected there is 12v present in the camper. Does the 12V back feed and charge the battery when its hooked upw?

Secondly, is the battery isolated when the car's 12V supply is connected at the 7 pin or do I just have 12V power from my car and the onboard battery at the same time? I assume the battery is not isolated (disconnected) when the TV 12 V connects so how is the vehicle protected from power coming from the camper? AND if 30 amp power i hooked up AND the car will it wind up back feeding 12V up in to the TV?

Thanks for any answers? I am just wondering how the power system works?

I have several mods in mind like the above. I am thinking about tapping in to the 12V to power a TV while not buy some idiotic $400 RV TV
I'm not an electrician so I just got a battery (D-cell) fan that circulates the air inside the fridge very well. The D-cells last a very long time. Available at Camping World or most any RV store.
bzac1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 08:04 AM   #9

I've used one of those D-cell interior fans for 15 seasons. It works well but after this discussion I noticed my credit card on line ordering a set of fans for the refrigerator fins. This credit card is notorious for ordering stuff without my knowledge.

I consider an internal fan a necessity and the D-cell model works fine. On a popup with no chimney or flue to draw air thru the back I recommend a fan as previously mentioned. These work off heat and the more heat that can be dissipated the better they work.

-- Chuck
Old 07-07-2019, 08:30 AM   #10
Ham Call N8SAC

To use the converter without the battery’s hooked up might not be good under some conditions. They use the battery’s as a large filter capacitor. And also to act as a accumulator to take up serges in the system. They work as a system . And there are 12 volt TV’s out there . Walmart has a 32” on display at our store now . I bough a 21” at target a few years ago for my daughter.

Maxwell D Pratt is offline   Reply With Quote