Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-06-2012, 04:24 PM   #1

Questions about a Rockwood PUP

Hello!!! We just bought a 2003 Rockwood (Freedom, model 2270)PUP and took it out for its first spin this weekend! Boy...there is a lot I need to learn!! I am hoping to find some answers from all the experience in this forum! So, to get the ball rolling I will start with a few questions:
  • The previous owner either ran into something or tried to put the roof down with the door still attached . The whole frame is busted. Any suggestions on the best fix? I am wondering if I need to find a dealer to get a whole new door. We also need a new awning, they tore that off too!
  • Does anyone have any experience with towing with a minivan?!? We have a 2009 Town & Country and want to put a hitch on to tow our PUP. We borrowed my dad's truck for this weekend, but hope to become a bit more independent!
  • I have read some posts about the heater...but I want to make sure I understand. The heater only runs off gas...there isn't a electric heater, right?
  • anyone want to give me clues to the how to use water? Can I fill and store, or do I have to hook up at a site? We haven't used the sink at all.
Seems like a good number of questions to start off with! Thanks in advance for your help!
KristaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 05:01 PM   #2
Missing Link

As far as door I would replace it myself. Get measurements and look online.

Heater is gas only.

Water can either be hooked up at site or fill the fresh water tank. Should be a fill hole on outside.

Pulled a Rockwood pup with a mini van for a few years and it pulled nice. Also consider putting a trans cooler on van to keep temps down. Also look in van owners manual to see what the tow rating is.
Old 10-07-2012, 07:47 AM   #3
CampingQueen

We towed our popup with a minivan. Do check with the owner's manual and/or internet search to see what the rating is for your van. Don't forget that that number assumes 1 person (150lbs) and NO gear/cargo in the van. You will need to subtract the weights of the people and stuff you generally have with you when camping to get to the safe towing capability number.

Looking at a quick websearch, looks like the standard dry weight of that TT is around 1800 lbs.

From what I can tell, the towing cap of a 2003 T&C van is somewhere between 1800lbs for the base model, up to 3,300 lbs for the Limited model with a tow package. The tow package usually means there is a transmission cooler and brake cooler, along with a brake controller. I had to add this stuff to my van and it ran several hundred dollars to have someone install it for me. If your van is not the limited model with the higher tow cap, then you would not be safe towing this camper. Also, if you want your transmission to last, I would not tow without installing that tran cooler.

Finally, if you aren't already, you should be using a brake controller when towing. Many states require this by law if a trailer is over 1000 or 1500 lbs.

Towing with a van that's front wheel drive, you'll get much better results if you use a weight distributing hitch w/ sway control, even if the trailer is fairly light.
2011: 17 nights 2012: 26 nights 2013: 46 2014: 20 2015: 16
arlee453 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 10:34 AM   #4

Thanks for the thoughts! I looked at our van's owner manual and it said it could tow up to 3000 pounds...but I will double check that. I will also talk to our mechanic to see how much it would cost to add a trans cooler and check into the break controller. We used my dads truck the first weekend we took it out, and probably will if we get it out again this fall. Hopefully by next spring we can have our van set and ready to go!

Thanks for the hint on the door...that one I need to get fixed sooner then later!
KristaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 10:46 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristaR View Post
Thanks for the thoughts! I looked at our van's owner manual and it said it could tow up to 3000 pounds...but I will double check that.
Krista, are you sure the 3000 is without having the factory tow package?
since you're having to add a hitch reciever, that means the minivan does not have the factory tow package.
therefore, the tow capacity would be lower.

the 2009 Dodge Grand Caravan has a towing range as low as 1000lbs. and as high as 3800lbs. with the factory tow package.

need to know what model T&C you have and which engine it has.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 11:43 AM   #6
Missing Link

Does the pup have brakes? Most don't so a controller wouldn't be needed.
Old 10-07-2012, 04:05 PM   #7
Site Team

with a dry weight of 1809lbs., it might not have any brakes.
but if it does, it might have surge brakes, which don't require a controller.

the OP needs to check and see if it does.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 05:58 PM   #8
CampingQueen

Our popup had brakes, but it was slightly heavier. Look on the popup - if there is a brake pin with a thin-ish steel cable coming out of it then there are electric brakes on the TT and you will need a brake controller.

Regardless, in NC at least, if you are towing more than 1000 you have to have brakes on your TT and a controller in the vehicle to meet the laws. Many other states have similar laws at similar weights. I wouldn't feel comfortable towing something approaching 2000 lbs without brakes on the trailer.

I would also bet that 3000 lbs would be with only with a tow package (class III receiver, trans cooler and brake cooler). We towed with an Odyssey and it was rated at 1500 without tow package and 3500 with.

And I would definately reiterate using a weight distributing hitch with the van. The vans sit so much lower to the ground than the truck, by the time we hitched up the TT our front wheels had very little weight on them, comparitively speaking. Without the WD hitch, we would have had a tough time getting enough traction on the front wheel drive, much less safe handling/steering.
2011: 17 nights 2012: 26 nights 2013: 46 2014: 20 2015: 16
arlee453 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:08 PM   #9

I have a 2005 T&C Touring model which came new with the tranny cooler/tow package but did not have a hitch. I pulled a Flagstaff pup 127 model approx 2600-3000# loaded. My Van is rated at 3500# capacity. I added a Class 3 hitch, Prodigy brake controller, was advised no need for weight distribution and it towed like a dream/no sway even at high speeds up to 70 mph and minimal sway in windy days. Now I have an A-frame which is slightly lighter and still tows easily.
DobeFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote