Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2018, 04:21 PM   #21
Site Team

Why are people not paying attention to the fact that the OP has a popup and this thread is in the Popup sub-forum.
Popups have weaker/thinner frames than TTs and 5th wheels.
And most don't have a square bumper.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 04:25 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredK View Post
Nice! I did one similar to this on my 5er, except:
  1. I removed the existing thin wall 4" square tubing bumper.
  2. Reinforced the bumper to frame connection.
  3. Replaced the light 4" square tubing with heavier tubing.
  4. Added a receiver hitch. (I don't tow with it.)
I can now quickly add and/or remove a receiver style bike rack or a platform rack for my "Advanced Elements" Inflatable Kayaks or what ever else I choose to haul on the platform rack.

I would hesitate to recommend this on a pop up, without considering the ability of the frame to carry the additional weight, plus the "sway" factor for rear weight..

Yea I removed that paper thin bumper and re enforced the underside. Then some powdercoat. After my initial response I realized it was a pop up and proceeded to back peddle. I have a 2716G. If built right I wouldnt hesitate building a rack for the rear. I know plenty of mechanical engineers who could do the load analysis.
Soft 17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 04:30 PM   #23
Site Team

Keep in mind that the weight of the reinforcement, hitch, rack and anything on it need to be subtracted from the cargo capacity of the PUP. There is a lot more to consider here than will the bumper fall off. What is axle capacity, tire loading?

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 04:57 PM   #24

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ml#post1031894

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 05:12 PM   #25

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluepill View Post
Very nice job! I would trust that!
Soft 17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 05:29 PM   #26

About 20 years ago I put 4 bikes on the rear of my Coleman popup. BIG mistake. Created a terrible sway problem. Couldn't go over about 50 mph w/o swaying. Quickly moved them to the tongue; problem solved.

Popups are so light that even a small amount of weight on the rear will lighten the tongue too much.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 05:31 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Why are people not paying attention to the fact that the OP has a popup and this thread is in the Popup sub-forum.
Popups have weaker/thinner frames than TTs and 5th wheels.
And most don't have a square bumper.

I always click on the column on the right "recent discussions" and don't know where it was originally posted. From my computer set up at home I don't see on my screen ever where threads are originally posted?
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 05:40 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimber45 View Post
I always click on the column on the right "recent discussions" and don't know where it was originally posted. From my computer set up at home I don't see on my screen ever where threads are originally posted?
It's right at the top of the page:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Forum title page.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	175.5 KB
ID:	170278  

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 09:26 PM   #29
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
It's right at the top of the page:
Yep
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 12:01 AM   #30

I have a HW277...one step down from your PUP.
Aside from the double axle and a bit larger tub, our units are similar.

I would recommend against adding a rack, FRONT OR REAR, for something as heavy as a generator AND firewood.
  • Rack: 50 to 100 pounds
  • Frame/bumper reinforcement to support the rack: 50 to 100 pounds
  • Generator with fuel/oil: 70 pounds
  • Firewood 50 to 100 pounds
Let's leave out the firewood and call that 200 pounds.

Your tongue weight should be about 400...stock.
Put that on the front, above the battery/propane, and you've increased tongue weight by 50%.
Hang it off the back, and you've decreased tongue weight by MORE than 50% because of the extra structure to attach to the frame...very dangerous.

Now consider that your CCC (cargo capacity) is about 1000 to 1200 pounds, and with water, and gear...and without the extra weight of the rack, generator, and firewood...you'll typically be near your cargo capacity.
Can you manage that? Sure, but if your rig is like mine, your fresh tank is 26 gallons x 8.3 pounds per gallon = 217 pounds all by itself. A full load of gear, full propane tanks, and so on can use up the remaining capacity quickly.

My inside load is usually:
  • Two flip-lid tubs of food
  • Full fridge
  • Cabinets packed with supplies
  • Shower packed with sundries
  • The factory gas grill and frame
  • Charcoal grill and charcoal
  • All the blankets and other bedding
  • Two duffels with clothes
  • Tools, hardware, flashlights, lanterns, bear spray, batteries, and, and, and ....hell, my 18 volt cordless drill weighs a couple pounds.
In short...800 to 1000 pounds goes fast, and I doubt that using 10% of the rig's CCC for a rack will buy you any advantage...except exterior storage for the fuel-laden generator.

In my TV, I have the generator, firewood, camp chairs, two big coolers, 4 Reliance 7 Gallon Water Jugs, a spare propane tank, a propane fire pit.

Juggle that as you will, you don't have 100 to 200 pounds of CCC to spare on a rack. If your TV is an SUV or similarly enclosed vehicle (not a pickup), throw the generator and GOOD fuel can inside the door of the PUP, and anchor it with some stout bungees to eye-bolts you add. The PUP will air out during setup. If you plan well, the generator will fit in the dinette slide under the collapsed table. Add a throw rug under the generator and fuel can to protect the floor and a rubber strip on the "walls" to protect them.
2006 Ram 1500 4WD Crew with Firestone Airbags
Every weekend boondocking in the National Forests or at Lake Vallecito.
jimmoore13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 10:37 AM   #31

Just curious if a WDH would help with the issue of hitch weight and sway caused by adding bikes or a basket on the back? Or maybe just counter the weight by adding heavier items towards the front of the camper?
morrisjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 11:34 AM   #32

In my case, the additional 350 lbs. weight of my motorcycle and its carrier on the rear is balanced by a 150 Lb. generator and spare battery carried on the tongue.

It still leaves me with 400 Lbs. cargo capacity. I carry heavier cargo (tools, etc.) in my SUV and only light cargo (clothing) in the camper. Tongue weight is 420 lbs (about 13% of total) and it pulls well as long as I stay below 70 MPH.

I am currently installing a WDH for a planned trip out to the Southwest, as I have been there before and am aware of strong winds (up to 75 MPH) in those states.

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 12:16 PM   #33

Hello Bushfamily.

Congrats on the HW296. A very nice pop up indeed.

I would advise you to find another route to accomplish what you wish.

I use two Rubbermaid tuff totes to carry my wood inside the pop up between the fridge and the shower. When you slide the dinette in it keeps it from moving around. This also places the weight behind the wheels so there is a bit of tongue weight lessening. People have mentioned lots about that. Personally, i do not find any difference towing. A generator I would simply place in the inside the door. I use that living room area to hold my totes that hold all the stuff my front bin used to hold. As you figured out, Rockwood simply kept the 16 foot footprint of the HW256 and made the front bin area living space. Great for room but Rockwood does not understand that pop ups campers need camping stuff. I use totes for all that. And it does add up in weight. So i get a bit of counter balancing going on I suspect.

Best of luck and enjoy the pop up.

Vin.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 12:39 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushfamily5 View Post
Got it. Don't do it.

Another question or two then as tow with an SUV so I can not simply put the genny in a truck bed:

1. Those who carry it in the trailer - What about the gas fumes? Not fire risk so much but smell?

2. Would an LP generator produce lees smell in the trailer during transport?

Hondaman 174 - Yes, I did notice it AND used it to put on a small rack that carried a Honda 2000 generator and 4-5 small firewood bundles. I loved this option but maybe I shouldn't do that again due to reduction in hitch weight?

Thank you all
I guess everyone missed that you are NOT doing it.

Gas smell depends on your generator. My Yamaha has a fuel closure that solves thos problem as long as you don't spill refueling it. I believe the Hondas are sealed but not sure perhaps other or you can verify that. Propane (I have a champion dual fuel) does not seem to smell but I let it air out a bit before packing it into the trailer. If you did put gas in it then they are vented so it would smell.

For a small generator could your roof support 50lbs on the SUV? I think just inside the door over axle is best though.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator