Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2012, 10:13 AM   #1

Rain

OK, very new at this whole popup thing. Been trailer camping for over 30 years, but now newly retired and living a very modest lifestyle and decided to try out this mode of camping. Something occurred to me, what happens if the tent gets rained upon? I'm planning a solo trip next year where I will be stopping for one-nighters along the way. If the canvas gets wet, then you pack it all back up into the box, and move to your next stopover, does the wet canvas make the stuff (bedding esp.) inside wet? Seems that it would. I'm sure others of you have encountered this. I know touching a wet tent from the inside will tend to wick moisture inward.

Jim
papa_jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 10:30 AM   #2

I kept my canvas(outside) treated with ScotchGaurd. And washed it regularly. If it was raining or was wet before packing it in, used a towel to wipe up the best we could. Water would shed off very well if you keep it treated with the ScotchGaurd. Be sure to open it up to dry as soon as you can. Yes, I did have some moisture on the mattress at times but letting it air out was no problem.
Timex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 10:47 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

With both our popup and hybrid there have been times when we put away wet.

As Timex advised, try to wipe off as much as you can. You can also use towels on the beds to limit how much the mattress can get wet.

But, its going to happen that you will need to put away during a downpour and you just have to deal with it.

What is most important is to open up again as soon as possible and let the tent ends dry thoroughly in order to prevent mildew or mold.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 11:14 AM   #4

Thanks to both of you for your answers. As a follow up, is there some kind of moisture absorber that you can leave in the trailer? Seems to me I used something like this years ago in my boat. Sort of a "mold-preventer?"

Also, I see there are different "flavors" of Scothguard. Which type would be appropriate for tents?
Old 09-15-2012, 11:15 AM   #5

The secret is keeping it clean and treated. DON'T STORE IT WET AND LET MILDEW START. A couple days folded up would be ok, but no longer. You probably won't be camping in it in real cold(well below freezing) anyway. If a mattress does get wet, leave the canvas off that end and let the sun and wind do it's work. We had a ball in ours. That's real camping! The BOSS wanted facilities and ruined everything!
Old 09-15-2012, 11:19 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa_jim View Post
Thanks to both of you for your answers. As a follow up, is there some kind of moisture absorber that you can leave in the trailer? Seems to me I used something like this years ago in my boat. Sort of a "mold-preventer?"
I used Damp Rid. My Walmart didn't carry it, at the time. But Lowes/Home Depot will. Of course folded up, You won't have must air space to absorb. Like I say, make sure(for sure) it is COMPLETELY dry before storing and you will not have a problem.
Old 09-15-2012, 11:32 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

I also like to use Damp Rid (unscented).

I put a big one in the camper for long period such as during the winter.

The little ones that hang up are nice, too.

You can get these through Amazon, I believe.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 11:51 AM   #8

Timex, I started out 30+ years ago, big with all the creature comforts. I'm working my way down...back to basics. But after tent camping for the past few years, this popup is going to seem like the Ritz Carlton...or at least that's the plan!
Old 09-15-2012, 07:57 PM   #9

Not much more than a tent on wheels. My previous trailer, I hung a DampRid bag to help with the moisture buildup in winter. As it absorbs moisture, the inside of the bag fills with water. The durn thing froze and I didn't know it and the bag burst. Spilled on the floor. The water had turned into an oily consistency. What a mess! The BOSS was not happy. Lesson learned, when it gets full, hang another up!
They work really well.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:25 PM   #10

Another trick is to keep a couple of cheapy plastic drop cloths from Home Depot or Lowes. These are the SUPER thin ones. I keep 2 in a gallon ziplock bag. If tents are wet, I usually flip my matresses over (plastic side up), then put the drop cloth over that. If the tents are wet, this will stave off all badness until you get to the next set up point.
mattgator is offline   Reply With Quote