Old 08-29-2012, 12:21 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackrock View Post
Yes you can run the 12v switch on while traveling and for short stops but switch it to 110v or propane for longer stays. The little fridge will keep things cool enough for about four hours without any power. The coldness settings go up and I ran mine about the mid range. It helps to plug in to 110v at home the night before you leave then to 12v while on the road.

Blackrock, the one thing I do have a question about is "do I have to have or is it a requirement to have the fridge in the "off" position BEFORE plugging in to the house"? This is unclear in my manual. I'm sure it would be the best procedure, but would like some clarification just to ease my mind. Thanks in advance.

2004 GMC Sierra 2500HD LT 4x4 6.0 / 4:10

The best plans can be of those that happen in the spur of the moment!
Briorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 12:30 PM   #12
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briorick

Blackrock, the one thing I do have a question about is "do I have to have or is it a requirement to have the fridge in the "off" position BEFORE plugging in to the house"? This is unclear in my manual. I'm sure it would be the best procedure, but would like some clarification just to ease my mind. Thanks in advance.
I may be wrong but doesn't it automatically switch over ?

Old 08-29-2012, 01:10 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
I may be wrong but doesn't it automatically switch over ?

Not that I'm aware of. If the fridge toggle switch is in the "off" position, it's off.

I just want to make sure that IF I forget to turn off the 12vac switch while breaking camp and returning home, and then next time I shore line before going out, I don't need to worry about the fridge should I had forgotten to turn the switch off. I am pretty attentive to this, but we do get easily distracted at times. Just trying to avoid any type of surges. Thanks.

Old 08-29-2012, 04:21 PM   #14

I connect to the van and then turn on the Red 12V for drives of 3 hrs or more, gets the fridge cool enough to load things from the cooler when we setup camp. After about 10-12 hrs on setting 5 it gets to about 42*.

If going local or a short tow, I plug the camper in the night before and switch on the green 120V switch. Then, turn it off when I hookup to the van, switch to 12V, and after checking the camp shore power I'll turn it back on to 120V after switching off the 12V red switch.

We just got our camper a few weeks ago and only have two trips on it, so we haven't used the LP to keep it cool except for the demo when we picked up the camper.
SchafferFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 04:53 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchafferFamily View Post
I connect to the van and then turn on the Red 12V for drives of 3 hrs or more, gets the fridge cool enough to load things from the cooler when we setup camp. After about 10-12 hrs on setting 5 it gets to about 42*.

If going local or a short tow, I plug the camper in the night before and switch on the green 120V switch. Then, turn it off when I hookup to the van, switch to 12V, and after checking the camp shore power I'll turn it back on to 120V after switching off the 12V red switch.

We just got our camper a few weeks ago and only have two trips on it, so we haven't used the LP to keep it cool except for the demo when we picked up the camper.

Thank you. I do the same when preparing an outing. LOL, I was confusing myself in my 12V vs. 120V Sheesh!

I am still curious to know if the 120V switch ( make sure I have this correct now ) has to be "OFF" before plugging into any Shore Power? And then turned ON, or does it really matter?

We, here at home, are having a little debate over this and a possible surge effect to the fridge. Thanks all.

Old 08-30-2012, 12:58 PM   #16

I think it would be best to have it off before plugging into Shore power, but I don't think it is a requirement. I prefer to have no load on the system when I go to plug things in, even have the shore power breaker off.

Now, if you have the 120V switch on, but the shore power breaker off at the pedestal when you plug in, that's fine, as there is no juice running thru the line at the time of contact.
SchafferFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 03:01 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchafferFamily View Post
I think it would be best to have it off before plugging into Shore power, but I don't think it is a requirement. I prefer to have no load on the system when I go to plug things in, even have the shore power breaker off.

Now, if you have the 120V switch on, but the shore power breaker off at the pedestal when you plug in, that's fine, as there is no juice running thru the line at the time of contact.

Thanks, that's what we were thinking as well, but felt it best to ask others for their opinion and experiences. We love all the options this NTU Pup offers, but it sure has been a learning experience. And this forum seems to be a "been there, done that" making it so great asking. By this time next year we will be ole pros. Thanks again.