Old 09-25-2011, 12:52 AM   #31
Alm

DC consumption

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyDan View Post
I had a previous trailer with a 3 way power fridge.
I found that it actually partially drained my trailer battery while on the
road. It really is a HUGE amp draw on 12v dc power.
many of us run with the LP on.
Like Goody59 said, it's not safe to run LP on the road. Manual may not say it, but it did say so in older fridges and I doubt things have changed drastically since then.

And - yes, big new LP fridge does consume 12V when running on LP, and a lot of it. About 12 AH daily. This is MORE than top-loading non-LP fridge like Engel or Sundanzer draws when running on DC. Most Engel models run on both AC and DC, Sundanzer is 12V DC only, and they make sense for both cooling on the run and boondocking, even if you don't have solar panels. Engel is specifically made to work in moving vehicles, good protection against vibration. There are 2 problems, though.
1) These models are small: the biggest AC/DC Engel MT80 is mere 2.5 cu.ft, and Sundanzer DCR50 is smaller yet - 1.8 cu.ft.
2) Even small 23" Sundanzer can be a problem to get through some trailer doors. Engel is narrower, though.

There are good 5.8 cu.ft models from Sundanzer and better yet models from Steca, but with 26" or 27" width it would be impossible to get in most trailers without removing large window (and even then it might not be possible in some trailers). Taking dead LPG fridge out can be same difficult, btw.

Sorry for this rant, - just keep in mind that modern LP fridges consume both LP and 12V power. Older LP fridges have no electronics and therefore don't consume 12V in LP mode.

PS: my typo, sorry. Engel MT80 is 2.7 cu.ft. MT60 is 2 cu.ft. Last 2 numbers in model name are quarts (liters).

Old 09-25-2011, 03:27 AM   #32

They work best on Propane I believe, second on 110 and third 12V. The problem is that I consider running fridge on gas whilst driving is dangerous and that is backed up by manufacturers warnings. 12 V is ok if you can supply 12 v. What I mean is that 12 via the trailer plug connection from tow vehicle is not 12 v due to voltage drop between vehicle battery and van battery usually. This applies to charging tent trailer deep cycle battery as you are driving. Voltage drop is the problem here. It would take a bloody long drive to keep tent trailer battery charged from vehicle through trailer plug. Solution- run heavy cable from under the hood battery (Fused at battery) to Anderson plug at rear of vehicle and Anderson plug with same heavy cable to the tent trailer battery (Fuse at battery) I am talking battery cable size cable. Large cable I know but that will avoid voltage drop and allow correct voltage to charge battery from vehicle alternator and supply sufficient 12 V to run your 3 way fridge. Dont leave fridge running though when you pary for and time longer than 30 minutes as fridge has large power draw and that will flatten vehicle battery and tent trailer battery quickly when motor not running. I used 3 AWG fused cables in positive and negative runs to Anderson plug and then to tent trailer battery to avoid voltage drop and charge tent trailer battery and run 12 for fridge as I drive. That was my choice out of the options available.

Old 09-25-2011, 05:33 PM   #33
Alm

Quote:
They {3 way fridges} work best on Propane I believe, second on 110 and third 12V.
Speaking of cooling - yeah, though not much difference. LP cooling can be poor when ventilation is poor or ambient temps are too high. And in electric mode 3-ways are drawing 2-3 times more than the worst upright DC fridge, not to mention top-loading (chest style) DC fridges. Truck campers who replaced their dead LP with an upright DC fridge (still energy-inefficient, compared to DC top-loader), are happy and don't want to look back. TC are a different crowd, though - they often camp off-grid and don't have to deal with a long cable from TV.
Old 09-25-2011, 11:46 PM   #34

Yes, I agree with what you are saying for sure. Correct ventilation is so important in this 3 way fridge install.