Old 11-05-2012, 07:05 PM   #1

Question Repairing torn plastic windows

I have a 2005 Rockwood Premier model 2302 pop-up camper. There are a couple of rips in the plastic windows. Both rips are near the seam where the plastic is sewed into the canvas. I took it to a dealer and they tried to repair it using awning tape it did not hold. I'm kind of at a loss as to what to do besides replacing the whole section of canvas which I know will cost $$$$. Is there anyone out there selling used canvas parts or does someone know of a better way to repair the window without it looking too bad?

Old 11-05-2012, 07:26 PM   #2
Another rat in the race

Take it to a good upholsterer. One that works with "Sunbrela" material. the kind that makes custom covers and outside window awnings if it is in a place that can be fixed they will know and have the ability to do it. My Father in law used to do it, make boat covers that is, and had his friend hook us up with fixing our old pop up.

I saw one homemade job once where the person took the iron on patches and heated them up off the window and placed them on both sides so they adhered to the vinyl window and canvas and applied pressure until cool. It looked like it would hold, but don't really know, he was just a campsite neighbor. I have done that for the canvas sections and it did work for years.

Old 11-05-2012, 07:36 PM   #3

Thumbs up

The rip is in the tinted plastic window. Would they be able to sew some kind of a replacement piece in that would look okay? I guess the good thing is the rip is near the seam and the zipper and I can cover it with the cloth window curtain so I don't have to look at the ugly thing. Thanks for your help!
Old 11-05-2012, 10:36 PM   #4
Another rat in the race

honestly without pictures I couldn't even give you a guess. But I was under the impression that the tear was on a seam. I would snap some pictures and take those to the upholsterer after all a picture is worth 1000 words.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:35 AM   #5
Incheon, S. Korea

bearcreekcanvas.com will take care of you. Call him. You'll just have to remove that one panel.
Mine is doing the same thing. It's either age or the canvas is too tight. With our old trailer it's age...
BigBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 12:29 AM   #6

Thanks

Thanks for sharing the link. I'll check them out. My only concern is the color of the panel on my camper is white and they don't seem to offer that color. For the record I've attached images of the rip so you can see how it looks. I wonder how expensive it would be to remove the panel and have someone sew in a new plastic window. My camper is put away for the winter so I guess I got all winter to figure out what I'm going to do next spring.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1792.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	21802   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1793.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	21803  
Old 11-25-2012, 12:53 AM   #7
Incheon, S. Korea

Yours looks just like mine...

I was told that you have to remove the existing stitching, use a clear vinyl repair kit to place strips on new vinyl over the tear, and then re-stitch it using a hand-held stitcher is the way to repair it without replacing the whole window. That's what I'm going to do.

Speedy Stitcher Sewing Awl

I hope this helps!