Old 06-18-2019, 06:12 AM   #1

Repeat Lift System Failure - 2017 Rockwood HW296

Anyone having any issues with their power lift (to lift & lower the hard top) "crushing" the mounting bracket? My unit has crushed two within 12 months. Comments & suggestions are welcomed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0617191750.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	205.5 KB
ID:	207648  

srpender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 03:23 PM   #2

Don't really know what to say after seeing your picture. Never seen or heard of such a failure. Have you taken it to dealer and did they say anything? Does Forest River have any comments?

Old 06-18-2019, 10:35 PM   #3

Repeat Lift System Failure - 2017 Rockwood HW296

I have the same year but a different model—HW276. I’ve noticed that the mounting bracket starts to bounce/flex near the end of the roof lift cycle. With that said, I believe your roof is of the same construction as mine, just longer therefore heavier. Sounds like FR needs to beef up the brackets on the HW296 possibly assuming your cable or lift system isn’t binding in some way upon lifting the roof.
OttieJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 08:37 AM   #4

That's insane!

The load the motor is pulling must be to too much for that frame?

I'll assume you have lubed the under carriage tubes with NLGI 2 and the 4 lift pillars with 30 weight oil as recommended?

If the dealer can't fix I would suggest better bracing for that thing?! Some extra steel straps maybe.
flyerdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 09:57 PM   #5

Thanks everyone. Power winch identified the cause as not stopping the lift system when it fully up or fully down. Likely limit switches incorrectly set. Hard lesson.
Old 06-22-2019, 03:14 PM   #6

Have set your start and stop points on the winch?
Cigar Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 03:50 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by srpender View Post
Thanks everyone. Power winch identified the cause as not stopping the lift system when it fully up or fully down. Likely limit switches incorrectly set. Hard lesson.
Well wouldn't you have to break your roof height indicator cable before hitting the High limit switch? Seems if the limit switch didn't take the motor out, you'd have a lot more damage to your tent and maybe roof and lifter posts?

If you're letting it down, you'd just have slack in your cable if you went to far.

Doesn't make sense to me.
2016 Ford F150 XLT, CC, 4WD, 145" WB, 5.0L, 6 speed, 3.73 9.75" Locking Axle, 1890# Payload, SAE J2807 method Actual 10,720# Tow Rating, pulling a 2020 Rockwood Premier 2716G Pop Up, with a 14' box. Previously had 2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH and 2008 Jayco Jay Flight 19BH Travel Trailers. Also previously had 2007 Starcraft 2406 Pop Up with 12' box and bathroom, Previously had 2005 Rockwood 2290 Pop Up with 12' box and porta potty cabinet. Trucks and Trailers.
Mike91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 04:16 PM   #8

Comments to Cigar Mike & Mike91

Cigar Mike ... paid the selling dealer, Campers Inn (Kings Mountain, NC) to do just that after they replaced the crushed mounting plate (was delivered with a crushed mounting plate).

Mike91 ... the top "powers down" so the cable is under a load coming down. It will continue if the stop is not set correctly

Thanks everyone for the comments. I have a new mounting plate on the way and a competent independent serviceman doing the replacement and setting the limit switches for both the "up" and "down" motion on the system.
Old 06-22-2019, 05:07 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by srpender View Post
Cigar Mike ... paid the selling dealer, Campers Inn (Kings Mountain, NC) to do just that after they replaced the crushed mounting plate (was delivered with a crushed mounting plate).

Mike91 ... the top "powers down" so the cable is under a load coming down. It will continue if the stop is not set correctly

Thanks everyone for the comments. I have a new mounting plate on the way and a competent independent serviceman doing the replacement and setting the limit switches for both the "up" and "down" motion on the system.

I think Mike91 is referring to this cable (red) in the picture. Even without limit switches set, you release the main winch switch when it’s taut.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8135.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	191.8 KB
ID:	207976
OttieJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 05:25 PM   #10

Thanks for your comment OttieJB. The failure occurred in the "down" mode, as the individual did NOT release the switch when the top was fully down, but instead "tightened up" the down position ... bummer, since the individual was not me.

Tags
lift, rockwood