Old 09-27-2011, 11:01 PM   #1
Replacement for bag awning

Have a 2012 HW27 tent camper that came with a bag awning. I find the bag awning too cumbersome to put up alone and too flimsy.

Has anyone used a box type awning on their tent camper?

thanks in advance.

Javabean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 11:57 PM   #2
I know what you mean about the bag awnings, what a pain, I hated deploying that thing, luckily I never had to take it down in a rush with a impending storm.

I am not sure what you are referring to as a box type awning.

By the way, the awning was one of the big items that led me to trade away from a tent trailer. The list was long with big items....

flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 12:07 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
By box type, if you are referring to something like an "easy up", it can be done, but there will be a gap between the door and the canvas, as the legs are wider than the canvas that covers them.

Your other option may be a carport style awning that would cover the middle of the trailer and go beyond the door. Just thinking out loud.
2012 Ford F250 ext. Cab 4x4
2002 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 01:30 AM   #4
AKA Bluebird
Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
Here (click pics to enlarge) and here. I would contact Fiamma. I have respect for their product. However... $$$
Happy Camping! ///// Richard D.
2006 4x4 Ford 250 SD / 2007 Flagstaff 827 FLS
One very patient wife and one furry child who travels with us. Forty-two years of trailering and camping, and I still have a blast.

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 09:51 AM   #5
Originally Posted by dimurrrw
Here (click pics to enlarge) and here. I would contact Fiamma. I have respect for their product. However... $$$
Thanks for the reply I will look into both of these awnings.
Javabean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 04:38 PM   #6
Boxed awnings are fine Easyup I have one now for my Aframe. The best awning i have had was made by carefreeofcolarado ... excellent product .. easy to set up .. and much easier to lug around and set up than the box entiities -which are attached to the roof of your pup .. for those rainy .. days. pricier but easy to install on your pup.

2008 Nissan Frontier 4x4
2011 Rockwood A122
D-mo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 08:23 PM   #7
Wanna be Sir Campsalot
I made a mod to my bag awning that made it the most robust awning on the property this summer.

Last year, a surprise downpour broke our awning support rods while we were at the Sunday AM worship service. We used a wrench as a splint to get us through that trip, but we're looking to replace the rods for this summer's vacation.

When we couldn't get replacement parts for less than the cost of a new awning, I went to the local home improvement warehouse and got two pieces of rigid aluminum conduit big enough to cover the existing poles and that would slide over the pop-in connectors camperside. Cut these to the right length to extend the awning fully.

If downpoles are weak or bent as well, get PVC pipe that will slide over them. Since you're looking at vertical force, the side bend rigidity won't be an issue.

After installing both of these, I guyed the awning with a strap and dog tie out stakes. The only way we'd lose it now is if it rips the bag from the camper itself.

Rockwood Freedom 1640LTD / 97 Chevy Silverado 1500
Wildwood 26TBSS / 09 GMC Sierra 1500
K4RGD is offline   Reply With Quote