Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-03-2011, 01:19 PM   #1

Replacement for OEM indoor/outdoor stove

I just bought a 1998 Rockwood Freedom 1620 tent trailer. What looks to be an OEM stove came with it. It's connected to a gas line that comes from the tank up front. It can also be removed and connected to the outside of the trailer. I haven't tried using the stove yet, but noticed that it's pretty big and heavy (about 18 pounds). I believe it only has 6,500 BTUs in each of its two burners.

My question is: has anyone replaced their OEM stove with a newer, light model that can be used both inside and outside of the camper? I understand that most camp stoves are not meant to be used inside. I'm not sure how the OEM model manages that?

Thanks.

Gary
kuhnsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 02:31 PM   #2

Can't help on the replacement - but use indoors is managed by a huge sticker that says to use the fan, and open a window when cooking

On our A126 hard side, cracking the window behind the stove and turning on the fantastic fan pulls the LP exhaust from the burners right out of the camper - might need a different strategy on a tent model.
Reese 66065 WDH, Curt WDH Shank #17120
Prodigy P2 Brake Controller, Mopar 7-pin Harness
B&M Transmission Cooler (#70268)
Jeep4Two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 02:50 PM   #3
daydreaming about camping

I noticed that Camping World has newer style built in stoves/ranges, but not the older style.

You might be better off just getting a portable propane camping stove you can use anywhere.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 08:56 PM   #4

I've been popup camping for 20 plus years. Indoor/outdoor stoves are a lark ... as they have no power in wind .. and are basically useless ... Our indoor outdoor in our 05 Coachman clipper stayed on the floor 'til we sold the trailer ... never used. Our stove in the A122 is used ... but once in a while ..in bad bad bad weather .. as it is strickly indoors only. We use a Coleman single buner 1lb propane canaster stove .. and a Weber Q 120 ... and a Dutch oven for larger meals.

d-mo