Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-13-2012, 03:56 PM   #1

Replacing hardware on pop-up?

Hi,

I have a 2002 Rockwood premier 2516G new to me, that has one clamp (holds roof down to body in down position) that is rusted quite a bit. Has anyone replaced one, as well as the screws on some others, and where did you get the replacements?

Thank you.
DBinMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 04:53 PM   #2
Mostly Harmless

I hope this will help you: https://www.makariosrv.com/products/...tch-White.html

It's the exact item my Rockwood hard-side popup uses. Good luck!
2000 Silverado 1500 pickup
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
thehamguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 08:54 PM   #3

Check eBay! Congrats on the 2516G - just got a 2004 myself. Hope you enjoy it!
RRkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 08:11 AM   #4

Perfect!

That is exactly what I need. I sure hope all my questions are resolved this easily. Off to order my latch.
Old 03-14-2012, 01:14 PM   #5

Hubby repairs campers and all I can say is get it fixed before you take it out. He gets quite a few calls every year from people who didn't do any maintenance and first time out the top fell down-kind of ruins the trip !
jmswms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 09:56 AM   #6

Question Any sealant needed on screws when replacing clamps?

Got the 4 clamps this morning; Fedex. I'm doing all 4 so they are all bright white

Does anyone know if I use a sealant or caulking on the screws when replacing these clamps?

Seems to me this is a no-brainer but I'd like to ping those with experience on what product is best to use.

Thanks folks,
Dean
Old 03-16-2012, 10:35 AM   #7
Mostly Harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBinMA
Does anyone know if I use a sealant or caulking on the screws when replacing these clamps?
I think that's a good idea. It may not be absolutely necessary but it's a belt-and-suspenders kind of careful approach. I would shoot a bit of sealer in each hole before installing the screws, so that some of it squeezes out around the screw head to block capillary action from wicking moisture into the area.

As to caulking versus some other sealant, I'll defer to others here who may have stronger advice. I would think for that application it wouldn't make a difference what kind of sealer was used.
2000 Silverado 1500 pickup
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
thehamguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 01:38 PM   #8

Dean welcome to the forum. Its nice to see another Massachusetts guy on here!
Wally
Old 03-16-2012, 08:54 PM   #9

i would be a bit concerned about dry rot ... if any of my roof latches came unscrewed ...as I have had roof rot in our 1992 Flagstaff Colbra.
Push up the roof about 12 inches off the base of the camper .. and look under the lip of the roof. Any discolouration of the wood is mold if its soft .. rot is your problem ... and basically installing the same size screw is not going to help much. Lag bolts and large washers will fix this .. plus isolating where the water is coming in .. and sealing it up .. tight.
Once sealed .. leave the roof up in the 12 inch off base stance for a number of warm days .. to let the inner roof dry out.
If the roof wood drys out ... then you are basically good to go ....
Depending on the condition of your roof .. it could still last a very long time ... or at least a few good years.

hope this helps .. d-mo
Old 03-19-2012, 08:37 AM   #10

Hamguy1 - Thanks.. my thoughts exactly. I'll do some research and find out which product to use.

D-mo - Thank you for the advice. I don't have any rot. The paint on the latch chipped/cracked and this caused surface rust on the latch. I don't want rust stains on the camper dripping down from it so this is more preventative than anything. There are no loose screws or any backing out. I actually anticipate it being difficult to get the screws out.

DB