Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2013, 11:12 PM   #1

Reverse lights

I have a 2008 flagstaff 228. Does anyone know if there is wiring for reverse lights installed into the 7 pin connector? I'd like to put a few backup lights on for the odd late night arrivals. I don't want a flashlight or something temporary. I like permanent hard wired.
am-radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:13 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by am-radio View Post
I have a 2008 flagstaff 228. Does anyone know if there is wiring for reverse lights installed into the 7 pin connector? I'd like to put a few backup lights on for the odd late night arrivals. I don't want a flashlight or something temporary. I like permanent hard wired.
Not likely if the flagstaff didn't come oe with them.
Tv may not even be wired for them.

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:36 PM   #3

The 7 pin Bargman plug has no reverse/backup light provision. Sorry.
Reese 66065 WDH, Curt WDH Shank #17120
Prodigy P2 Brake Controller, Mopar 7-pin Harness
B&M Transmission Cooler (#70268)
Jeep4Two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 12:00 AM   #4

Quote:
The 7 pin connector usually has a center pin that's used for an auxiliary circuit that can probably be used for backup lights. see link

http://http://www.etrailer.com/faq-wiring.aspx
Old 02-27-2013, 12:21 AM   #5
aka Windjammer2012

My previous trailer was a 2000 Arctic Fox 29V and Nothwoods Mfg. saw fit to have backup lights (integrated within the tail lights). The factory 7 pin on my tv was set up for backup lights and I'm sure other manufacturers are the same. It's what happens from the tv back through the trailer that is in question. There are seven wires within the harness that plugs into the tv and I would suspect that harness is complete all the way back to the current lights in the trailer but the wire for the backup light is not used.
I bought the Windjammer too late in the year to do any investigation of the wiring but its on my to-do list as soon as the weather warms up a bit. I WILL be doing this mod as I see the neccessity fo having backup lights to illuminate as you spoke of but in additionally for others to see your intentions of backing up.

2012 Windjammer 3008W
2004 GMC 2500 HD CC Longbed
Crankshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:02 AM   #6

I guess it's simple enough to run a wire to the back, but my 7 pin looks "sealed". It would probably easier to get a new one and rewire it. I guess I should follow the wires out and see if I have 6 or 7 wires. My TV has reverse lights and I'm running a tekonsha P3 brake controller.
Old 02-27-2013, 11:25 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

You'd also have to change the rear light fixtures or add separate back-up fixtures which would be a better option.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:45 PM   #8

Just looked and I only have 6 wires coming out of the 7 pin connector. So... I might just have to wire them to a toggle switch, and turn them on when I get to the campground and start backing up. At home, my driveway is well lit up, so not needed.
Old 02-27-2013, 06:01 PM   #9
Missing Link

Your tv will have a reverse wire in it. Just need to add it to the taller side.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:25 AM   #10

Quote:
An easier option might be to buy a pair if cheap led lights from Walmart, mount to the rear bumper and run a wire to a toggle switch to the battery. Put in an inline fuse and you will be all set.
whitmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 02:15 PM   #11
daydreaming about camping

All 7 pin wiring has a provision for a reverse light feed. Many higher end trailers (cargo, toy hauler, boat, etc) have reverse lights built in.

If your tow vehicle has a factory tow package with 7 pin connector, then it almost surely has the reverse light circuit wired in.

As for the travel trailer, most use a standard 7 pin harness that will go back to a junction box on the a frame of the trailer. The reverse feed will be caped off there if the trailer does not have reverse lights. Each of the trailers I have owned, going back to an 87 Starcraft popup, has been wired the same way. This is on my list of moods to do with our current trailer.

Now that the reverse circuit actually functions to lock out the surge brakes on boat trailers for backing up hills.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 02:30 PM   #12
aka Windjammer2012

Exactly what jeeplj8 said! Now all you have to do is connect to the capped off wire in the junction box and run a 12 or 14 gauge wire to the rear of your trailer reverse lights depending on which way you install them...either new combination lights (my choice) or auxilliary lights mounted separately. Use the ground wire that is already at your current tail lights.

2012 Windjammer 3008W
2004 GMC 2500 HD CC Longbed
Crankshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 11:01 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindJammer2012 View Post
Exactly what jeeplj8 said! Now all you have to do is connect to the capped off wire in the junction box and run a 12 or 14 gauge wire to the rear of your trailer reverse lights depending on which way you install them...either new combination lights (my choice) or auxilliary lights mounted separately. Use the ground wire that is already at your current tail lights.
I don't have 7 wires running out of the cable. I only have 6. I don't have the backup wire. I would have to cut the 7 pin harness off an install a new one with all wires and resolder all wires. Running a wire from the battery to the reverse lights with a toggle and inline fuse would be much easier.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:33 AM   #14

Quote:
I don't have 7 wires running out of the cable. I only have 6. I don't have the backup wire. I would have to cut the 7 pin harness off an install a new one with all wires and resolder all wires. Running a wire from the battery to the reverse lights with a toggle and inline fuse would be much easier.
What colors do you have coming out of your harness?

The reverse lights are typically yellow:

Old 03-04-2013, 11:29 AM   #15

I have all the colors listed except yellow.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:31 AM   #16

OK - then your harness does not have the reverse circuit. You could pick it up at the TV or replaced the harness on your A-frame.

Old 03-04-2013, 11:40 AM   #17

I think I'll just put reverse lights on a toggle switch. I don't need reverse lights that often. No I just have to decide in what lights. I want a clean install in my flimsy C channel rear bumper. Anyone installed small LED or SMS round bulbs?
Old 03-05-2013, 12:43 PM   #18

I think I will do the same. Please post pictures when you are done.
whitmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:43 PM   #19

There are a few good threads on this topic that I've been reading on the Popup Portal Forums.

Some guys are using the Automotive LED strips that are one continuous strip and mounting it to the rear bumper. Doesn't protrude more than about 1/4" from the surface, and provides a uniform backup light.

Others are using little 4" 18W or 27W LED flood lights that are mounted slightly inboard of the bumper end, and angled in such a way to provide light behind and off to the side a little. This is what I'm going to do shortly. I found some nice ones on Ebay from this guy -- Powerbulbs

What I'm going to do is place them on my back bumper rail, tucked in near my spare tire mount, angled 30* off to the side or so. I'll play with the light position so the edges of the beams meet behind the camper and give me a decent flood.

Most recommend just wiring a fused line to a waterproof toggle switch and the battery. This way, when you get to a site you scope it out anyway by walking behind the camper first, just throw the toggle and you are good to go.

If you are an in-depth electrical guy, there are also discussions on relays and wiring to your TV.
SchafferFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 10:38 AM   #20

Here are some photos and info about the installation of my lights now that they are in place and soldered up!

-> Our Camping Blog <-
SchafferFamily is offline   Reply With Quote