Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-26-2014, 05:22 PM   #1

Rockwood 1640LTD Fridge - No Access Panel?

Hey everyone -

First "real" post here (after my introduction!) I have searched these forums extensively and can not find anything relating to my issue, so I apologize if I'm beating a dead horse here...

I am a new owner of a brand new 2013 Rockwood Freedom 1640LTD. My wife and I love it. It was camped in for the time last weekend.

Our issue, is that the refrigerator never gets cold. I bought a brand new deep cycle battery, which is powering everything else in the camper. Also connected to 120v external power. Like everyone else has stated, I have no idea if my fridge is on. I left it connected and "on" for 3 days, and the fridge never got remotely cold.

Now, from what I'm reading from everyone else - You open the access panel on the side of the camper to change the power source for the fridge. I have NO access panel. There is nothing on the back side of the camper that would give me access to the back of the fridge. I have searched high and low, under the camper, under the sink, everywhere I could think would be a reasonable spot for controls - And I can't find anything. I got documentation for every single piece of equipment in or on my camper - except for the fridge. I even tried taking out the 4 white screws that hold the fridge to the base cabinet to slide it out to look behind it, but it only pulls out about an inch.

After doing a Google image search, every single other 1640LTD I see has a pair of vents / covers on the back side of the camper behind where the fridge would be. Mine definitely does not. Why would that be? The camper is completely stock from the factory. The fridge wasn't added afterwards. Now I'm completely confused.

I'm a complete newbie with Rockwood popups (but very mechanically savvy), so I apologize if I'm missing something really obvious.

Thanks in advance for any help or insight!

--
Kevin
Blackvapor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 06:02 PM   #2

I am not completely sure so I hope this doesn't come across wrong, are you sure you have a refer?
I think a icebox was standard and refer was optional.
If you are sure it a fridge, on the backside of the camper there should be two vent covers one on top of the other. The refer will be the bottom one.
2017 Ford F350 Crewcab Dually Diesel
Officially homeless and loving it.
Ham Callsign K9NDY
Indymule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 06:16 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indymule View Post
I am not completely sure so I hope this doesn't come across wrong, are you sure you have a refer?
I think a icebox was standard and refer was optional.
If you are sure it a fridge, on the backside of the camper there should be two vent covers one on top of the other. The refer will be the bottom one.
X2

video at 44 sec says" ice box"

Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32) 2018 (42) 2019 (28) 2020 (35)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 06:58 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonzie View Post
X2

video at 44 sec says" ice box"
Well... My Grandparents always referred to their refrigerator as an "icebox." To me, the two descriptions are interchangeable.

With that said - I ASSUMED it was a refer... We could call it a purple polka-dotted penguin for all I care, but the simple fact is - It's supposed to get cold, right? There's definitely no access panels on the back side. Just the water in/out and power cable. No vents, doors, access panels, nothing. So I'm not sure what I'm missing as far as how to turn it on. Like I said, I've got a new battery connected and connected to a 120v external outlet, and it sat for 3 days with no change in temp.

I guess I'll have to swing by a Forest River dealer on Monday and pick their brain. Maybe that's part of the reason I got such a good deal! Lol
Old 09-26-2014, 07:04 PM   #5

Usually "ice box" means you have to put ice in it like a portable cooler. It would not be a refrigerator.....
Nights Camped: 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32) 2018 (42) 2019 (28) 2020 (35)
Old 09-26-2014, 07:07 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonzie View Post
Usually "ice box" means you have to put ice in it like a portable cooler. It would not be a refrigerator.....
I was just about to reply to my own post when your reply came across... It finally hit me. It's like a built in cooler. I have to add my own ice... Duh.

Now I feel like a complete idiot. Haha. Live and learn. I guess that answers a lot of questions.

Thanks for catering to the newbie, guys!
Old 09-26-2014, 07:10 PM   #7

Old 09-26-2014, 07:18 PM   #8

So, now knowing what I do... What do you guys think the feasibility is of pulling that cooler out, and replacing it with a 110v mini-fridge that could plug in to one of the interior outlets, or creating a watertight outlet to plug into campground power?
Old 09-26-2014, 07:24 PM   #9
Done with this

I put one in our Jayco 10v. I had to cut vent holes, top and bottom, and used small round grills from Lowes, I think. I ran the power cord out with the cord from the camper so it would plug into the CG power box. It worked dang good, and easy to install.

I'm a little too truthful, I guess.
Y'all have fun in "Fantasy Land".
4mula1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 07:31 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4mula1fan View Post
I put one in our Jayco 10v. I had to cut vent holes, top and bottom, and used small round grills from Lowes, I think. I ran the power cord out with the cord from the camper so it would plug into the CG power box. It worked dang good, and easy to install.
Thanks for the info!

That's pretty much what I was thinking... Obviously, we wouldn't be able to keep it cold while we traveled, but those fridges don't take that long to get cold.

When you say that you cut vent holes top and bottom - Where exactly do you mean? Though the side of the camper? What did you do to keep from rain / moisture getting in?
Old 09-26-2014, 07:41 PM   #11
Done with this

Yes, through the side. I put 2 of these on top, and 2 on the bottom. Drill with a hole saw for your drill, and do some careful measuring before drilling the holes.

Shop CMI Aluminum Aluminum Under Eave Vent (Fits Opening: 2-in; Actual: 2-5/16-in) at Lowes.com

Old 09-26-2014, 08:23 PM   #12

So is that what he has? An ice box?

Is this a vertical thing or is it a chest like a normal cooler?

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 08:26 PM   #13
Done with this

They look just like a fridge, but has a tray for a small block of ice. They have a tube to drain the water outside.

Tags
fridge, rockwood