Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2014, 11:51 PM   #1

Rockwood freedom 1910

I've got a 09 rockwood freedom 1910 and I'm not really sure if I fully understand how the power winch system works. I can raise the top using the winch on battery power, but it does not work connected to shore power alone and if the battery is removed. I need to have a battery connected. Last week I went camping and the battery I had was fried and I raised the winch using shore power ( dead battery still connected). So it seems asbi need to have a connection in order for the winch to work. I also seem to blowing the fuse on the positive terminal wires every time I connect and disconnect the battery. Does anyone know if it is supposed to be a 15amp or 20 amp fuse....? And what is this fuse for? Any help understanding this would be greatly appreciated... Thanks
Taco93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 03:24 AM   #2

That inline fuse on my previous camper was a low tech way to kill power to the camper so parasitic drains such as propane sensor and such wouldn't drain the battery while not in use........I remember mine being a 25 amp blade fuse.
Trevor43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 02:29 PM   #3

The winch motor is connected directly to the battery and does not go through that fuse, so the battery needs to be there for the winch to work. If your battery was dead, and you lifted the roof on shore power, the converter in the camper was supplying that power to the battery through that fuse to work the winch.

My high wall, it is a 30 amp fuse, not sure if your model would use adifferent rated fuse or not.
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 07:31 PM   #4

The power lift is a separate connection on battery it is only linked with the converter when the battery is connectedI do not think that the power converter even if it was connected to the electric lift would not be able to power the lift because it is probably only 25 amps and the lift system is close to 40 amps. So i would not reccommend that you try to run it from shore power without battery it would overload the converter and dammage it.
bleurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 10:02 PM   #5

I have two 30 amp fuses. One is inline for the wire that connects two batteries in parallel, the other to the trailer's converter.

As others have noted, the winch is direct to the battery and on my popup is the wire with the inline breaker attached right where the wire connects to the battery's positive cable. If you have a dead battery, and no pedestal to connect to, connect the TV. I know on my Silverado, the trailer wire circuit is 40 amp rated. If not, you can always use jumper cables or a dedicated jumper box.

Also believe if everything is lubed correctly and moves freely in the lift, the motor will not draw the full 40 amps so a pedestal could raise it.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rockwood