Old 06-24-2013, 03:20 PM   #11

Another thing, with regards to a generator. Would I need an inverter generator or not? If I'm going inverter it's most likely a Honda or Yamaha. Would using a normal generator hurt the camper or any of the electronically components in it?

Old 06-24-2013, 03:46 PM   #12

I use the blue stuff from Walmart in my black tank. Just make sure you allow plenty of water to flow through the black tank. You don't want solids sitting on the bottom of the tank. And only empty the tank when it's near full. Just hook up the drain line to a dump station and use plenty of water to wash it out. Same with the gray tank. Just wash them out well.

Unless you dry camp for an extended period of time and are keen on using your microwave and such or need your A/C, you don't necessarily need a generator. We've been dry camping for up to 10 days all my life and never needed a generator. The only power we use is the lights right before bedtime and power to run the water pump. We cook on propane and run the fridge on propane.

bradnailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 03:59 PM   #13

For the black tank you have a choice of the blue formaldehyde based or the green "natural" type chemical. Both are available at any RV dealer or on-line. You just pour it in through the toilet. Usually you don't have to worry about the grey tank, since it is getting a continuous flush of soapy water. As for flushing the tank after dumping, I just use a wand sprayer down through the toilet. In the HW296, the tank is directly below the toilet, so it is easy. Unfortunately, in a pop-up, you can't use the spray wand at the dump station after dumping, because the camper will be closed up. Your only option there is to install a quickie flush type sprayer in the black tank, or just wait until you get home and set the camper back up to clean it out, if you have that option. (that's what I do). I looked into to a quickie flush install, but the holding tank is above the flooring, so that would make it a little tricky. Hope this helps.

Bob
2013 Rockwood HW296
w4drr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 12:03 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by w4drr View Post
For the black tank you have a choice of the blue formaldehyde based or the green "natural" type chemical. Both are available at any RV dealer or on-line. You just pour it in through the toilet. Usually you don't have to worry about the grey tank, since it is getting a continuous flush of soapy water. As for flushing the tank after dumping, I just use a wand sprayer down through the toilet. In the HW296, the tank is directly below the toilet, so it is easy. Unfortunately, in a pop-up, you can't use the spray wand at the dump station after dumping, because the camper will be closed up. Your only option there is to install a quickie flush type sprayer in the black tank, or just wait until you get home and set the camper back up to clean it out, if you have that option. (that's what I do). I looked into to a quickie flush install, but the holding tank is above the flooring, so that would make it a little tricky. Hope this helps. Bob
All makes sense! I really appreciate all the advice that is being given! I cannot wait to go pickup my camper. Does anyone know if the HW296 has a electric water heater or not? I know it has propane but I'm really hoping I can use electric as propane makes me uncomfortable sometimes.
Old 06-25-2013, 02:02 PM   #15

Unless they changed it on 2014 models, your water heater will be propane only, and not electric/propane. That is kind of a bummer, because I would prefer to heat my water with the campground's electricity instead of my propane. I don't know why they got cheap on the water heater, because the High Wall pop-ups have most of the other amenities found in full-size travel trailers.

Bob
2013 Rockwood HW296
Old 06-25-2013, 11:16 PM   #16

Quote:
Unless they changed it on 2014 models, your water heater will be propane only, and not electric/propane. That is kind of a bummer, because I would prefer to heat my water with the campground's electricity instead of my propane. I don't know why they got cheap on the water heater, because the High Wall pop-ups have most of the other amenities found in full-size travel trailers. Bob
Man! That's really a bummer, but not necessarily a deal breaker for me. Can you at least ignite it from inside? If not, I might look at having a unit installed that can do that.
Old 06-25-2013, 11:53 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey Straker View Post

Man! That's really a bummer, but not necessarily a deal breaker for me. Can you at least ignite it from inside? If not, I might look at having a unit installed that can do that.
All automatic. Flip the switch and wait ten seconds. Don't think it burns that much propane. Hardest part is remembering that the switch is on when you pack up.

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 07:29 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by HONDAMAN174 View Post
All automatic. Flip the switch and wait ten seconds. Don't think it burns that much propane. Hardest part is remembering that the switch is on when you pack up.
Oh so the water heater acts like one in a house where it kicks on when it needs it.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:59 AM   #19

Yes, I should have mentioned the fact it is thermostatically controlled, only coming on when needed. It has an automatic electric ignitor also, so you don't need to light the pilot like some of the older RV water heaters. And like hondaman mentioned, don't forget to turn the switch off when you pack up. Our last trip I pulled that stunt....left it on. It ran a week, keeping that water in the tank nice and warm, before I discovered it. It happened to light when I was out in the yard near the camper and I recognized that unmistakable sound, and immediately realized what I had done. Fortunately, the water heater switch in a HW296 is easy to get to without raising the roof. (Sure wish the refrigerator was that easy to get to with the roof down).

Bob
2013 Rockwood HW296
Old 06-26-2013, 11:17 AM   #20

Quote:
Yes, I should have mentioned the fact it is thermostatically controlled, only coming on when needed. It has an automatic electric ignitor also, so you don't need to light the pilot like some of the older RV water heaters. And like hondaman mentioned, don't forget to turn the switch off when you pack up. Our last trip I pulled that stunt....left it on. It ran a week, keeping that water in the tank nice and warm, before I discovered it. It happened to light when I was out in the yard near the camper and I recognized that unmistakable sound, and immediately realized what I had done. Fortunately, the water heater switch in a HW296 is easy to get to without raising the roof. (Sure wish the refrigerator was that easy to get to with the roof down). Bob
Sweet! This sounds awesome. Hopefully the water heater isn't too terribly loud. Is it good for taking like 20 minute showers? And how long does it take between usable cycles if it can't go the whole time. Sorry, I have like a million questions but each one gets me more excited. I am amazed of the automation. Like the water pump coming on when it needs too. I though you turn on the pump only when you need it. Very cool. I have many mods already planned like LED's, possibly a gas/electric suburban water heater (unlikely but possible), Xbox, blue ray, and 5.1 surround audio (for younger ones), 12V fans to assist the fridge, and maybe build a battery/generator panel to start/stop a generator from the camper. Then see power consumption and a bunch of other stats.