Old 06-26-2013, 11:35 AM   #21

As convenient as it is to have the shower, taking one in there is usually a last resort- not a lot of space plus being conscious of how much water you are using/ putting in your grey tank. Yes, if you have hook ups you can drain the tank but who wants to mess with the sewer hose after a shower. Not to mention 6 gallons doesn't last terribly long. Seems to take about 20 minutes to recover though.

Sounds like you have done ideas on mods already so have fun building your castle.

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 11:40 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by HONDAMAN174 View Post
As convenient as it is to have the shower, taking one in there is usually a last resort- not a lot of space plus being conscious of how much water you are using/ putting in your grey tank. Yes, if you have hook ups you can drain the tank but who wants to mess with the sewer hose after a shower. Not to mention 6 gallons doesn't last terribly long. Seems to take about 20 minutes to recover though. Sounds like you have done ideas on mods already so have fun building your castle.
Defiantly! Keep an eye out for future posts, I love doing DIY's I have over 20 on Acurazine. I love improving things. Like insulation around the water pump. That's defiantly one. Any of you some anything to yours?

Old 06-26-2013, 11:43 AM   #23

I wouldn't be planning on any 20 minute showers, unless you like it cold. The water heater is only 6 gallon, so it can run out pretty quick. You have to take "Navy showers", which means wet down, turn off the water, soap up, turn on the water and rinse off. The handheld shower sprayer has an on/off button, so you don't have to re-adjust the temperature everytime you turn off and back on. As for hot water recovery time, I have never really timed it, but would guess something like 20 minutes maybe. And FYI, with the extruded carbon filter element in the WaterPur water filter, the shower was almost unusable due to low pressure, so we took the filter element back out. We always use an in-line water filter outside, ahead of the pressure regulator.

Bob
2013 Rockwood HW296
w4drr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 11:55 AM   #24

Hondaman brings up another good point. The holding tanks are only 10 gallons each. The black tank can go a few days, if you are careful, but the grey will fill in no time if you take showers. If you camp with full hook-ups, you can just run the grey into the sewer drain with a garden hose and an adapter and leave the valve open. If no sewer is available, then you can drain into a large tote tank (mine is 35 gallon). In the old days, since it is only shower and sink water, some people would just run a garden hose out into the bushes away from the site and drain it there, not that I would ever suggest doing that (it is usually against the law now). In the parlance of the RV world, that is referred to as a "sneak hose".

Bob
2013 Rockwood HW296
Old 06-26-2013, 12:20 PM   #25

Take a look at this link:

Interested in Rockwood HW296 Feedback

I came up with a sewer hose adapter for the grey tank.

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 02:24 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by w4drr View Post
Hondaman brings up another good point. The holding tanks are only 10 gallons each. The black tank can go a few days, if you are careful, but the grey will fill in no time if you take showers. If you camp with full hook-ups, you can just run the grey into the sewer drain with a garden hose and an adapter and leave the valve open. If no sewer is available, then you can drain into a large tote tank (mine is 35 gallon). In the old days, since it is only shower and sink water, some people would just run a garden hose out into the bushes away from the site and drain it there, not that I would ever suggest doing that (it is usually against the law now). In the parlance of the RV world, that is referred to as a "sneak hose". Bob
All good points. The reason I ask about the shower is the little ones. I might just do the "sneak hose" idea. Hahahaha. I do realize that it isn't high flow like the ones in houses. But with regards to the pump I might fit a bigger unit to handle more flow if it's really that pitiful. I have no problem with "Navy Showers", but it's not me I'm concerned about.

How hard is it to install tank sensors? That tell me how full (or low) a tank is?
Old 06-26-2013, 03:19 PM   #27
daydreaming about camping

On our HW27SC The water heater was 6 gallon, so the same size as most RV units. We all took showers in it (family of four) from time to time. I would recommend replacing the shower head with an oxygenics:
Amazon.com: Oxygenic 26128 Body Spa 1 Function Handheld Shower Head Premium Kit with Comfort Control: 60-Inch Plastic Hose, Arm Mount, Plumber's Tape, 2.00 GPM, Chrome: Home Improvement

This one has the shut off feature built in, which is necessary.

And you can always add electric element to your existing hot water heater:
Hott Rod Electric Conversion 6 gallon Water Heaters Universal RV ..

On taking showers in a PUP - the shower stall is not that small, but the tank is. However we tended to find spots with full hook ups for convenience. It looks a little funny being next to the big guys, but not having to run your trailer up to the dump station every day is sure worth the few extra dollars.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:30 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeplj8 View Post
On our HW27SC The water heater was 6 gallon, so the same size as most RV units. We all took showers in it (family of four) from time to time. I would recommend replacing the shower head with an oxygenics: Amazon.com: Oxygenic 26128 Body Spa 1 Function Handheld Shower Head Premium Kit with Comfort Control: 60-Inch Plastic Hose, Arm Mount, Plumber's Tape, 2.00 GPM, Chrome: Home Improvement This one has the shut off feature built in, which is necessary. And you can always add electric element to your existing hot water heater: Hott Rod Electric Conversion 6 gallon Water Heaters Universal RV .. On taking showers in a PUP - the shower stall is not that small, but the tank is. However we tended to find spots with full hook ups for convenience. It looks a little funny being next to the big guys, but not having to run your trailer up to the dump station every day is sure worth the few extra dollars.
Some great advice there! Tell me what does the new shower head do? Higher flow rate? Also how hard is an installation of something like that?

When it comes to the heating element installation can anyone speak for the difficulty of the installation? I know my way around 12vDC and 120vAC but I really don't want anything too over my head, especially when it comes to electricity and propane.

I like the idea of the full hookup campsite. Does it have sewage for black tank as well?

This all leads me to another question, does the camper come with sewage hoses and what not? I need to find the true start up costs off all the essentials other than my $1600 down payment.
Old 06-26-2013, 11:30 PM   #29
RELYK CAMPING

Smile Hw296 gray and black water

The HW296 has a 12 gal black tank and a 12 gal grey tank. We basically built an adapter to pipe the grey back to a junction at the black cap, that way you can drain the black and grey thru one 3" outlet, works pretty good. Got the idea from another post on here, just can't remember which one, so its not my original design. I have tried to attach a pic of the new plumbing, makes dumping a lot easier.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0061.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	34048  
Old 06-27-2013, 09:11 AM   #30

KWJ397 is right, the holding tanks on a HW296 are 12 gallon each, not 10. I knew that, but I guess I had 10 on the brain when I made that post. That is a nice mod to combine the grey and black into one outlet. I don't know why FR made them with separate outlets, and especially with different sizes. When I am on a full hook-up site, I run a garden hose from the grey to a Camco Grey Water Drain Adapter w' doughnut, and leave the grey valve open. When time to dump the black tank, I just pull out the grey adapter and then dump with the 3" hose from the black. This works out OK, since you don't leave the black valve open all the time anyway. Corey, take note, as this is a classic rookie mistake: Never leave the black valve open full time. Doing this causes the much dreaded "petrified pyramid of poop" to form, which can be difficult to break up. And never dump the black tank unless it is completely full. If it isn't full when you are ready to go to the dump station, fill it up with water so that everything flushes out when you open the valve.

Bob

2013 Rockwood HW296