Old 06-27-2013, 09:41 AM   #31
daydreaming about camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey Straker View Post
Some great advice there! Tell me what does the new shower head do? Higher flow rate? Also how hard is an installation of something like that?

When it comes to the heating element installation can anyone speak for the difficulty of the installation? I know my way around 12vDC and 120vAC but I really don't want anything too over my head, especially when it comes to electricity and propane.

I like the idea of the full hookup campsite. Does it have sewage for black tank as well?

This all leads me to another question, does the camper come with sewage hoses and what not? I need to find the true start up costs off all the essentials other than my $1600 down payment.
Do some research on the oxygenics shower head. It does not use more water, but it sure feels like it does. I installed one on our current trailer and my wife loves it. There are hundreds of posts about them on here. Again, make sure you get the one with the push button shut-off.

On the install of the electric heating element, pretty sure it has been done before around here. I understand it replaces the anode rod, so physical install should be very simple. It actually has a thermostat which the factory electric hot water heater does not. From there should be pretty simple to hit the 110 ac. I would check youtube for some videos on how to install.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 09:59 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by w4drr View Post
KWJ397 is right, the holding tanks on a HW296 are 12 gallon each, not 10. I knew that, but I guess I had 10 on the brain when I made that post. That is a nice mod to combine the grey and black into one outlet. I don't know why FR made them with separate outlets, and especially with different sizes. When I am on a full hook-up site, I run a garden hose from the grey to a Camco Grey Water Drain Adapter w' doughnut, and leave the grey valve open. When time to dump the black tank, I just pull out the grey adapter and then dump with the 3" hose from the black. This works out OK, since you don't leave the black valve open all the time anyway. Corey, take note, as this is a classic rookie mistake: Never leave the black valve open full time. Doing this causes the much dreaded "petrified pyramid of poop" to form, which can be difficult to break up. And never dump the black tank unless it is completely full. If it isn't full when you are ready to go to the dump station, fill it up with water so that everything flushes out when you open the valve. Bob
All, I really appreciate the advice being given to me. So it seems like I'll need the following

3" hose for the black tank
2x garden hoses for grey and freshwater
Pressure regulator for freshwater line
30 AMP to 15/20 AMP converter

Do these campers come with propane bottles and batteries or will I need to purchase them?

Old 06-27-2013, 10:03 AM   #33

you dealer should provide the propane bottles (2) and the battery installed. They should also give you a starter kit that includes a 30 to 20 amp adapter, a water pressure regulator, 25 foot of white fresh water hose and a small section of sewer hose. While the quality of the components in the starter kit is not usually the best, they will suffice. Oh and it comes with RV toilet paper.

Old 06-27-2013, 10:48 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeplj8 View Post
you dealer should provide the propane bottles (2) and the battery installed. They should also give you a starter kit that includes a 30 to 20 amp adapter, a water pressure regulator, 25 foot of white fresh water hose and a small section of sewer hose. While the quality of the components in the starter kit is not usually the best, they will suffice. Oh and it comes with RV toilet paper.
Awesome! Yeah I'm not going for the most expensive stuff quite yet. I believe these are the nicest pop-up campers you can get right?
Old 06-27-2013, 11:26 AM   #35

The "starter kit" depends on the dealer. Some are more generous than others. When we bought the HW296, the "starter kit" was a $50 gift certificate to be used at their store. Others may set you up with a sewer hose, water hose, a pack of RV TP, etc., in lieu of a gift certificate. As for the propane and battery, I've never heard of a dealer not supplying those. Legally, they can't turn you loose on the road without a battery...it is needed for the emergency breakaway switch. And every dealer I have dealt with, the propane tanks are full.

Bob
2013 Rockwood HW296
w4drr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 12:34 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by w4drr View Post
The "starter kit" depends on the dealer. Some are more generous than others. When we bought the HW296, the "starter kit" was a $50 gift certificate to be used at their store. Others may set you up with a sewer hose, water hose, a pack of RV TP, etc., in lieu of a gift certificate. As for the propane and battery, I've never heard of a dealer not supplying those. Legally, they can't turn you loose on the road without a battery...it is needed for the emergency breakaway switch. And every dealer I have dealt with, the propane tanks are full. Bob
I'm going through Tom Raper RV in Fairfield Ohio. I'll ask about the starter kit. How much did you get your HW296 for? They originally quoted me $17,995 for one, I said $15,500 and they took it.
Old 06-27-2013, 12:49 PM   #37

We went through Tom Raper in Richmond, IN. Interestingly, our price was also $15500.

Bob G
2013 Rockwood HW296
Old 06-27-2013, 12:53 PM   #38

I hate to say this, but did you look at the dealer review section of this site? You can run a search for Tom Raper. Be prepared, far more negative than positive reviews.

Old 06-27-2013, 01:04 PM   #39

Quote:
I hate to say this, but did you look at the dealer review section of this site? You can run a search for Tom Raper. Be prepared, far more negative than positive reviews.
Unfortunately I did not, I'll go check them out now. They are the only dealer that isn't super far away from me.
Old 06-27-2013, 01:05 PM   #40

Quote:
Actually, I had seen the reviews. Tom Raper was the closest place I could find that had the HW296 or it's Flagstaff twin in stock, so I took my chances. Given the distance, I wasn't planning on using them for any service work, so that was taken out of the equation. The overall experience with them was good, so I have no complaints. It has been my experience, there is not a dealer around that doesn't have some bad press on the internet from disgruntled customers. Some, of course, more than others.

Bob

2013 Rockwood HW296