Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2013, 01:17 PM   #121

Nice pictures! Yes, the toilet is plumbed-in like everything else....either pump or city water. There is a little flush handle on the right hand side near the back. That may be right about only a half bottle of blue stuff, but I always use the whole bottle....with black tanks I don't think there is such a thing as too much....particularly in the hot summer. In the regular travel trailer universe, you usually want to start out with a little water in the bottom of the black tank, but given the small size of the 296's tank, we start out dry and have never had a problem. I do wait until there is a little water showing in the tank before adding the chemical, though, because it looks like the tank empties from the bottom and there is a short run of 3" pipe before the valve. If you dump in the chemical first, it will all run down into the pipe, and just sit there until you dump the tank, and won't do any good. And remember the basic rule....nothing in the tank but #1 and #2, and single-ply septic-safe/RV TP. And no feminine products, unless you want the tank plugged-up real good.
Are you going to be towing with the RDX? Will it be up to the task, and do you have a brake controller?

Bob
2013 Rockwood HW296
w4drr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 03:52 PM   #122

Quote:
Originally Posted by w4drr View Post
Nice pictures! Yes, the toilet is plumbed-in like everything else....either pump or city water. There is a little flush handle on the right hand side near the back. That may be right about only a half bottle of blue stuff, but I always use the whole bottle....with black tanks I don't think there is such a thing as too much....particularly in the hot summer. In the regular travel trailer universe, you usually want to start out with a little water in the bottom of the black tank, but given the small size of the 296's tank, we start out dry and have never had a problem. I do wait until there is a little water showing in the tank before adding the chemical, though, because it looks like the tank empties from the bottom and there is a short run of 3" pipe before the valve. If you dump in the chemical first, it will all run down into the pipe, and just sit there until you dump the tank, and won't do any good. And remember the basic rule....nothing in the tank but #1 and #2, and single-ply septic-safe/RV TP. And no feminine products, unless you want the tank plugged-up real good. Are you going to be towing with the RDX? Will it be up to the task, and do you have a brake controller? Bob
Awesome! Greatly appreciate the advice on the toilet. Hopefully it really doesn't smell that bad like I know most do. I don't want a sewer smell in my camper.

No, the RDX can only tow "1300 pounds" even though it's got 250hp, 260ft/lbs torque from a 2.3L turbo 4 cylinder. I'll tow with a diesel Chevy or similar sitting on our lot that I can swipe for a week as a demo.
Corey Straker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 05:11 PM   #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey Straker View Post
I'll tow with a diesel Chevy or similar sitting on our lot that I can swipe for a week as a demo.
That would get the job done....and then some.
Don't forget you will need a brake controller.

Bob
2013 Rockwood HW296
Old 07-22-2013, 01:52 AM   #124

Quote:
That would get the job done....and then some. Don't forget you will need a brake controller. Bob
Got that all handled.

So I have had enough time to compost a list of modifications to the camper.

1. | DONE | Velcro strips on the back of the table cushions. They keep falling over and I finally had enough. Trip to Lowe's and $20 later, boom. 3 of the 1 foot rows of Velcro with tape worked perfect.

2. | PENDING | install 2x 12v fans to vent heat from the fridge, at first it was alarmingly warm to me now it's just normal but never-the-less I'd still like it to be cooler.

3. | PENDING | Exterior LED lights, when I'm packing up or checking on something at night I would like to see without hunting for a flashlight 24/7.

4. | PENDING | LED light conversion for the whole camper. The only thing keeping me back is the price. Not ready to drop the dough on this mod yet, can't justify the cost.

5. | PENDING | 12v tank heaters for the winter. Plan on using the camper during the winter and finding power hookups isn't an issue.

6. | PENDING | find a way to eliminate the "bed sway" whenever someone moves inside the camper. It's very annoying to the girls ( although it doesn't bug me ). If anyone has any tips they'd be greatly appreciated. Maybe bring a bottle of wine?

On another note, this Genesis system works great! Bluetooth audio streaming, DVD's, great sound. I'm loving it! I can't believe people said they act up. Maybe I'm lucky. *knock on wood*
Old 07-22-2013, 09:59 AM   #125
Incheon, S. Korea

Ahhh... Car dealership... Pick a TV and go! Must be nice! Get a water pressure regulator fir the city water hookup and test the water system before you go! Also check that all the threaded fittings are tight.
BigBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 10:54 AM   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBaron View Post
Ahhh... Car dealership... Pick a TV and go! Must be nice! Get a water pressure regulator fir the city water hookup and test the water system before you go! Also check that all the threaded fittings are tight.
Yes I am very blessed to have my job at the dealership. Anything I can do to help hoses so they don't leak? Maybe some of that plumbing tape?
Old 07-22-2013, 11:50 AM   #127

Quote:
...find a way to eliminate the "bed sway" whenever someone moves inside the camper. It's very annoying to the girls ( although it doesn't bug me ). If anyone has any tips they'd be greatly appreciated. Maybe bring a bottle of wine?
I'm afraid the "rocking trailer" syndrome is an age-old problem. All trailers do it, with some worse than others. A pop-up seems worse with the beds hanging out the ends. I have known people to add a couple extra stabilizer jacks right at the axles and that seems to help. As for me, I have gotten used to it, and it doesn't bother me.

Bob
2013 Rockwood HW296
Old 07-22-2013, 01:43 PM   #128

I upgraded to heavy duty stabilizers and it greatly cut down on the rocking.

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 02:35 PM   #129

Quote:
Originally Posted by HONDAMAN174 View Post
I upgraded to heavy duty stabilizers and it greatly cut down on the rocking.
Heavy duty? Do you have a link to the systems you use?

I was considering doing an electric jack lifting system because it's such a pain to crank everything down and up. Has this ever been done to a pop up?
Old 07-22-2013, 03:56 PM   #130

Quote:
Heavy duty? Do you have a link to the systems you use?

I was considering doing an electric jack lifting system because it's such a pain to crank everything down and up. Has this ever been done to a pop up?
Are you using the stabilizer jacks to level?

Bob
2013 Rockwood HW296
Old 07-22-2013, 04:00 PM   #131

Quote:
Are you using the stabilizer jacks to level? Bob
Hell no! I level with leveling blocks and the front power lift. Then I bring the jacks down until it's slightly tight after touching.
Old 07-22-2013, 08:24 PM   #132

Quote:
Hell no! I level with leveling blocks and the front power lift. Then I bring the jacks down until it's slightly tight after touching.
I was pretty sure you weren't, but with all that talk about an electric leveling system and hand cranking I was wondering. The stablilizer jacks go a lot easier with a 3/4" socket in a hand drill, and then just snug them up with the hand crank. Those beer-powered stablizer jacks can wear you out, just like those beer-powered hitch jacks.

Bob
2013 Rockwood HW296
Old 07-22-2013, 10:00 PM   #133

I'm using these:

Husky 76862 24 Stabilizing Scissor Jack - Set of 2
http://amzn.com/B005J1UK2I

I'm also using the cordless drill method to raise and lower.

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 06:09 AM   #134

The "standard issue" jacks that came on my '296 are pretty beefy looking scissor jacks. I looked at them and couldn't find an actual weight rating. If I had to guess, I would say they are good for at least a couple tons.

Bob
2013 Rockwood HW296
Old 07-23-2013, 06:54 AM   #135

Quote:
The "standard issue" jacks that came on my '296 are pretty beefy looking scissor jacks. I looked at them and couldn't find an actual weight rating. If I had to guess, I would say they are good for at least a couple tons. Bob
Yeah I agree with that. I don't see how heavy duty ones would make that much difference unless they have a stronger way of mounting to the frame. I need to get a drill bit to fit the lug then that's exactly what I'll do. I hate cranking them.

I don't have the beer driven hoist in the front. It's a power system that I found in a box under my couch, they forgot to install it.

Overall tom raper didn't show me how to do anything. I guess it's mostly self-learn anyways and what you all have told me, which is a lot.
Old 07-23-2013, 07:17 AM   #136

Quote:
Yeah I agree with that. I don't see how heavy duty ones would make that much difference unless they have a stronger way of mounting to the frame. I need to get a drill bit to fit the lug then that's exactly what I'll do. I hate cranking them.

I don't have the beer driven hoist in the front. It's a power system that I found in a box under my couch, they forgot to install it.

Overall tom raper didn't show me how to do anything. I guess it's mostly self-learn anyways and what you all have told me, which is a lot.
My dealer didn't show us how to do anything either - just pointed out "here is your fresh water tank" "here is your low point drains" etc. "Got any questions?" Was one of those things where you don't know what you don't know - so of course we had no questions. We are in our 4th year with the HW277 and still learning and it is a steep learning curve too. I just got the drill adapter a couple of weeks ago - love it. Camper did not come with the power tongue jack - may have to look into that as well. But we love our PUP - and I do have fun learning all about the things I don't know
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 07:47 AM   #137

Ours came with the couch-potato hitch jack and lift winch already installed, so I didn't need to fool with installing them when we got home. We bought ours at the Tom Raper mothership in Richmond, IN, so I don't know if that made a difference. As for any tutorials on the camper at the dealer, we didn't need much since this isn't our first, but probably a good thing since I doubt if we would have gotten much in the way of instructions. It seems to be epidemic among dealers to give minimal instructions, judging from the many newbie questions that show up on web sites such as this. To their credit, FR does have a DVD on how to set-up these HW pups, and it is also available on-line. I marvel at how simple they make the lowering of the top appear in the video. That is the hardest part....getting all that canvas and vinyl to stay put and fit under the roof. It is like the proverbial 10 pounds of you-know-what fitting into a 5 pound bag.

Bob
2013 Rockwood HW296
Old 07-23-2013, 07:58 AM   #138

Here is a link for the Camco socket adaptor...
Item
They sell them at Amazon also. I don't even remember where I got mine now, but I'm sure you could probably find one at the parts store of any large RV dealer. There is nothing special about them, as they are just an standard 3/4", 3/8" drive socket, with a 1/4" hex drill to 3/8" socket adaptor.

Bob
2013 Rockwood HW296
Old 07-23-2013, 08:07 AM   #139

Quote:
Ours came with the couch-potato hitch jack and lift winch already installed, so I didn't need to fool with installing them when we got home. We bought ours at the Tom Raper mothership in Richmond, IN, so I don't know if that made a difference. As for any tutorials on the camper at the dealer, we didn't need much since this isn't our first, but probably a good thing since I doubt if we would have gotten much in the way of instructions. It seems to be epidemic among dealers to give minimal instructions, judging from the many newbie questions that show up on web sites such as this. To their credit, FR does have a DVD on how to set-up these HW pups, and it is also available on-line. I marvel at how simple they make the lowering of the top appear in the video. That is the hardest part....getting all that canvas and vinyl to stay put and fit under the roof. It is like the proverbial 10 pounds of you-know-what fitting into a 5 pound bag.

Bob

You are not kidding about the tenting and the height of the camper is part of the problem for us - I found that my daughter's old lacross stick wrapped in a towel helps push it in. Esp. the dining room. And it does double duty to help dry it off if needed.
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:19 AM   #140

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalsofEscape View Post
You are not kidding about the tenting and the height of the camper is part of the problem for us - I found that my daughter's old lacross stick wrapped in a towel helps push it in. Esp. the dining room. And it does double duty to help dry it off if needed.
I always use a broom to "herd" the tenting when lowering (almost like herding cats). It is kind of important to straighten it out as much as possible, because any sharp crease in the vinyl roofing can become a crack if stored that way for a long time. I found that out the hard way on our old Coleman pup.

Bob
2013 Rockwood HW296