Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2013, 06:23 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeplj8 View Post
I found mine cheaper, but we have the brushed nickel finish. The install is less than fifteen minutes.
I, by no means, was giving an endorsement of Camping World. It was just easy to grab a link from the CW page to show Corey what he should be looking for. CW is always higher than everyone else, but for us it is sometimes more convenient to make a 20 minute drive to CW to buy something now, rather than ordering and waiting.

Bob
2013 Rockwood HW296
w4drr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:22 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by w4drr View Post
I, by no means, was giving an endorsement of Camping World. It was just easy to grab a link from the CW page to show Corey what he should be looking for. CW is always higher than everyone else, but for us it is sometimes more convenient to make a 20 minute drive to CW to buy something now, rather than ordering and waiting. Bob
I'll most likely order it after I get the camper in the first place so I can see just how awful the stock stereo is.

Much thanks!
Corey Straker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 08:50 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey Straker View Post
I'll most likely order it after I get the camper in the first place so I can see just how awful the stock stereo is.

Much thanks!
The stereo/DVD player that came in ours was a Genesis 2.0. Based on what I have read on-line, it is not exactly the most reliable piece of equipment made. I could never get ours to play a DVD from the beginning. It won't even pull the DVD into the player, and if you shove it on in, you will need a pair of needlenose pliers to extract it. The radio part of it seems to work OK. I could have this replaced under warranty, but to be perfectly honest, I don't miss the DVD player enough to fight with the local FR dealer to get it done, and I'm not going back to Richmond, IN either. And besides, they would just give me another Genesis 2.0 that would quit working somewhere down the road. And note also, it is DVD only, not Blu Ray. When we went camping with our granddaughter last year, we just took a small DVD player with us so she could watch some of her movies.

Bob
2013 Rockwood HW296
Old 07-03-2013, 08:25 PM   #64

Quote:
The stereo/DVD player that came in ours was a Genesis 2.0. Based on what I have read on-line, it is not exactly the most reliable piece of equipment made. I could never get ours to play a DVD from the beginning. It won't even pull the DVD into the player, and if you shove it on in, you will need a pair of needlenose pliers to extract it. The radio part of it seems to work OK. I could have this replaced under warranty, but to be perfectly honest, I don't miss the DVD player enough to fight with the local FR dealer to get it done, and I'm not going back to Richmond, IN either. And besides, they would just give me another Genesis 2.0 that would quit working somewhere down the road. And note also, it is DVD only, not Blu Ray. When we went camping with our granddaughter last year, we just took a small DVD player with us so she could watch some of her movies. Bob
Thanks for the heads up! I do plan on wiring my own setup, blue ray, 5.1 surround, Bluetooth audio. I'll make a DIY if mind sucks. This is the current system, I pick it up Monday!

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1427991932.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	34518
Old 07-04-2013, 09:20 AM   #65

All, here is my original quote before I said 15.5K. Feel free to show this to anyone.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4179886990.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	34546
Old 07-04-2013, 10:47 AM   #66
Incheon, S. Korea

They are listing HW296s for $22K+ in California! Yikes!
And two of you got it for $15.5? Awesome.
I can't really read the photo you posted of the quote. What does it say?
BigBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 10:50 AM   #67

They want $17,900 in Utah. It sounds like they are charging full msrp there in Cali.
spugmire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 11:30 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBaron View Post
They are listing HW296s for $22K+ in California! Yikes! And two of you got it for $15.5? Awesome. I can't really read the photo you posted of the quote. What does it say?
Sorry about that. It says $16,000 for the camper, total financed with tax, title, and doc fees is $15,889.63. I am putting down 10%.
Old 07-04-2013, 12:16 PM   #69
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by spugmire View Post
They want $17,900 in Utah. It sounds like they are charging full msrp there in Cali.
like i said, the farther you are from the Midwest, the higher the price goes.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 12:44 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
like i said, the farther you are from the Midwest, the higher the price goes.
That's aggravating. Just tell them you'll drive east if they don't lower the price. You'd rather pay the money in gas then give it to a hungry dealer.
Old 07-04-2013, 12:52 PM   #71
Site Team

Quote:
That's aggravating. Just tell them you'll drive east if they don't lower the price. You'd rather pay the money in gas then give it to a hungry dealer.
i tried that with 3 different Rockwood Roo dealers here in NorCal.
they all flat out dared me to do exactly that. one dealer who has a lot near Elkhart, told me that if i wanted that price, i could go to their lot in Indiana and pick it up there. they know that most people aren't willing to do that, so they think they are in the power position.

but they said that to the wrong person. i bought from a Chicago dealer, saved over $4k after trip costs, they installed my Equalizer for free and we made a camping trip out of the way back.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 12:58 PM   #72

I went back and double-checked my sales contract and it was $15,500. Of course, that was a year ago.

Bob
2013 Rockwood HW296
Old 07-04-2013, 01:03 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
...we made a camping trip out of the way back.
Our trip wasn't nearly as long, but we did spend a couple nights up in Indiana and Ohio before returning home.

Bob
2013 Rockwood HW296
Old 07-04-2013, 05:19 PM   #74

Quote:
Our trip wasn't nearly as long, but we did spend a couple nights up in Indiana and Ohio before returning home. Bob
Bob,

Do you do your own service on your camper? I don't feel like going to the dealer as I don't trust anyone to mess with my expensive toy. I know the roof need recaucking every year I believe?

Everyone else,

Here are the current mods I know I am almost 99% doing, if anyone is interested.

1. 12V and 120V Heated tanks.
2. Tornado Black tank flush system.
3. LED lights all around, inside and out.
4. Inverter to run at least 1 power outlet off the battery.
5. Remote generator start/stop switch inside.
6. New shower head for better flow rate.
7. Electric water heater element.
8. Water pump sound insulation.
9. Dual 12V fans for better extracting heat from behind the refrigerator.
10. 12V lights for storage areas.
11. Tank level monitoring system ( possibly, depends on difficulty )
Old 07-05-2013, 07:03 AM   #75
Incheon, S. Korea

Drive to save $5,000? That's a no-brainer. I have to do all my own work, but I probably would if I lived there, too.
Shipping to the left coast does add to the cost, but less than $1,000. It was a wash for me, so I got mine from Kentucky and shipped it from the east coast.
Old 07-05-2013, 07:45 AM   #76

Quote:
Bob,

Do you do your own service on your camper? I don't feel like going to the dealer as I don't trust anyone to mess with my expensive toy. I know the roof need recaucking every year I believe?
Yes, I do as much as I can. I won't take it to the dealer unless I absolutely have to. I was not aware of any annual requirement for re-caulking, other than just inspect the seals and repair as necessary. Our last trailer had an EPDM rubber roof, with the Dicor sealant at the seams, and I never had to re-seal it during the 6+ years we had it. Granted, the roof on the pop-up is constructed a little different, but it should still be trouble-free for several years (I hope).
That is a rather ambitious mod list you have. There is at least a couple on there I had considered. One is the black tank sprayer, but since the black tank is above the flooring, the install may be a little tricky. Another is the refrigerator fan. That is something I keep meaning to look into, but haven't done it yet. And speaking of refrigerators and such, a mod I did you don't have on your list is putting the bug screens on the refrigerator vents, as well as the furnace and water heater. Those darn mud daubers and wasps love to build their nests in there, plus, here in Virginia, we have a problem with the stupid stink bugs getting into everything. It seems stink bugs have a real desire to winter-over in pop-ups.

Bob
2013 Rockwood HW296
Old 07-06-2013, 09:01 AM   #77

Quote:
Yes, I do as much as I can. I won't take it to the dealer unless I absolutely have to. I was not aware of any annual requirement for re-caulking, other than just inspect the seals and repair as necessary. Our last trailer had an EPDM rubber roof, with the Dicor sealant at the seams, and I never had to re-seal it during the 6+ years we had it. Granted, the roof on the pop-up is constructed a little different, but it should still be trouble-free for several years (I hope). That is a rather ambitious mod list you have. There is at least a couple on there I had considered. One is the black tank sprayer, but since the black tank is above the flooring, the install may be a little tricky. Another is the refrigerator fan. That is something I keep meaning to look into, but haven't done it yet. And speaking of refrigerators and such, a mod I did you don't have on your list is putting the bug screens on the refrigerator vents, as well as the furnace and water heater. Those darn mud daubers and wasps love to build their nests in there, plus, here in Virginia, we have a problem with the stupid stink bugs getting into everything. It seems stink bugs have a real desire to winter-over in pop-ups. Bob
Yeah I am ambitious when it comes to mods. I'm defiantly doing that screen mod! Much thanks for the advice. Saved me much trouble And hassle.
Old 07-06-2013, 08:45 PM   #78
Incheon, S. Korea

Also put 1/4" x 1/4" galvanized wire on/around ALL openings under the trailer. Mice can get in a hole if you can fit your pinkie finger in it.
Old 07-06-2013, 08:52 PM   #79
Incheon, S. Korea

Quote:
Unless they changed it on 2014 models, your water heater will be propane only, and not electric/propane. That is kind of a bummer, because I would prefer to heat my water with the campground's electricity instead of my propane. I don't know why they got cheap on the water heater, because the High Wall pop-ups have most of the other amenities found in full-size travel trailers.

Bob
I have seen an electric element for water heaters mentioned in other threads. Anyone know of these? I'm thinking it might be good for our popup, too!
@Corey - did you put up pics of your new toy? It seems like everyone is getting new HW296s. I've seen at least four new purchases on the different forums. (Yes, I'm jealous)
Old 07-06-2013, 10:28 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBaron View Post
I have seen an electric element for water heaters mentioned in other threads. Anyone know of these? I'm thinking it might be good for our popup, too! @Corey - did you put up pics of your new toy? It seems like everyone is getting new HW296s. I've seen at least four new purchases on the different forums. (Yes, I'm jealous)
Believe it or not I'm 18 years old, going to college full time, living at home, and making $50K a year WHOOHOO! Haha. But not yet! It's painfully close! I'm buying it on Monday! I've already got $900 down. I'm putting 10% down.