Old 06-24-2016, 05:03 PM   #1

Rockwood popup not lifting all the way up.

I have a 2002 Rockwood Freedom 2270 Popup. I am having trouble with the lifting of the top. It has a spring that pushes the top up when cranked with the winch. The spring came out of the lifting tube & I can't get it back into the square tube to lift the front corner of the top. Does anyone know how to fix this so the spring doesn't keep coming out?

Old 06-25-2016, 12:30 AM   #2
Sham183

I have a 2003 1940ltd with the same style push/pull spring cable set up. Is it a power winch or manual? Either way it's the same set up but if you have to buy parts they will want to know. Goshen makes the cable and made my winch , not sure if that is who made yours but I bet it is. They have a schematic of the cable break down and the springs. Also you can find manuals online for this set up you just have to do some research. I had my cable break on me and let me tell you it's not hard but can be frustrating.

On your springs each corner has screws or bolts that hold the spring tube see if those are loose/missing, if so fix that issue and test it again. It is possible that a spring could be bent. Also your cable could be going starting to fray and stretch. The springs are fairly long so for those to fall out has me wondering if somethings not bent or broke. You tube might have some videos on this issue too.

If I can find the site I went to for the repair of my cable I will post it on here for you. Good luck hope this helps a little.

Old 06-25-2016, 12:44 AM   #3
Sham183

Rockwood popup not lifting all the way up.

Here is some info for you. Not sure if this is your set up but it may help you understand what your dealing with.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1466829838.495835.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	128.0 KB
ID:	112105Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1466829850.037422.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	121.2 KB
ID:	112106Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1466829860.672640.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	122.7 KB
ID:	112107Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1466829871.512716.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	131.5 KB
ID:	112108

Hope this helps.
Old 06-25-2016, 12:50 AM   #4
Sham183

Ok blurry pics let's try again. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1466830148.752182.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	276.5 KB
ID:	112109Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1466830160.358241.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	251.1 KB
ID:	112110Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1466830171.330624.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	260.9 KB
ID:	112111Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1466830181.619100.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	263.0 KB
ID:	112112

Hope these are better
Old 06-25-2016, 04:09 PM   #5

Hope it is a rear spring, that will save about a half hour.
If the spring is totally out of the lifting arms then the only way I know is the completely remove the rear or front set of springs to prevent putting a kink in the cable. It is not that hard to do, just very messy thanks to all the grease in the cable/spring track under the trailer.

At each corner under the trailer you should have a bracket such as this...

Some connect via horizontal bolts to the outside of the frame, some have vertical bolts to hold the bracket to the trailer

When you remove the two bolts, and pull the bracket down you will see the spring. However, due to the spring being in the steel conduit you can only lower the spring so far or else it will bend. (Also where oil should be applied each year to help lubricate the spring inside the conduit.)

So, the only way I know of to completely remove the springs is to remove the steel winch cable. (FOR THE REAR). You remove the bracket at the rear of the track (under the trailer) that holds the rear springs' conduit tubes and cable into the track. Then pull the spring conduits and cable out and lay on the ground.
Then remove the rear brackets at the corner for the rear springs and carefully pull the springs completely out of the lifting arms.

Then inspect the springs and if ok, insert correctly in the lifting arms and install the conduits and cable back into the track.

If it is a front spring, you will have to remove the rear, then the front springs.
I also believe if it is a front spring problem, you MIGHT have to replace the entire cable. I cannot say for sure, since when I replaced the cable, I had to cut the old cable to feed the new cable through the front springs conduit. But that was because I did not want to remove the front springs to replace the cable. So, if the front springs are coming out the cable might not need to be replaced....GOSHEN can tell you that.

However, if you have an older trailer, and you are already under there, covered in grease, I would recommend replacing the cable; its only about $25.00 (+/- a buck or two).

You can order from Goshen. The model number of the trailer is supposed to be ok, plus a measurement.
HOWEVER, when you get the replacement cable check it very closely for the correct cable. When I ordered my cable it was a nightmare. I gave the lady the measurement of the track to the rear of the trailer (or pulley), plus the model 228BH and she sent out a cable. It was the wrong size. (The distance between the middle and rear pusher plate was off by 8 inches.)

I called, noted the problem to a different person, she laughed and said the other person wrote the order wrong. Sent me another cable, and it was the same as the first one sent. I actually sent an email to the president, and to give him credit, he called, I told him the problem and he walked the correct cable through the plant and I received it two days later
Old 06-30-2016, 01:35 PM   #6

Gee, I wonder what happened?
Old 06-30-2016, 05:06 PM   #7

Maybe you answered the wrong post. He made two. Same date, different time.
Old 07-01-2016, 09:00 PM   #8

NO. My answer was in regard to a top not lifting due to a spring not going up all the way. If the person posted two identical posts on the same day they need to learn about posting.
But a few people took a lot of time to post an answer and try and help and not even a note to say our answers did not help.
I can say this is the last time I will ever make an in-depth reply to anyone. This happens too often. Maybe I'll just go with the typical "Google is your friend," or "take it to the dealer."
Old 07-01-2016, 10:11 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by retcpo View Post
Maybe you answered the wrong post. He made two. Same date, different time.
OK, the site team has deleted the duplicate thread (no replies). Normally we catch dupes or a member will report them. This duplicate slipped by us all.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49 / '14 = 74 / '15 = 74 / '16 = 85 / '17 = 110 / '18 = 0; booked = 28
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rockwood, pop up