Old 03-11-2014, 11:40 AM   #21
Canadian Member

This page on etrailer.com will show you what each pin should wired to do for 7 pin and 4 pin connectors:
http://www.etrailer.com/faq-wiring.aspx

2009 Ford F-150 XLT SuperCrew, 5.4L, 5'6" bed (2012 - 2016)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 12:49 PM   #22
Moderators' Assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakranii View Post
I would agree, I would like to use them. I thought perhaps my model did, but the previous owner said it didn't and he seemed to know the pup well. I'll confirm and if so, run the wiring for it.

On that topic, one of the other connectors in the 7-pin must be for charging the battery while hooked up? Is that the intent, to charge while driving?
towing a trailer with electric brakes and NOT having a brake controller installed and active, is against the law. especially for towing with a minivan.
just like not having a battery hooked up while towing, to power the breakaway switch, if the trailer ever disconnected from the tow vehicle.

2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 02:10 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
towing a trailer with electric brakes and NOT having a brake controller installed and active, is against the law. especially for towing with a minivan.
just like not having a battery hooked up while towing, to power the breakaway switch, if the trailer ever disconnected from the tow vehicle.
All the more reason to look at what I've got, I suppose. Now that it's not 20 below zero here I can spend some time with the pup.

EDIT: After checking, my pup is under the weight limit for statutorily required trailer brakes and breakaway brakes. 3000 pounds is the maximum weight for travelling without those two options in Iowa. Granted it's different in other states.

I would only be breaking the law in 5 states and questionable in 3 others (where 2000 pounds is the max...my pup is about 2000).

http://www.hitchemup.com/statetowinglaws.htm

I doubt the laws differentiate between towing vehicles, so a minivan or not shouldn't make a difference. I'm nearly half of the manufacturer recommended towing limit, so it's not like I'm pushing my vehicle to or beyond its limit.
Old 03-11-2014, 10:29 PM   #24
Canadian Member

Dakranii, do your family and your Caravan a favour and get a brake controller and use it to operate the trailer's electric brakes. If you're like me, you'll have the van and or the trailer loaded and the van will be near or maybe over it's GVWR so it's brakes will be taxed heavily without using the trailer's electric brakes.
2009 Ford F-150 XLT SuperCrew, 5.4L, 5'6" bed (2012 - 2016)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 12:10 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
Dakranii, do your family and your Caravan a favour and get a brake controller and use it to operate the trailer's electric brakes. If you're like me, you'll have the van and or the trailer loaded and the van will be near or maybe over it's GVWR so it's brakes will be taxed heavily without using the trailer's electric brakes.
Will do. Hope it already has one.
- Airlift 1000 air bags
- Curt Class III receiver (13364)
- Tekonsha 90160 Primus IQ Brake Control
dakranii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 04:32 AM   #26
Moderators' Assistant

Quote:
Will do. Hope it already has one.
the brake controller goes in your Caravan, not the trailer and are not standard equipment.
it's an aftermarket item and not included with a factory tow package, except certain trucks.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 06:04 AM   #27
Engineer of Crazy Train

There are 3 kinds of brake controllers. 1st to avoid are the time based. They keep applying more makes to the trailer as long as your foot is on the pedal. The other 2 use some type of circuit to determine deceleration. Those, most are hard wired, but one is wireless (and fairly expensive). Etrailer.com has a good assortment. Most people like the ones by tekonsha.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 using the FRF mobile app.
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 06:38 PM   #28

I see. So even if the pup has electronic brakes, I can't actually use them unless I have a brake controller installed? This is new to me.
Old 03-12-2014, 07:56 PM   #29

Quote:
I see. So even if the pup has electronic brakes, I can't actually use them unless I have a brake controller installed? This is new to me.
Correct.

This is sort of a non issue anyway, fact is your packing a family into a van with small brakes that is loaded up and pulling a trailer that is over 2000lbs.

Get a controller and use the brakes, there is no downside to this and a pile of downsides by not using one.
08 Outback 21RS
Talonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 05:35 AM   #30

That's the intent. You need to wire your tow vehicle for a 7-pin connector. Including adding a brake controller if not equipped with one (likely not). Check E-trailer or any trailer supply house. If you"re not particularly handy with vehicles and/or wiring, worth paying someone else to do it for you correctly.

Tags
hitch, rockwood, weight