Old 07-13-2019, 09:28 PM   #1

Roof

I have a 2016 rockwood hw277. Does anyone have a good product for the roof. Here in AZ the sun is just brutal on everything. I try to store in the shade the best I can. Every time I wash it the color from the roof comes off on the sponge and you can even smell the finish coming off. This happens when it rains as well. Looking for a product that will refurbish it or just keep the finish from coming off with water. Any ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AAEAA857-F0D9-45A5-AD9E-3021BF23DCAF.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	261.7 KB
ID:	209823  

Qball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 06:14 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qball View Post
I have a 2016 rockwood hw277. Does anyone have a good product for the roof. Here in AZ the sun is just brutal on everything. I try to store in the shade the best I can. Every time I wash it the color from the roof comes off on the sponge and you can even smell the finish coming off. This happens when it rains as well. Looking for a product that will refurbish it or just keep the finish from coming off with water. Any ideas?
Out of curiosity do you wax it twice a year as recommended? I ask because I have a 2016 flagstaff that was kept out in the west Texas sun that I bought recently. For the most part the roof was dirty and mildly oxidized. I waxed it with Meguirs RV/Marine wax after pressure washing it and it looks a lot better. FYI I'm not endorsing the product just yet, but it is highly recommended so I tried it.

flyerdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 11:03 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyerdp View Post
Out of curiosity do you wax it twice a year as recommended? I ask because I have a 2016 flagstaff that was kept out in the west Texas sun that I bought recently. For the most part the roof was dirty and mildly oxidized. I waxed it with Meguirs RV/Marine wax after pressure washing it and it looks a lot better. FYI I'm not endorsing the product just yet, but it is highly recommended so I tried it.
We bought this camper used and the color on the top has been coming off when washed since we bought it.
I have been meaning to try a wax but never seem to have the time. And now itís like 100 degrees out side 24 hours a day it seems 😂
Color comes off so much not sure how the wax could hold. lol
But I will try it thanks
I am buying a car canopy today to set up and store rv under it. Sure this will help keep from sun damage for sure
Old 07-14-2019, 11:19 AM   #4

The top will oxidize and UV degrade in hot sun. Is your top fiberglass?

I suspect it is not painted metal.

You might try something like this below

also make sure your tires are covered in the sun as they will degrade even faster. Harbor Freight sells 4 tire covers for about $10
Attached Images

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 02:18 PM   #5

I use 303, as a matter of fact I just got through treating my HW 276 yesterday with it. It works very well for me. The camper still looks like new. With that said, it will not restore an already degraded surface. It will only stop or slow it down. Itís a water based product so if you wash your camper a lot or it rains quite a bit you will need to reapply accordingly. Follow the directions when applying.
OttieJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 02:44 PM   #6

303 products, great stuff!
pkmkaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 11:43 PM   #7

Thanks everyone
I forgot I still have some 303 in a cabinet in the garage. I used to use it on my truck but forgot about it.The roof is like a frp material. Does not seem like seam like fiberglass. But even when I take my hand Accross it dry the color seams to come off on my hand.
Old 07-15-2019, 07:08 AM   #8

i do not know what frp material is, but the top is either painted or the color is thoroughout the roof material... oxidized paint or oxidized (frp) must be cleaned off before applying the 303 which should then retard further oxidation...

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 03:54 PM   #9

Yup. I use 303 on the roof and Meguires rv wax on the body.
Old 07-16-2019, 03:58 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
i do not know what frp material is, but the top is either painted or the color is thoroughout the roof material... oxidized paint or oxidized (frp) must be cleaned off before applying the 303 which should then retard further oxidation...
FRP is something you might see in a home improvement store in 4x8 sheets. Fiberglass Reinforced Plastic

https://www.lowes.com/pd/48-in-x-8-f...nel/1000174771

Im sure if you had a good seam person to join them you could replace the roof with FRP but for my money I would want something that lasts and isnt so easy to poke a hole in :/

flyerdp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roo, roof