Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-04-2011, 10:19 AM   #1
Tydewi

Question Roof Lift System

I just purchased a 2002 FR 228 popup. What is the best option for a electric roof lift for this unit?
tydewi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 03:45 PM   #2
CampeRooo

From what I've read in the past, it sounds like the electric lift systems are squirrelly at best. Seems that people think that they are under powered for the weight they are lifting. I'll see if I can find that post for ya. (Maybe I was reading something prior to a recall that went out...in either case, couldn't find it. Sorry)

Joe

Edit: Unrelated to my post, but here's another link to what some folks have used in the past for an aftermarket electronic lift system - http://www.popupexplorer.com/forum/i...?topic=75851.0

2000 Rockwood Roo M-18 Hybrid
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Auto 5.9 Diesel
Gone but not forgotten -1986 Rockwood 1003 PUP
rthrbelsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 10:42 PM   #3
Tydewi

Thanks, I appreciate the reply. After years of cranking up over sized main sails, I was looking to take it easy with a roof lift system. From what I have researched on the internet, you either spend big bucks for poor systems or go the electric drill route. I will try the drill first and go from there. Thanks again.
Old 02-05-2011, 01:29 AM   #4
CampeRooo

I hear ya... I owned an older popup for several years and I really enjoyed the ability of being able to put it just about anywhere. Since the trade for the larger unit, we've had to scratch a couple of campsites off of our list since the access road and tree overgrowth prevents us from pulling in without damaging anything or blocking the road. It's an acceptable trade, I suppose, for the extra room and not having to crank that roof up every time we park it. Eventually, our roof lift system on that popup failed and I spent the better part of the winter in a project to repair it, unsuccessfully, sad to say. While I did have it, I did not have the opportunity to try the drill and bit solution, so I would be interested (and maybe some others as well) to hear back with your experience with it. Hopefully the torque from the drill doesn't put any fingers or wrists in jeopardy.

Good luck

Joe

2000 Rockwood Roo M-18 Hybrid
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Auto 5.9 Diesel
Gone but not forgotten -1986 Rockwood 1003 PUP
rthrbelsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 10:23 AM   #5
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
This may help:
12V Pop-Up Camper Lift

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote