Old 07-11-2016, 12:50 PM   #1

Roof problems for a newb

Hello all!

So, yesterday, my wife and I purchased a 2014 HW257. Spent about an hour with the previous owner learning all about it (we re completely new to RVing, so it took a lot of explaining....). All the systems were working great at the PO's house.

Got it home safely, however, when we tried to raise the roof, we ran into a problem. The winch motor appears to be working fine, but after about 2" of cable gets pulled tight, the winch starts to make a horrible grinding noise and wont take up any more of the cable. It reverses the 2" of cable it took up just fine. I opened the winch housing, and the worm gear on the motor is spinning, but the gear it is interfacing with isn't moving...hence the horrible grinding.

I know there are four latches that lock the roof down, and those are completely disengaged. Is there another lock that I am missing somewhere? Because that's almost what it seems like, that the roof is locked, and the winch is just grinding the gears trying to open the locked down roof.

I am hoping it is just me being a bonehead and not knowing what to look for. Would suck if the thing broke as soon as we got it home.

PLEASE HELP!

Old 07-11-2016, 01:03 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelbenner View Post
Hello all!

So, yesterday, my wife and I purchased a 2014 HW257. Spent about an hour with the previous owner learning all about it (we re completely new to RVing, so it took a lot of explaining....). All the systems were working great at the PO's house.

Got it home safely, however, when we tried to raise the roof, we ran into a problem. The winch motor appears to be working fine, but after about 2" of cable gets pulled tight, the winch starts to make a horrible grinding noise and wont take up any more of the cable. It reverses the 2" of cable it took up just fine. I opened the winch housing, and the worm gear on the motor is spinning, but the gear it is interfacing with isn't moving...hence the horrible grinding.

I know there are four latches that lock the roof down, and those are completely disengaged. Is there another lock that I am missing somewhere? Because that's almost what it seems like, that the roof is locked, and the winch is just grinding the gears trying to open the locked down roof.

I am hoping it is just me being a bonehead and not knowing what to look for. Would suck if the thing broke as soon as we got it home.

PLEASE HELP!
Is the camper level front to back and side to side?

Old 07-11-2016, 01:04 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor43 View Post
Is the camper level front to back and side to side?
That must have been one of the last 2014's with a worm drive lift system.
Old 07-11-2016, 01:07 PM   #4

Yes. All level, or very close to level. If it needs to be exact, I will put it on the concrete this afternoon and check it again. When we picked it up from the PO, he had it in the street without the leveling jacks down, so it wasn't perfectly level there, as one wheel was in the gutter.
Old 07-11-2016, 01:21 PM   #5

Quote:
Yes. All level, or very close to level. If it needs to be exact, I will put it on the concrete this afternoon and check it again. When we picked it up from the PO, he had it in the street without the leveling jacks down, so it wasn't perfectly level there, as one wheel was in the gutter.
Those aren't leveling jacks......those are stabilizing jacks. You use those to stabilize the unit once you have it level. If you use those as leveling devices you will twist up the box and I would take a guess that this is what your current issue is. Look into a Bal Leveler or use boards under the wheels to get it level from side to side.....the use the tongue lift to level to front and back. When you do get it level and put down the stabilizer jacks......they should only touch the ground....nothing more.
Old 07-11-2016, 03:43 PM   #6

Does not have to be perfectly level to raise it over 2". I have raised mine almost to max to get into the trailer at times and it was not completely level; a few degrees off.

Really only needs to be as level as possible when completely raised to allow screen door to be installed and when down to make sure it closes ok.

Did you try and raise it manually?
Old 07-11-2016, 04:02 PM   #7

I did try the manual lift...but the manual lift bolt is on the end of the motor, and not on the winch itself.

This is a terrible engineering design, IMHO, because all you are doing is turning the motor, rather than directly turning the winch.

Anyways, yes I did, but since the winch is not moving past the two inches of cable, it just grinds the gear the same as the motor, albeit a lot slower.
Old 07-11-2016, 04:12 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5moab View Post
Does not have to be perfectly level to raise it over 2". I have raised mine almost to max to get into the trailer at times and it was not completely level; a few degrees off.

Really only needs to be as level as possible when completely raised to allow screen door to be installed and when down to make sure it closes ok.

Did you try and raise it manually?
You're right........but we don't know how far off of level it is........so to make it ideal, level is best for his purpose. Manually with that old worm drive setup will take FOREVER.
Old 07-11-2016, 04:15 PM   #9

Quote:
I did try the manual lift...but the manual lift bolt is on the end of the motor, and not on the winch itself.

This is a terrible engineering design, IMHO, because all you are doing is turning the motor, rather than directly turning the winch.

Anyways, yes I did, but since the winch is not moving past the two inches of cable, it just grinds the gear the same as the motor, albeit a lot slower.
Can you find out from the PO if he ever did any maintenance on the lift system itself..........ie. greasing the zerks underneath, oiling the springs in the tubes?
Old 07-11-2016, 05:56 PM   #10

He did not ever lube or oil the system. Just asked him.

When this happened, that's the first thing I thought of. So I shot some grease into both zerks, but I did not do the tubes because I didn't know how.

Tags
roo, roof