Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2019, 06:45 PM   #1

Roof rack stuff - walk on the roof?

Ok, so this may be a dumb/obvious question to some here.. but I have this roof rack on my HW276 and thinking about getting some attachments to haul some bikes (3 of them). My question is, when you put them up and take them down, how the heck do you do that? Do you actually walk on the roof of the camper? Is that a bad idea or is it built to handle that kind of weight?
Capt America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 08:50 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt America View Post
Ok, so this may be a dumb/obvious question to some here.. but I have this roof rack on my HW276 and thinking about getting some attachments to haul some bikes (3 of them). My question is, when you put them up and take them down, how the heck do you do that? Do you actually walk on the roof of the camper? Is that a bad idea or is it built to handle that kind of weight?
If your roof is anything like my 2016 228D don't think about it! Your going to have to Ethan Hunt it and hover over it :/

Super thin fiberglass with little to nothing underneath.

Perhaps someone with a unit like yours can give you a better answer.
flyerdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 07:19 AM   #3

Agree, the roof will not support your weight. I had a/c installed on camper when purchased and the unit weighs in at 72 lbs. and I can actually see the roof where the a/c was placed sunk in from the weight on the unit. I would have strong reservations about putting anything else on my camper roof, just my feelings about it.
Old 07-11-2019, 07:39 AM   #4

There is a bike rack that attaches to the front aframe. It holds the front forks of the bikes and the back tires sit on the roof. You still have to lift the bikes up there but you can reach it from the ground to secure them.
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 08:44 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalsofEscape View Post
There is a bike rack that attaches to the front aframe. It holds the front forks of the bikes and the back tires sit on the roof. You still have to lift the bikes up there but you can reach it from the ground to secure them.
Yeah, I've seen those. I guess my question is why the hell would they put a rack up there if it won't take the weight? That's rhetorical, but it's frustrating how even a brand new camper these days is built so cheaply (but not sold cheaply).
Capt America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 09:16 AM   #6

You were asking about walking on the roof. Most were replying not to do that. The rack I mentioned is a rack that does not require you to walk on the roof. I think the roof can handle bikes, but this rack also puts some of the bike weight on the tongue.
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 10:23 AM   #7

Any kind of roof rack that straddles the roof (side to side) and attaches to the roof sides without applying weight away from those sides would probably be OK as the sides are solid wood 1/2 or 3/4 thick under the covering. Essentially something that elevates the load off the roof I would think would be OK so long as you don't buckle it by overloading. https://www.etrailer.com/static/imag...263333_800.jpg

You can see that for yourself by unscrewing the AC plug on the camper roof and pulling it out a bit.
flyerdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 12:59 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by backpacker3 View Post
Agree, the roof will not support your weight. I had a/c installed on camper when purchased and the unit weighs in at 72 lbs. and I can actually see the roof where the a/c was placed sunk in from the weight on the unit. I would have strong reservations about putting anything else on my camper roof, just my feelings about it.

If the above is fact you had a installer that did not know what he was doing.

Your roof should never sag or sink if the ac was properly installed.

You need to contact the installer and have them correct the issue before your ac is inside the unit on the floor.

Just saying.
campers302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 03:49 PM   #9
Grammar Pedant

Roof mounted accessories = massive red flag. I'd never buy a pop-up with a roof rack. It just tells me that the roof has been abused. These roofs are not that strong. A PUP is a roof and canvas. Once the roof goes, you have a pile of scrap metal and a utility trailer frame.

Think twice about it and, when shopping for a used one, I highly recommend walking away from PUPs with roof mounted bike carriers and such. 2-4 bikes ends up being a lot of weight.

TV: 2019 F-350 Lariat 4WD CCSB 6.7 PSD 3.55, 3,591 lb payload
Former RV: 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
Former RV: 2007 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Former TV: 2005 F-150 King Ranch 4WD SCrew 5.4L Tow Package
67L48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 05:07 PM   #10

Bikes

Simple answer, anywhere you put bikes on the trailer they bounce. Do not put them on the top of a thin roof. Do not put on the back of a single axel trailer.
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 10:46 PM   #11

For the last couple of years, Rockwood Pop Ups come with a roof rack installed at the factory. I forget the weight rating but I seem to remember something like 120 lbs. Most adult bikes weight 50 lbs, so you could get 2 to 3 mixed kids and adult bikes, maybe.
2024 Black Jeep Grand Cherokee L Altitude 4WD, 121" WB, 3.6L, 8 speed, Blacked Out Package, 265/50R20 wheels, 6,200# Tow Rating, pulling a 2020 Rockwood Premier 2716G Pop Up, with a 14' box. Go through Indiana Dunes NP 5X/week! Previously had 2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH and 2008 Jayco Jay Flight 19BH Travel Trailers. Also previously had 2007 Starcraft 2406 Pop Up with 12' box and bathroom, Previously had 2005 Rockwood 2290 Pop Up with 12' box and porta potty cabinet.
Mike91 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roo, roof