Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-13-2018, 12:50 PM   #1

Roof top wont lock when fully raised

I had to wedge a screwdriver in the winch gears to stop the roof top from lowering an extra inch when fully raised. Any suggestion on the fix? I tried adjusting the limit switch to run longer but it still would not lock to the limit I need the roof to raise.
Amartin453 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 01:27 PM   #2

I assume this is a PUP. What is the brand/model?
Goldwing 1800GL
Wilco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 02:02 PM   #3

2016 FR Rockwood Premier 2516g
Old 01-15-2018, 12:17 PM   #4

I have a similar problem with mine. There is a clutch adjustment on the winch which probably needs to be tightened. The procedure is in the manual. I will do that next time I have it up. Note be careful and not lubricate that area as it will probably affect the clutch. This is assuming that you have an electric winch on your PUP
cabranch47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 03:41 PM   #5

Thank you for the response, I’ll look in my power winch manual for the clutch adjustment info and let you know how things turn out.
Old 01-23-2018, 08:07 PM   #6

It was the clutch needing to be adjusted. I found a broken washer in the bottom cover of the winch, which caused the clutch to slip. Unfortunately CareFree Powerwinch does not sell just the washer, it sells the entire clutch kit which I did not need. So I improvised and found a 1”1/4 rubber tubular washer that was close to the same size as the broken washer and it worked. The washer that broke was made out of some cheap composite. We’ll see how long it last.
Old 01-24-2018, 11:02 AM   #7

Be careful with that rubber washer (sounds like an "O" ring). It may twist or slip. The original one was probably made of material that will withstand the friction/twisting of the clutch plates. Keep your safety shields on opposite lift post to be safe. Would like to know how that works out for you in the event that I need a repair in the future.
cabranch47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 01:46 PM   #8

Roof top wont lock when fully raised

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabranch47 View Post
Be careful with that rubber washer (sounds like an "O" ring). It may twist or slip. The original one was probably made of material that will withstand the friction/twisting of the clutch plates. Keep your safety shields on opposite lift post to be safe. Would like to know how that works out for you in the event that I need a repair in the future.

The tubular washer I used as my bush fix failed and I had to replace it with the correct part (as you suspected). I noticed it slipping again after I raised it this weekend when we went camping. Fortunately I did purchase the clutch kit just in case!

CareFree does not sell just the washer, so I had to buy the entire clutch kit. The kit was inexpensive so I have some extra parts should the clutch kit gears fail.

Tags
lock, roo, roof