Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2013, 04:28 PM   #1

Roof won't crank all the way up

Just bought a 2005 Flagstaff 176ED. The roof needs to go up about 2 more inches. How do I do it?
thrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 08:56 AM   #2
2011 Forest River Stealth

I am not sure how the 176ed works, but am sure you will get a response.

Welcome from the central coast of California
rwtdct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 11:07 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrix View Post
Just bought a 2005 Flagstaff 176ED. The roof needs to go up about 2 more inches. How do I do it?
Is that an electric winch model for raising and lowering?
goody59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 02:05 PM   #4

02 flagstaff tent trailer lift wont hold
razorman51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 08:56 PM   #5

Quote:
The roof needs to go up about 2 more inches
Are you positive it needs to go up more? I've heard of the indicator cord getting stretched a little and it could just look like it's too low. If things are saggy and the door doesn't fit...that's another story.

I haven't seen any pictures of that model with an electric lift and most of the smaller trailers didn't have the option. If it does, I would suspect the limit switch in the winch housing needs adjusting (mine did ). If it's manual, I'm at a loss. Someone else might have some ideas.
Old 08-10-2013, 09:34 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by goody59 View Post
Is that an electric winch model for raising and lowering?
Yes it is electric. Is there a way to manually crank it up?
Old 08-10-2013, 09:42 PM   #7

The door will not fit.
Old 08-10-2013, 10:00 PM   #8

How do you adjust the limit switch?
Old 08-11-2013, 12:21 AM   #9
RELYK CAMPING

It depends on the winch you have. You should be able to search online for that specific winch and how to adjust the limit switch. We have a Rockwood HW 296 and I had to make an adjustment to get it to open all the way. There should also be a cap on the winch cover that when removed allows you to manually crank the top up to the upper limit. On ours, if it's not up all the way it's very hard to get the door in place.
KWJ397 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 02:33 AM   #10

Quote:
How do you adjust the limit switch?
If you remove the winch cover then operate the winch you will se a adjustable bolt and loc nut. You will see how it needs to be adjusted so it travels further than it is now ajusting the "Stop". It is easy to see when cover is off how it all works. I had to adjust mine as I think cable stretch somewhat when they are new. Mine was fairly new campervan when adjustment was required. It is not a difficult procedure once you see how it works.
Old 08-11-2013, 09:45 PM   #11

How do you manually crank up the electric winch?
Old 08-12-2013, 03:45 PM   #12

I have a 2014 2560G and my roof needs to do up about another 2 inches as well. I have the electric winch so I am interested in this solution as well. I know there is a small pop-off piece on the side of the electric lift where you can crank it up but it spins very freely with the hand crank and never lifts at all that I can tell. I guess a drill would be a better option? Funny it went all the way at the dealership and then I drive over 8 hours home with it and it needs a couple more inches.
dmullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 06:30 PM   #13

I had the same problem last mo th and had to adjust the limit switch. Here is a link to the manual I used. http://www.popupportal.com/MGalleryItem.php?id=3124
Riwey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 08:06 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riwey View Post
I had the same problem last mo th and had to adjust the limit switch. Here is a link to the manual I used. http://www.popupportal.com/MGalleryItem.php?id=3124
That is the instructions I used. Easy peasy to see what is going on with those instructions and cover removed. Thanks for finding them. I have saved it now in my PC.
Old 08-14-2013, 02:52 PM   #15

FYI, I had this same problem with my 2007 HW258. Made the adjustment to the limit screw only to have the same problem again.

Last night I checked it out again and found the problem to be that one of the nuts on the end of my cable drum. (There are 2 nylon lock nuts on either end) The one had stripped threads and was not keeping the end plates on the drum together. I was actually having the wire rope slip down off the drum when lifting the top. It would make a loud popping noise when this happened. I replaced the nut with a jam nut and used some thread locker. I will keep an eye on it but it should be good.

I also found that my switch locking bolt was loose too. I tightened this down, but after reading the info on the link above realized that my switch disk was never contacting my lower limit, so I now need to adjust this.

So moral of the story is, if you are under there working on your upper limit adjustment, look for these and any other loose or broken parts.
bigbadbrad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roo, roof