Old 05-29-2019, 09:18 AM   #1

Running the fridge while you tow

Hey everyone. I was thinking of running my 3 way fridge off the battery while I was towing. My logic is that the truck will charge the battery while we go so the battery won't be dead when I get to the RV park. Anybody tried this? Good idea or bad? Thanks!

PupCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 09:22 AM   #2

Been addressed on several threads.... Truck doesnt produce much charge for Batteries. Me and many others leave the fridge on AUTO.... Leave a gas tank OPEN.... Let it do its thing. Fridge uses very little gas.

gbaldwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 09:27 AM   #3

I don't have your type of frig, however many have said that the charge from the TV is minimal when it comes to running things and recharging the battery. I would give it a try and see where the battery is at when you arrive. Let the forum know your results.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 09:36 AM   #4
Misfit Adventures

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaldwin View Post
Been addressed on several threads.... Truck doesnt produce much charge for Batteries. Me and many others leave the fridge on AUTO.... Leave a gas tank OPEN.... Let it do its thing. Fridge uses very little gas.
x2
Misfit011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 09:43 AM   #5
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
I don't have your type of frig, however many have said that the charge from the TV is minimal when it comes to running things and recharging the battery. I would give it a try and see where the battery is at when you arrive. Let the forum know your results.
X2
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '16=46 '17=30 '18=51 '19=27
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 09:47 AM   #6
Canadian Member

I did that with our old 1999 Coleman pop up. (Never had a battery on the pop up, we always had an electric site and the converter powered the 12V side.) Just check to make sure your tow vehicle will supply enough power.
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 09:53 AM   #7

I don't have a 3-way fridge but have always run on propane when traveling. That said, when I filled up my tanks this spring after last season, 30 days of camping/travel with many days spent on the road, I had only used 2 gallons of propane.

Now, running on the battery... I obviously can't but, I did once leave my truck and trailer plugged in to each other at a rest stop and opened the slide. Well, my truck picked up the extra voltage draw and threw a code at me. Needless to say, I now unplug the trailer anytime I plan to open the slide. Plenty of juice in the battery to do it, and a check engine light is not a good feeling while traveling- even if you "know" what caused it (because I always ask myself if it could be something else too).

For me, propane is the way to go.
Recurve R6 WDH w/Sway Control & SumoSprings

Days Camped:2019-18 and counting / 2018-30
CentralMePistol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 09:56 AM   #8

I dont think you want to count on running fridg off battery for any amount of extend time. In my mind "3 way" is actually a "2-way". Either running off gas or some type shore power (pole or Genny).
gbaldwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 10:02 AM   #9

I would sometimes run the fridge off of the battery while under way. On long trips I would have a dead battery when I arrived. So I stopped doing that and ran the fridge on propane while towing from then on. And yes, the tow vehicle was supplying power to the battery, just not as fast as the fridge was using it.
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 10:05 AM   #10
Pickin', Campin', Mason

3 way refrigerators work fine in all 3 modes.

As mentioned, whether YOUR particular set-up will keep the battery charged remains to be seen. I have run a 3 way on 12v for many hours and the TV kept up with it just fine. Obviously others have had a different experience. Every TV is different. It is what YOURS will do that you need to understand.

As for using slides while the umbilical cord is plugged into the TV... that is actually the recommended procedure. If your vehicle threw a code because of the draw from the slide operation then something is amiss.

Around our part of the world, dealers do not keep batteries in the R/V's on the lot. To show a perspective customer a rig, they simply back the lot tow vehicle up to the R/V, plug in the umbilical and utilize the TV battery/charging circuit. I've watched them open 3 slides and awnings just via the umbilical cord.

TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '16=46 '17=30 '18=51 '19=27
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge