Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2018, 05:58 PM   #1

Sealing underside of Flagstaff pop up camper

Just purchased a new Flagstaff T21DMHW camper and underside looks like treated plywood. I would like to know I could apply over the plywood to seal and make it more waterproof.
CastleRockcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 06:28 PM   #2

if I remember correctly -the manual for my 2010 Rockwood highwall stated not to seal the underside (traded the Rockwood couple of years ago). As the Rockwood and Flagstaff are twins - bet they are made of the same materials. I would check your manual.
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 06:29 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastleRockcamper View Post
Just purchased a new Flagstaff T21DMHW camper and underside looks like treated plywood. I would like to know I could apply over the plywood to seal and make it more waterproof.
If it's treated I don't know why you would need to but if you must, try Thompson's water seal. Use a hand pump tank sprayer.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 09:00 PM   #4

I am new to camping and may not need to seal the underside. Just want to do everything I can to preserve the camper. I have had some people recommend sealing all penetrations to keep out spiders etc and this may not be necessary on new campers.
Thanks for the reply’s!
Old 05-11-2018, 09:02 AM   #5

The treated wood is supposed to be fine but I share your same feelings. I have been tempted to place some tyvek underneath to deflect most of the water and road spray. I would definitely not seal it with any type of waterproofing as they warn against it. Remember, the top side is sealed tight with vinyl flooring. Sealing the bottom would not allow the wood to ever dry out if water got in. And it WILL get in.

The Tyvek is supposed to be able to breath so I figured it could protect from direct road spray and then dry out. I never did it.

Vin.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 06:05 PM   #6

I used Raptor lining on the metal frame and the entire underbelly. The only thing I left factory was the underside of the slide out beds.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2779.jpg
Views:	898
Size:	329.5 KB
ID:	171492Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2774.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	389.9 KB
ID:	171493
Amartin453 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 06:36 PM   #7

The Raptor lining is waterproof so wondering if this doesn’t affect the factory warranty. Something like the Raptor lining is what I would like to do to my camper. Thanks
Old 05-12-2018, 11:30 AM   #8

A hunch....

The underside of your camper is perfectly well ventilated. That means it dries quickly if it gets wet.

It's also treated from the factory. It may make more sense to inspect it about once a year...say when you lube things. As with the underside of an outdoor deck, you'd want to watch for any any evidence of mold or fungus. If you see anything suspicious, a deck wash product (with either bleach or oxy bleach) will kill whatever it is.

But my 2014 PUP shows no signs of such deterioration. And I think that sealing the underside might do more harm than good.

Again, just a hunch.
2006 Ram 1500 4WD Crew with Firestone Airbags
Every weekend boondocking in the National Forests or at Lake Vallecito.
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camper, flagstaff, pop up, seal