Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2016, 05:15 PM   #1

Second long trip with the 2514G

Completed trip from east coast to Zion, Bryce, and Rocky Mtn NP.
Yeah it was 114 deg but it is a DRY HEAT you know.
Zion was hot, Bryce was hotter, and Estes Park was great!

As with last year, the running gear performed well.
We now have about 11K on the original Westlake tires.
Somewhat disappointing that even the pop-ups use tire rating plus hitch weight to determine max load but what the hey.
We tow right about 70mph west of the Mississippi and trailer is solid.

Ripped off the red height gauge wire, again. I will have to re-attach with spacers, since our trailer has to go up a leeetle higher than the wire in order for the screen door to be able to be fitted in place.

I will need to investigate hesitation on dropping roof. It has always stopped with a few inches to spare, and pushes down ok, but it is 2X a few inches now.

Stove fell out of the flip galley, AGAIN, but this time broke all the high tech plastic stays, and scratched up the counter top. Home Depot run turned up a sink installation kit with metal, yes, METAL clips that seem as if they will stay in place. Swapped the bent #2 (ok maybe #4) screws for stainless set.

AC cooled well even in the excessive heat. We leave it off during the day when we are not there and fire it up when we get back.

Added a wheel to the replacement Atwood jack, since the original wheel did not fit the replacement jack from last year.

Found the water line drains under the sink, and even figured out how they work. Should make winterizing easier and no so messy this fall.
Old 08-15-2016, 09:04 PM   #2

Wow underthedog, that's a long trip with a pop up. I must be a wimp. I would love to take a my 2514G for a ride like that. This summer we did a lot of NJ, PA, NY Camping. Thinking about New Hampshire , Vermont next year. This pup does tow solidly, however. I never had the stove fall out of the galley YET!!! Need to take a look at that so perhaps I can possibly avoid that.
Enjoy the remaining camp season and thanks for sharing.

Dutchmen
Dutchmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 05:46 AM   #3

It is only the flip over galleys that could have the issue . . . .

We started taking the long trips with the kids to show them some of the country. We managed to cover most of it with them, admittedly it is the wide and shallow view. It did leave them with an interest so it was successful there. In fact both adult kids and S-I-L went with us to Glacier NP, Waterton, and Yellowstone last year for some in-depth hiking/sightseeing.

We do not mind long travel days (10-12-14 hrs) to cover the ground, usually switching off drivers. It is not for everyone of course. And the kids traveled well even when young.
Old 08-16-2016, 05:49 PM   #4

Sounds amazing. My jobs never provided for extended vacation travel. So I succumbed. However kids are grown and grandchild 10 now. So me and my wife have been discussing trips out west. Must have been awesome! My galley does flip over. Same exact model as yours. (2015). Happy Camping
Old 08-16-2016, 05:52 PM   #5

Camping in those parks would have blown my mind in a great way...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1471387918325.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	117.9 KB
ID:	117470  
Old 08-17-2016, 05:58 AM   #6

I like the paper towels on the awning support.
We did not set up our awning even once. We were either:
  • overnighting,
  • too dang hot to sit out anyway (100+, saw as high as 114)
  • our longest stay at Estes Park KOA the sites were too small to put the awning out. We got lucky with an end of row site that had a picnic table on a deck overlooking the rocky mtns. The rest (mostly TT, MH) were racked in angled back-in-parking type spaced pretty tight. Did not see that as an issue since we were not spending much time there anyway. The online reviews there mention that a lot though.
Old 08-17-2016, 12:46 PM   #7

Interesting. Understood under those conditions. We don't always put up the awning, but we do when the conditions and the campsite allow. Yes the paper towels are always in the same place and can't blow away..
Old 08-17-2016, 02:24 PM   #8

Will be using the paper towel set up on next trip, never even thought of it.
JPBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 02:36 PM   #9

Comes in handy. Always using paper towels for so many things when camping
Old 08-17-2016, 02:54 PM   #10

When the DW says what a great ideal, I will give the credit to you......no matter how much it will hurt me.
JPBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 07:09 PM   #11

Wow! Sounds like a blast underthedog- we took a similar trip in May. Sorry to hear about the misadventures. Where did you camp in Estes?

Thanks,
Chip

2016 Rockwood HW296
2011 Chev. Avalanche LTZ

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
ChipBrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 05:46 AM   #12

Stayed at the KOA in Estes Park. KOA is our preferred choice.
RV and cabins area are terraced. They wedge them in tight there, most literally cannot deploy an awning. One side of the street is essentially angled parking, the other is parallel parking against a railroad tie wall. We got an end site where the picnic table was on a deck extending from the terrace. Most tables were set behind the units. Staff was nice and restrooms were clean. We did not spend much time other than sleeping there.

Tags
2514g

« Keys | Made it fit! »