Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2017, 08:58 AM   #1

Securing bag-style popup awning

Our new popup came with the standard bag-style awning. I can either drop the struts to the ground and use tent stakes to hold them, or secure it clips on the side of the camper. However, it doesn’t feel very secure in that position and I’m always concerned that a slight breeze will simply pop it out of those clips. Is there a way to secure it to the camper?
Myron625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 10:04 PM   #2

You could use parachute cord to tie down the awning to tent stakes. But then, you have the obstruction on the ground anyway. An "aftermarket" latching device is an option, but a pain, and it means using bolts if you expect it to hold up.

I have used both methods, and I vastly prefer the following:
1. Vertical poles, staked down. But staked down, the poles can still shake up and down, so I also use...
2. Parachute cord to additional stakes about 2' from the poles at a 45 degree angle. I use orange stakes, and the loop in the parachute cord for the trucker's hitch makes a good place to put a "flag". I've not needed a flag, because I have enough extra cord to make a knot with large, slip-knots that are very visible. This adds tension to the awning, and it reduces flapping in modest winds.

I use a trucker's hitch in the parachute cord, and apply a good strain on the cord. This does a lot to secure the awning in MODEST wind conditions...common in Colorado.

If you have the "ball-and-socket" pole ends common on Dometics, order spare sockets. They are fragile, and you MUST use them on the horizontal poles that tension the awning.

Be sure to use the Velcro ties on the sides of the canvass to join the canvass to the side-tension poles. If these Velcro ties fail, buy some aftermarket canvass tensioners.

Two other points:
Protect your awning bag from the sun. My bag is shredding after three years, and by the end of this summer...the 4th season...I'll have to get a new bag (at a custom canvass shop) or a new awning.

If you frequently camp in windy conditions, you obviously must stow the awning to protect it. But under the right conditions, the bag can swing and bang on the roof. This will shake the camper...HARD. I solved this by using heavy-duty industrial Velcro behind the bag and on the side of the roof. Roughly 12" long by 2" wide. This keeps the bag from swinging in the wind. Keep the Velcro at least 12" from the socket on the side of the roof so that it's not a struggle to make that connection.

Hope this helps.
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 11:45 PM   #3

Is sure it to the pop up and run cords from top of poles to dog screws under the edge of the pup. No problems.
Old 07-25-2017, 12:18 PM   #4

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0609.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	573.2 KB
ID:	146007

I used a couple of tie down ratchet straps and twist in stakes. No problems. Just kept it good and snug.
spurticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 12:29 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurticus View Post
Attachment 146007

I used a couple of tie down ratchet straps and twist in stakes. No problems. Just kept it good and snug.

Yep, when we had our popup that's exactly how we did it as well. Poles went into the ball-in-sockets on side of camper, and then anchored to the ground. Perfect!!!!!

2023 Flagstaff 206STSE
2019 Flagstaff HW29SC ( sold )
2017 Salem Cruise Lite 232RBXL ( sold )
2014 Ford 150 XLT 5.0 2wd
Briorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 01:11 PM   #6

Securing bag-style popup awning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briorick View Post
Yep, when we had our popup that's exactly how we did it as well. Poles went into the ball-in-sockets on side of camper, and then anchored to the ground. Perfect!!!!!

We no longer have ours either. I still enjoy the pup forum though!
spurticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 07:24 PM   #7

I agree. Many great memories in our pup. Sometimes I miss the simplicity of it all. Felt like we were closer to nature in a pup vs. our TT. Although, I love the ease of setup now.

2023 Flagstaff 206STSE
2019 Flagstaff HW29SC ( sold )
2017 Salem Cruise Lite 232RBXL ( sold )
2014 Ford 150 XLT 5.0 2wd
Briorick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning