Old 03-24-2015, 01:10 PM   #1

Selling 2006 Rockwood popup consignment/private sale?

Dealer where we are buying the 1998 Layton wants my popup on consignment.
No percentage fee. Sells it at my reserve + his price. I. E. my price is 3,000.00 he sells it for 4,000.00 I understand there is no insurance from my carrier.
DW does not want the hassle of showing it till itís sold.
I want to do CL, but she wants the dealer.
And advice?
Thanks.

2005 Silverado 2500HD
labcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 02:05 PM   #2

If the dealer sells it, you get 3K, if you sell it via CL you get 3K. Correct? I would jump at the deal. CL is the biggest pain in the rear and seems to invite some very strange people.
Not sure about your comment on insurance.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 02:24 PM   #3

As with any private sale, you will have to deal with entertaining all the colorful characters that come to see it and deal with any problems they create with having you hold it, they having trouble with financing, etc.

The problem with consignment to the dealer is that he does not have any skin in the game. He can sit on it forever waiting to make a profit that he sees fit. And how does this affect you? You lose with the continued decline in value due to age. The pop up is not appreciating as time goes by. If the dealer holds it for a year and cannot sell it, then they may just give it back to you and then you have to sell a year older pop.

These things are never easy. Just do what feels right.

Vin.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 1000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 02:32 PM   #4
Site Team

I once bought a TT from a dealer that was selling it on consignment. I don't know what the percentage divide was but I offered a number and he called the owner to see if he would take it. So I don't think I would worry too much about the dealer sitting on it.
Old 03-24-2015, 02:35 PM   #5

I sell on CL all of the time. I would not hesitate to get an ad up today because now is the time for camper shoppers! It's not that difficult to weed out the tire-kickers in large part... You can also structure your ad to be quite direct - clean title/certificate of origin in-hand, cash only. Make a really good ad with thorough description and fill up all the photos CL will allow with what you know campers will want to see as this will avoid a lot of communication trying to just figure out how it's equipped and what the condition is like.

In the last 2 years, I've sold a number of big ticket items through CL and never had a serious buyer balk at a cash requirement. Last one we counted out 126 Franklins together, twice, signed a Bill of Sale, and signed over the title.

Consignments of any sort don't have incentive. Any time a family comes into a dealership, I've never seen a salesman push the used models before trying to find ANY new model he/she can put them in.

My $0.02.
Old 03-24-2015, 02:36 PM   #6

Insurance...Progressive does not insure the unit on the dealers property. If something happens, it is not covered and they do not sell consignment ins.

Spring is a good time to sell. I think if I state the term of the deal for 6 months consignment with an option to renew or cease, might work?

2005 Silverado 2500HD
Old 03-24-2015, 03:15 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by labcamper View Post
Insurance...Progressive does not insure the unit on the dealers property. If something happens, it is not covered and they do not sell consignment ins.

Spring is a good time to sell. I think if I state the term of the deal for 6 months consignment with an option to renew or cease, might work?
Then do I understand that you took the plates off the unit? It would seem to me that if the pop up is properly registered and has plates attached, then the insurance will cover it no matter where the heck it happens to be parked. I doubt who owns the dirt under it matters.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 1000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 03:54 PM   #8

Quote:

So, if taken in for service and a disaster hits or the lot gets vandalized, progressive will not pay a claim?
I wonder does that go with a car/truck too?
I had a vehicle vandalized in a dealers lot, and Allstate paid then went after the dealers insurance.
Oh well....good luck.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 05:25 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
And advice?
Thanks.
Do as she asks...she's way more expensive to replace!

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 02:40 PM   #10

haha..priceless!!!

2005 Silverado 2500HD

Tags
rockwood, pop up