Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2014, 09:46 AM   #1

Set Up & Take Down

My Dealer told us it takes about 20 min. to set up and 20 min. t take down. I have done this in my back yard 5 or 6 times and I can not do it in les than 30 min. What is the amount fo time people out there take to do this?
skirk55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 10:01 AM   #2
Mod free 5er

Dealer is probably just blocking, leveling, unhooking and connecting sewer, water and power. Don't worry about it, sometimes it take me 30 minutes and sometimes 2 days to get everything out like: awning, awning sunscreens, patio rug, lawn chairs, tv, grill, campfire and small table.
Old 09-15-2014, 10:09 AM   #3

If it's straight up level, sewer, water, cable, power and slides I can easily do it under 20 minutes. Start with the awnings, tables, outside games, rugs and grilles you may be looking 30-40 minutes. Usually with the exception of the rug and chairs I don't take things out until I need them.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
meck51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 10:19 AM   #4

I use the setup as time to unwind from the trip. I take my time and relax.
The day before we head back I begin packing up all the items we don't need (nice and easy) and it gives me a chance to straighten everything out so the day we leave I can enjoy a nice breakfast with only a few things left to do. Been doing it that way for 45 years and it works for us.

Started Out With Nothing,
Still Have Most Of It Left!
jwedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 10:21 AM   #5

I only ever boondock camp so usually always some leveling is involved. I try not to hurry because their really is no reason to. Usually takes me 30-45 minutes to get set up. And then seems their is always something I forget to do. Just take your time and get all the important stuff done first and you'll be surprised once you do it a few times how little of time it actually take. You will get into a pattern every time and it goes quick.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
2014 Honda Pioneer 700-4
2004 Yamaha Grizzly 660
wyo700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 10:24 AM   #6

For me the set up and take down time is directly related to the length stay. If I am staying one night during travel it may only be front jacks down and have a good night (5min). A couple nights maybe full hook ups and a few chairs (30min). Extended stay I don't believe set up or take down ever stops, I am always changing something for a variety of different reasons. Any how you get the picture. Just take your time and enjoy, it is not a race.
mcnabbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 10:55 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

I often find it takes me at least a couple of days to do it all. Since we still work, we're often rolling in later on Friday nights, so my setup is whatever it takes to get the kids in bed. I deal with the rest later.

Actually, I did cover this in another thread:

Quote:
Preferred method:

1) Use levelling blocks/boards to level side to side.
2) chock with wedges.
3) Unhook from truck, level front to back.
4) Install X-chocks
5) Put out slide
6) Reconfirm everything level, tweak as necessary
7) Put down stabilizers
8) Hookup power, water, sewer.
9) Turn on HW
10) Put out awning, outdoor carpet, get out camp chairs.
11) Relax with cold brew.

Usual method

1) Screw it, it's level enough, chock with wedges
2) Unhook from truck, get front to back close enough.
3) Put out slide so DW can get kids ready for bed.
4) Hook up power/ water so kids can get ready for bed.
5) Pull out chairs, carpet etc... so bunk can be folded down so kids can go to bed. Chairs get dumped in a pile.
6) put down stabilizers in response to DW complaining the trailers too shaky. Stabs throw level off even further but slows down shake.
7) run and hide from wife on backside of trailer doing "that dang outdoor stuff." I.e. The rest of the hookups.
8) Install X-chocks cramped under slide out in the dark, and of course in the mud puddle, though it's been a drought for 3 weeks.
9) go inside, go to bed.
10) get up from bed, go back outside and turn on HW.
11) take dog for walk "since I'm up anyways" though I'd rather just crawl back into bed.
12) crash in bed
13) get up in morning and fix it all.
Doesn't seem to matter if I'm only there for 2 nights, or a whole week. The few times I can really get everything setup the night we arrive is if I take a day off and go early, and the wife brings the kids later after work/school.
Old 09-15-2014, 10:59 AM   #8
Always Learning

What's interesting is that most (all?) of the responders so far aren't using a pop-up and are still taking the same amount of time. skirk55, if you can do it in 30 minutes, then I think you're doing just fine. I found that it took us longer because we'd take time to make beds, adjust things for the kitchen, setup bathroom, etc.

In 20 minutes, I could get the bare minimum setup- but I'd still have a lot of little things like the other folks have mentioned. Like OldCoot, with my fifth wheel- I can have a bare minimum setup in about 10-20 minutes (or even a little less if it's an overnight stop and I'm literally parking for the night). And sometimes, 3-4 days in, I'm still lolligagging getting things set up.

There's no timelimit- enjoy yourself.
Old 09-15-2014, 11:02 AM   #9
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwedell View Post
I use the setup as time to unwind from the trip. I take my time and relax. The day before we head back I begin packing up all the items we don't need (nice and easy) and it gives me a chance to straighten everything out so the day we leave I can enjoy a nice breakfast with only a few things left to do. Been doing it that way for 45 years and it works for us.
Same here. Being retired, we never get in a hurry anymore. Did the hurry, hurry, hurry bit from 128Aug960 to 01Aug05, NO MORE, unless it's raining and then we just wait it out.
Old 09-15-2014, 11:25 AM   #10

This makes me feel better! My son was at out house Sunday when I told him he told me no way! I have my leveling boards painted. I keep everything in one spot. Everything is wiped down before it hoses and wire is put back. I just am fussy and the pop up is more fun than I ever thought. we took a month off and are going from Pa. to Calf. this way we can take out time. I just thought I was just slow!!
Old 09-15-2014, 02:46 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by skirk55 View Post
This makes me feel better! My son was at out house Sunday when I told him he told me no way! I have my leveling boards painted. I keep everything in one spot. Everything is wiped down before it hoses and wire is put back. I just am fussy and the pop up is more fun than I ever thought. we took a month off and are going from Pa. to Calf. this way we can take out time. I just thought I was just slow!!
You got *NOTHING* on OldCoot - you should see his OCD Basement (and Herk, you are not too far behind OC)
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 07:33 PM   #12

Tonight I set the pop up and it tool less time. I guess after we are on the road we will work out the bugs. I put the poles and side brace under the mattress so that way I did not have to go in the pop up for everything. It is getting better every time we set it up.
Old 09-18-2014, 07:45 AM   #13

lol. 20 mins to pop up the camper roof and open it up maybe.

If you need to set up properly, I think it can take you closer to an hour if you include the very first step of leveling.

I like to take my time also. I do like to get the pop up open so that the DW can get in and begin to do things as well. But before that you need to make sure it is level and stable.

I actually enjoy the set up part. I get a sense of accomplishment that I have built a home for my family that we will be able to shelter in. The break down is worse as I sense destruction.

Vin.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 08:54 AM   #14

Level,. Awning, Electric, water, raise, bunk and slide, door, grille, table, awning mat take about 1 hr BUT thats the DW and I doing it. Takes a little longer to twar down depending on weather and how dirty cause we clean (sweep n bathroom) a little.
kinma13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 08:58 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by skirk55 View Post
Tonight I set the pop up and it tool less time. I guess after we are on the road we will work out the bugs. I put the poles and side brace under the mattress so that way I did not have to go in the pop up for everything. It is getting better every time we set it up.
I found that the set up for the popup while on a long distance trip like you are planning to be much different than when I plan a camping weekend. On our long two week trip from md to yellowstone, we left the beds made up and did not put out anything (no chairs or awning). We did not even have a fire. Just too tired after driving all day. We hooked up the electric and water only (did not really need the water though as we used the campground bathhouse and ate out). The dinette stayed in the bed position and the suitcases stayed there. We usually ate dinner out and had the cooler in the car for drinks and lunch stuff. Once we were at yellowstone and staying for in one place for 5 nights, we did need the water hookup, did get out the chairs and did grocery shopping. Just some things to think about.

Btw, the winds out west in June made putting the awning out a bad descision....not sure how it will be for your trip next week but keep that in mind.
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 09:04 AM   #16

1/2 hr -2 hrs depending on length of stay or how badly I wanna cocktail..
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 09:07 AM   #17

When we had our PUP we could set-up in about an hour. Heck the awning alone (98 Coleman) took 20 minutes.

Now with our TT it could take 15-20 mins to get set-up. It STILL takes an hour, but that is probably because I used to drink 1 beer once I unhooked, now I drink 2.

cdangel0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 10:30 AM   #18

Overnight wally/rest stop takes exactly 11min......park on most level, set parking brake, go inside and use the lazy man e stab remote to run down legs back then front, run slides out, pop on hw heater for wife.

Then I wash hands, push button to turn on inverter and see if I can get local stations to unwind and watch news......

Long stay set up.....HOURS....I cant deal with un level trailer for more than a day.....then we got the hookups, awning poles , tie downs, mats, chairs, outdoor kitchen setup, satellite...and on and on....lol
2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
ironj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 10:56 AM   #19

Never actually timed it but if you can do total setup in 20 min by yourself NASCAR is looking for you in the pits. Just getting trailer level and un hooked maybe 20 min using drill to set leveling jacks and an electric hitch. First thing is getting the leveling right so you don't have to go back and fix it later, take time do it right. Takes me more than 20 min to pick up all the weight distribution bars and drill to put them away. Figure on an hour to get things all done the trailer sales are trying to make it look real easy so people will buy the trailer. I've watched people set theirs up taking 2 to 3 hours depending on what they set up, awning , water, electricity, chairs, grill, slides, putting furniture back in place once slides are out. Takes 10 min to get the slides out alone on mine. 20 to 30 min is just the basic set in place and unhook.
Old 09-18-2014, 11:08 AM   #20

I never really time it, as it's part of the relaxing I do while camping. I tinker outside while the wife sets up the interior... Prob an hour at a leisurely pace.

2008 Forest River Micro-Lite 18FBR
2000 Ford Explorer Sports Trac
WBrian is offline   Reply With Quote