Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2015, 10:16 AM   #1

Shakedown Cruise

We took the new PUP out for her shakedown cruise last weekend at Boyd Lake State Park. For the most part things went pretty well. We were a little disorganized and I couldn’t seem to remember where I packed everything but thinks went well and we had no problems getting the PUP set up.

The only issue I had was the drive up to the campground. The ride seemed a little spongy and had some sway issues. Looking into a WDH to level things out as well as moving a few things around when loading.

All in in it was a great first trip and the DW and DGKs had a great time and we’re looking forward to our next trip to Rocky Mountain National Park.
"[A]ny man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I served in the United States Navy.” John F. Kennedy
2015 Flagstaff HW27KS
2011 Xterra Pro 4X
SWO1115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 10:58 AM   #2

Not sure what your pulling or what your pulling with but a friction sway control bar may help also.

Congrats on the unit. We have a pup also and love. Lots of fun times.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
2010 Ford Escape
loumichelle735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 11:01 AM   #3

What are the ratings for a Xterra and can it use a WDH? What is the weight of the Flagstaff, including tongue weight?

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 11:37 AM   #4

Congrats on a successful trip! Ironically, my shakedown trip is also Boyd. Going to go either tonight or tomorrow morning and stay the long weekend.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Fishhawk1650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 11:47 AM   #5

The Xterra is rated for 5000/500 lbs. The PUP specs out at 370 HW and 3832 GVWR. Overall the tow wasn't that bad but I think I'd like a little less rockin (well at least while I'm driving). Further I've not found anything that says no WDH on the Xterra or PUP.

I was not bothered by the sway after I slowed down to under 60. The sway happen when going 60+ and getting passed by a big rig doing 75+.
"[A]ny man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I served in the United States Navy.” John F. Kennedy
2015 Flagstaff HW27KS
2011 Xterra Pro 4X
Old 05-20-2015, 01:50 PM   #6

Is the vehicle really low in the rear with the trailer connected? If not, might look at an anti-sway bar. But since I don't need or use one for my setup, hopefully, maybe someone who knows a heck of a lot more will jump in.
Or might want to post over in the towing section.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 04:58 PM   #7

Test drive with our A-frame (2014 A122) showed a lot of porpoising. Dealer suggested and I agreed to install Equalizer 600/6000 on my Hyundai Entourage (minivan). Absolutely love the combo WDH and anti-sway. No sway up to Colorado max of 75 MPH, even in crosswinds. Restored ride of minivan to close to stock. Wife will even drive towing. Adds less than 5 minutes to hitch/unhitch times. The anti-sway does groan making turns at slow speeds - because it's working.

Compare towing a 2000 Coleman PUP (Westlake) with a 1993 Ford Explorer (no WDH or anti-sway). That was a white-knuckler every time I got above 62 MPH.

Would never consider towing a PUP or A-frame with a 6 cylinder vehicle without WDH/antisway again.

Fred W
camping Colorado one weekend at a time.
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 09:58 AM   #8

Did you go with the E2 or the 4-way Equal-i-zer? Thanks
2015 Flagstaff HW27KS
2011 Xterra Pro 4X
Old 05-23-2015, 10:58 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWO1115 View Post
Did you go with the E2 or the 4-way Equal-i-zer? Thanks
I had to check. It's an E2 600/6000. I like it because I rotate the bars out of the way during hookup - and it provides all the anti-sway I need. 35 MPH crosswinds and the wife and I splitting driving across Nebraska and Eastern Colorado at 65-68 MPH.
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote