Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2015, 02:44 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by MohicanJeff View Post
Thanks for all the responses! I think? So the way I am understanding this is that I do NOT need a 12 volt battery connection to run the interior lighting as this is done by the converter/inverter? (when connected to shore power.) I have not yet disconnected the battery during hook up as this probably explains why the power lift is alittle slower when bringing the top back down.
Yes, and no, not recommended.

The WFCO converters in our PUPs and Aframes seem to do much better over the long term with a battery attached. The battery is a stabilizing load on the converter electronics. A 3 stage converter senses the battery voltage to determine what it's output voltage should be. When there is no battery (or the battery has a bad cell or is at too low a voltage), the converter gets confused. Also, when large loads are suddenly connected (power lift switch turned on), the converter struggles for a second or two to keep the voltage from sagging. And the inductive voltage spike from sizeable electric motors starting or stopping are not liked by cheap converter electronics. With the battery connected, the battery serves as both a load, and a good-sized buffer for the converter.

Because the output of the converter is 13.2 to 14+ volts (depending on battery charge state), and a battery which is not being charged is 12 to 12.6 volts, the lift will seem faster with shore power connected - shore power powers the converter - than the battery by itself. There should be no difference in lift speed whether the battery is connected or not when on shore power. However, as already stated, WFCO converters can do weird things if there is not a partially charged battery in the circuit.

hope this helps and makes sense
Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122 (with WFCO 30 amp converter, dual size 24 batteries, batteries only disconnected during storage between trips)
2008 Hyundai Entourage (minivan)
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 07:46 AM   #22

I hope some of you are still logged in... I am confused. Here's the story, we are in day one of a new cedar creek silverback...pulled into camp site, hooked up to 50amp...all led lights are dim (and power inverter won't stay on)...even tho for 150 miles it kept the residential refrigerator running fine wile being towed!! I did not nor have not disconnected my battery... I did purchase a battery charger late last night and the battery's have trickle charged all night. Now this am, all led lights are bright as can be...and i have no idea why???? I have not walked outside to check to see if inverter is suddenly on or maybe it's just because the battery's charged all night?? Guess I don't know if my inverter is bad, don't know if I should disconnect the battery when I plug into 50amp power...and don't know why any of this wasn't mentioned at delivery! My last Rv was a2008 excel 30 amp. We showed up to Rv site, hooked up...never did another thing. This new 2016 cedar creek may be to advanced for me!! Any tips on how to prevent what happened to us last night would be appreciated...
silverback16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 08:23 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverback16 View Post
I hope some of you are still logged in... I am confused. Here's the story, we are in day one of a new cedar creek silverback...pulled into camp site, hooked up to 50amp...all led lights are dim (and power inverter won't stay on)...even tho for 150 miles it kept the residential refrigerator running fine wile being towed!! I did not nor have not disconnected my battery... I did purchase a battery charger late last night and the battery's have trickle charged all night. Now this am, all led lights are bright as can be...and i have no idea why???? I have not walked outside to check to see if inverter is suddenly on or maybe it's just because the battery's charged all night?? Guess I don't know if my inverter is bad, don't know if I should disconnect the battery when I plug into 50amp power...and don't know why any of this wasn't mentioned at delivery! My last Rv was a2008 excel 30 amp. We showed up to Rv site, hooked up...never did another thing. This new 2016 cedar creek may be to advanced for me!! Any tips on how to prevent what happened to us last night would be appreciated...
I'll jump in here, Do not disconnect your batteries the 50 amp service works the same way your 30 amp system did only 50 amp service can power more appliances. Your assumption about the overnight charge bringing the lights back to full power I would say is exactly what took place. Let the converter take care of your battery charging while connected to shore power. Your lights run off of 12 volt power not the inverter, the inverter is what supplies 110 volts to your 110 volt appliiances such as the microwave etc when not connected to shore power also when connected to shore power the batteries will be charging and the charger you purchased should not be needed, if the batteries lose their charge while on shore power you have a bad converter. Does your unit have an inverter as well as the converter, I can explain the difference in these if you need.

Edit, sorry missed the residential refrig comment so you do have both and it sounds like you know their functions.
2000 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager M-8357 MH, Ford Trident V10 Gasser, 35 foot.
Batts-toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 08:34 AM   #24

I believe it's an inverter ... As the refrigerator is electric only due to being a residential fridge. It sits above the 2 batteries. My auto leveling display showed low voltage when I scrowed the menu... And the inverter display fades in and out when I power it on, so I left it off when I hooked up to shore power. But the strange thing is, it worked while being hooked up to my truck power while being towed...it kept the refrigerator on??? But when I hooked up yesterday to 50 amp, all led lights dim and only got dimmer. Now this morning they are bright like the sun?? The battery's are brand new, I just picked the unit up Thursday this week. Should I still check the water??
Old 07-10-2015, 08:46 AM   #25

I check the battery levels first thing after getting a new unit home for peace of mind if nothing else. Sounds to me like your batteries (with help from your TV) powered the inverter just long enough to get to your destination and with the batteries fully charged this morning your back in business, enjoy your camping.
Old 07-10-2015, 08:58 AM   #26

Ok that's where I'm confused, if the charger I purchased last night charged the batteries...???...then something is not working correct? My batteries should be charged by the shore power hook up, and a trickle charger shouldn't be necessary. I am far from knowledgeable on this topic, so your help is so appreciated.
Old 07-10-2015, 09:09 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverback16 View Post
Ok that's where I'm confused, if the charger I purchased last night charged the batteries...???...then something is not working correct? My batteries should be charged by the shore power hook up, and a trickle charger shouldn't be necessary. I am far from knowledgeable on this topic, so your help is so appreciated.
This is correct you should not need a separate charger. It could be that you did not wait long enough for the converter to bring the batteries up before adding the charger. I would get a volt meter and check the battery charge level while connected to shore power and the other charger disconnected you should get above 13 volts reading if you do then the converter is working. If you get a low reading check your circuit breakers and fuses if all are ok and the battery levels continue to fall go ahead and connect the portable charger up this will get you by until you can get somewhere to have the converter professionally checked.
Old 07-10-2015, 09:14 AM   #28

10-4! Can't thank you enough.
Old 07-10-2015, 09:20 AM   #29

Not a problem, glad to help.

Tags
battery, power