Old 08-31-2017, 11:37 AM   #1

Sink drain hose

I have a rockwood freedom and am having issues with the sink drain hose getting a hole in it from putting galley up and down. Any suggestions on a better kind of drain pipe and where to find it as well as what diameter I need?

archiemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 11:49 AM   #2
Head Rambler

How is it getting the hole in it? Pinching, chafing, kinking, etc.?

Can you post a picture of the offending hose.

If it's chafing, you can buy hose chafing covers to slip over the hose and they help a lot. If it's getting pinched, you may be able to reroute it or put a bungee or something on it to keep it out of the pinch point.

Old 08-31-2017, 07:36 PM   #3

This should be a good replacement...verify size (1 1/4"). https://smile.amazon.com/1-25-Fill-C...ater+fill+hose

You can splice in a repair with the thin-wall plastic drain plumbing used in Bathroom J/P traps and a couple of hose clamps. The stiff plastic will force the hose to bend elsewhere, but that probably won't be a problem. https://smile.amazon.com/Plumb-Craft...athroom+p+trap

The drain plumbing will fit in the hose if you use an emery board to taper the cut ends of the pipe and use a bit of dish soap to ease the hose onto the pipe. A 3" pipe will be plenty for a splice...along with two stainless hose clamps.

Again, this assumes 1 1/4" drain/fill hose. If you look at the fill pipe to your fresh water tank, I think you'll see they used the same kind of hose for both.

Typical season is about 30 nights camping, usually nearby boondocking in the National Forests or at Lake Wellington
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 04:18 PM   #4

I have the same problem have not got around to fixing it
msantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 12:00 PM   #5

Check the zip ties near the tube. I kept getting cuts in mine and finally figured out it was from the sharp ends of the cut zip ties holding the electrical wires under the sink.
Neinta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 03:05 PM   #6

Interesting, on two occasions-when I put the galley down before closing the roof I heard water hit the floor. I soaked it up and just figured it was the hose breaking loose at a connecting point due to it stretching. I have not had an opportunity to investigate further but as soon as I do, I will report back with the results. Iíll check the sharp zip ties tip!
Amartin453 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 04:13 PM   #7

Sink drain hose

So I investigated and found a tear in the bottom of the hose next to the clamp closest to the wall. It appears it ripped due to the stretching of it when opening and closing the galley. It was not torn by the zip tie, although I could see this happening due to the cut ends of the zip ties being very sharp (need to be filed down).

I purchased three feet of spa flex hose from Home Depot. The hose is solid and very rigid with not much flexibility. I was able to connect it but what a pain in the ass it was to maneuver in such a tight space. Anyway, itís done and I donít anticipate it tearing ever again.

A more flexible metal hose would be the ideal fix, Home Depot just didnít have it and I was in a rush to fix it.
Amartin453 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 10:40 PM   #8

I had to replace the flex tubing in my HW27KS outside sink. It cracked where it kinked when the exterior kitchen slide was pushed in.

I sourced the hose from local RV dealer. It was ribbed like the original, but more heavy duty.

Good luck
IslandVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 02:34 PM   #9

Reinforced vinyl tubing for sink drain hose?

I have the same problem on my 2012 Rockwood 2280 and I'm wondering if anyone has tried reinforced vinyl tubing to replace the sink drain hose. Reinforced vinyl tubing appears to have several advantages over the original equipment corrugated hose. One, reinforced vinyl tubes are smooth on the inside so no leaks at the clamps as with corrugated. Two, reinforced vinyl tubes are much, much thicker than corrugated tubes but appear to be flexible enough to withstand raising and lowering the galley (not sure about this one). Three, reinforced vinyl tubes won't break at the grooves like corrugated. The only one I'm not sure about is the flexibility, so if anyone has done this and has had no problems, I'd appreciate hearing about it.
winnardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 02:45 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnardt View Post
I have the same problem on my 2012 Rockwood 2280 and I'm wondering if anyone has tried reinforced vinyl tubing to replace the sink drain hose. Reinforced vinyl tubing appears to have several advantages over the original equipment corrugated hose. One, reinforced vinyl tubes are smooth on the inside so no leaks at the clamps as with corrugated. Two, reinforced vinyl tubes are much, much thicker than corrugated tubes but appear to be flexible enough to withstand raising and lowering the galley (not sure about this one). Three, reinforced vinyl tubes won't break at the grooves like corrugated. The only one I'm not sure about is the flexibility, so if anyone has done this and has had no problems, I'd appreciate hearing about it.
Tried this on my pullout kitchen sink this year, it is much stiffer than the original.
So far it has worked but it drains slower. Hard to keep the down hill run due to stiffer hose. Not going to be my permanent fix but is working ok for now.
totalcomfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 12:55 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiemac View Post
I have a rockwood freedom and am having issues with the sink drain hose getting a hole in it from putting galley up and down. Any suggestions on a better kind of drain pipe and where to find it as well as what diameter I need?
I had a similar problem in my 2010 Forest River pop up. I also had holes worn into the line between the corrugations and I determined that it was manufactured with the wrong kind of hose. The hose that was in there is the kind that is one continuous spiral of reinforcement and consequently the clamps must of necessity go across the reinforcing rib and this creates a weakness.

I went to my local RV dealer, campers Unlimited, and they had precisely the right kind of hose that I was able to secure for $1.50 per foot or a total of about $6. The right kind of hose alternates the ribbed flexible hose with a flat inch and a half or so everyone foot. This means that you are able to cut the hose so that your clamp securing the hose to the tail piece off the sink and the other end to the entry to the Trap will be properly secured with the clamp. No necessity of going across a rib. This has worked perfectly and no more leaks on the floor when I raise the sink up and down.
alexcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 06:00 PM   #12

Two thoughts on this.
1) Most sink drain hose is the same as the fresh-tank fill hose. In a high use situation (constant flexing from setup and tear down), this is a consumable product. Just replace it now and again.
2) I've repaired my hose to the fresh tank using 1 1/4" plastic sink drain pipe (for home bathroom sink). This thin-wall plastic pipe typically fits in the hose and accepts standard hose clamps to secure the hose to the pipe. My sink drain on my outdoor kitchen is flexed hard each time I open and close the kitchen slide, and that was slightly larger. I used an 1 1/2" PVC coupler and two clamps. Success in both locations.

Repairs and replacements are cheap and easy. Amazon sells the hose if you don't have ready access to an RV dealer parts store. https://smile.amazon.com/Smooth-Bor-...&tag=hyprod-20
Typical season is about 30 nights camping, usually nearby boondocking in the National Forests or at Lake Wellington
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 06:52 PM   #13

I replaced the hose in my 2016 2516g soon after buying it second hand. I used SmoothBore hose. Their factory support is fantastic.
Minthillbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 07:09 PM   #14

The hose broke on my 2016 Rockwood Premier 2516G. So I replaced it with a piece of SMOOTHBOR 101 Hose.
works Great. Just be sure you make it long enough so not to pull off when lowering the galley yet not too long that there is a sag when the galley is up . I just finished cutting off 6 in after making it too long the first time. Held it on the ends with stainless hose clamps, 1 on each end. For other brands of camper use the proper size Smoothbor hose. Bought hose on Amazon, factory support is superb.
Minthillbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 09:03 AM   #15

"Just replace it now and again"

First, for a pop up camper sink drain in a galley, the clamps are not easy to reach at all. Second, if it's a small break and leaks behind the galley without being seen for a while, the water can damage the floor. Third, for me this is the second time mine has broken in the 4 years I've owned the pop up camper, so I'm looking for a longer term solution than something that breaks every couple of years. I think MintHillBill has found the right solution for a sink drain hose in a pop up camper (SMOOTHBOR 101). It's smooth on the inside so it will clamp well, has smooth periodic sections on the outside for better clamping, appears to be strong but is still flexible.
winnardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 08:35 AM   #16

I have a tear in my drain hose, bought a roll of white Fusion Pro Self-Fusing Silicone Tape, wrapped it tightly, problem solved for now. I expect that a new hose would like rip as well, so I'll wait until I absolutely need to replace it. Keep a roll of this in the trailer in case a leak happens while camping.
2019: 40

Setups: 90 (including 18 at home)
John & Nathalie & Bernadette (the dog)
browj2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 03:48 PM   #17

Here is the part number from Forest River:

Part # F100055098 – drain hose – white ribbed – 1 3/8”

Its $1.66 a foot from them. I just ordered myself 12 feet to future proof this problem.
flyerdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 03:01 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyerdp View Post
Here is the part number from Forest River:

Part # F100055098 – drain hose – white ribbed – 1 3/8”

Its $1.66 a foot from them. I just ordered myself 12 feet to future proof this problem.
Couldn't see the hose you reference by that part number. This is what I used and I hope yours is the same idea. You need the smooth interspersed clamp points to get a good seal. Mine originally had the spiral wire that required you to lay a clamp across the reinforcing wire. NOT good procedure. This link shows the kind I bought to fix my leaky drain hose. https://bendtrailers.com/smooth-bor-...EaAnFuEALw_wcB
Old 11-09-2019, 10:01 AM   #19

Hi all!

Been on this forum for a while, and this is the first thread Iíve needed to use to actually repair something that broke on the 2015 2516G that we bought in the spring.

While winterizing the camper, I found that the plastic hose for the swing down sink apparently split at some point. Weíve been on numerous camping trips with the trailer, but we havenít used the sink since doing a bit of boondocking in early summer. No telling when it actually cracked, but based of what Iíve read it sounds like this is a somewhat normal occurrence.

I see the recommendation to use the smoothbor 101 hose to repair the drainage - Iíll definitely do that as it seems like a better product. What I am more curious about is how tough was the repair? I managed to contort myself enough to be able to remove the two clamps that attach the tubing to the p-trap... but Iíve yet to swing the galley up to see how difficult the sink section is to repair. Did any of you with 2516G campers have to replace more than just the hose? Even with the steel clamps off of the line, itís pretty securely attached to the threading that goes into the p-trap. Do you just cut that plastic material off? Is the process pretty similar for the hose that connects to the sink drain?

Thanks for any information or help you can give me!

Jeff
Jharness81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 11:29 AM   #20

On my 2010 ForestRiver pup the repair was extremely difficult, but not impossible. Your degree of difficulty may vary. The access through the slot where the hose articulates when the sink is erected was very little wider than my forearm. Got it done putting hose clamps on the smooth segment of my replacement hose both to tailpiece and inlet to trap but came out with bruises and scrapes. Used to be I'd get a splash of water through the tears in between the spiral reinforcement near the entrance to trap when the sink was dropped. Repair successful and not a drop recently.

Tags
drain, sink