Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2019, 07:02 AM   #21

From a purist point of view, the batteries are also paralleled incorrectly. It looks like the chassis negative and positive both come from one battery and the second is merely parallelled. Actually the chassis positive should be on one battery and the chassis negative should be on the other! At low current it shouldn't be a problem, but ideally I would move the negative over as well as the solar controller negative.

Easy to do but probably both unnecessary.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 07:23 AM   #22
Site Team

This discussion pops up on the forum every few months and is usually debated extensively. For large battery banks with high current demand one way has an advantage over the other, but for small banks (2 batteries) and average RV current demand the difference is so slight it doesn't really matter.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 07:37 AM   #23

So what I'm hearing is that the differences are negligible considering the current demand involved so if I just leave it as is, it's fine. It's not going to improve dry camping battery life drastically by switching it around.
2019 Ram 1500 Classic SLT 4x4 5.7L Hemi V8 crew cab
Nova Scotia, Canada 🇨🇦
HappyCamperCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 08:33 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyCamperCanada View Post
So what I'm hearing is that the differences are negligible considering the current demand involved so if I just leave it as is, it's fine. It's not going to improve dry camping battery life drastically by switching it around.
It will work correctly as it is wired. On these forums, lots of folks will debate the minutia of details :-) When batteries are wired in parallel only, there is an advantage when having power and ground connections at opposite ends of the battery bank, although it is very slight. Many of us like to tinker and even a very slight difference is worth a good deal of trouble, if nothing else....just to say "this is the best way to do it"!
Suit yourself, with a two battery parallel bank, I doubt you would ever notice a discernable difference in performance. More importantly, familiarize yourself with capacity of your bank and at what level are healthy for your batteries. For instance...12.1 volts is the lowest you ever want to deplete a lead acid volt level to....this equates to 50% of your power and is the low limit before irreversible damage will begin to limit the life of your batteries.

2016 F350 CC Dually Powerstroke 4x4
2014 Cedar Creek 34RLSA w/Level Up
2007 HD Ultra Classic 103
USS Pyro AE-24 WestPac MM2 '71-'75
SlowrideHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 11:16 AM   #25

there's a right way and a wrong way. Why would anybody do it the wrong way when the right way is same amount of effort? I would argue that a small amount of imbalance is even more of an issue on a small system as oppose to a large system because the small system is limited in its output.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell
SS Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 11:22 AM   #26
clr

Yes your wiring diagram is the best way to connect the two batteries. This configuration ensures that both batteries are being used as equally as possible. Others are correct that all connections to one battery are electrically equivalent, but that is only true if the connections to the other battery are very good with no poor connections. If you account for the slight possibility of the paralleling cables not being 0 ohms, then your connection is better since it forces the current to flow through both batteries equally.
2015 Prime Time Sanibel 3601
clr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, solar, solar panel