Old 02-05-2014, 07:38 AM   #11
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
Originally Posted by merrykalia View Post
We have a few, but we don't "DO" Myrtle Beach, just too crowded with people.

1. Hunting Island SP is our favorite. Located outside of Beaufort, SC; about 5 miles from Parris Island Marine training facility; and about 15 miles north of Hilton Head, it is located in a great spot. It has water/electric at 95% of the sites (the other are tent only sits), but it fills up fast, especially for summer and school holidays. It has an 11 month time window and if I am wanting in the front row, I will usually book at the 11 month time period. It is located about mid-way between Savannah and Charleston, so each make a great day trip.

2. James Island County Park is a wonderful place. It has lots of trails, is very dog friendly, good clean bath houses and laundry facilities and fishing along with a water park (seasonal) within it's boundaries and a climbing wall. We thoroughly enjoyed it and if it was on the beach, it would be at the top of our list. (It's only about 5 miles away from the beach).
X2! I have to agree with everyword posted above.
Hunting Island is our fav as well. We will be there this weekend. We are close by and can scoop up those last minute cancellations. It fills up FAST! Is with in walking distance of the beach and very tree covered and shady in the summer time. Great State Park. The ladies in the office told me 1.7 million people went through the park last year. The most popular SP in the state. Great store as well.
Been to James Island several times as well. I'm originally from James Island and they have done great things with this park. We'd consider bumping this to our number one favorite, but we think Hunting Island is best for the kind of camping we do. Mostly, relaxing, walking through the camp grounds and on the beach. Check out my albums, I have pictures from both locations.
We visited Edisto Beach SP awhile back. Had we never been to Hunting Island, we would have loved it too. But you kinda need to bring your own drinking water (they are working on that) and the roads in and out were not the best maintained. Nice park, but with us being closer to Hunting Island, we probably won't go back unless there is a Carolina Beach Music Shag Festival. Hope this helps and Myrtle Beach is always fun with kids and things to do.

John & April & "Scout"
2013 Sabre 32RCTS-6
Nights Camped 2013-(44)2014-(59)
Nights Camped 2015-(47)2016-23
BombDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 06:18 PM   #12
I would suggest looking at all the COE [Corps of Engineers] campgrounds. We have a huge selection of great places to camp in SC.

Politicians should be required to wear uniforms like NASCAR. At least the TAXPAYERS would know who their corporate sponsors are !
Squall Line is offline   Reply With Quote