Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-11-2014, 05:36 PM   #1

South Carolina sound off

Info on any camp grounds in south Carolina. Good or no good. Will be camping out of a freedom pop up.

Sent from my LG-P769 using Forest River Forums mobile app
phillip252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 06:16 PM   #2
MI Camperz

We stayed at two SC state parks in August 2013 and both were lovely.
1. Huntington Beach State Park: by Murrell's inlet (seafood capital of SC). Gorgeous, uncrowded beach, large sites, gorgeous natural features, and close ride to either Myrtle Beach area or Charleston. We loved it here. Murrell's inlet is adorable too with a board walk full of restaurants and taverns on the waterfront. Seafood and novelty shops also. Rich history opportunities in the area.

2. Myrtle Beach state park. Also gorgeous beach and not as crowded as by the hotels, but you could walk to them. (a ways) It's like a natural oasis in the middle of a city, literally. Grounds and natural features also very beautiful and has a very large fishing pier where fisherman were catching all day and night. The sites are a little smaller, campground feels a little more crowded, but still very lovely.
We loved them both and would gladly go back to either, but liked Huntington Beach state park a tad better. Liked the smaller town feel of Murrell's inlet vs. Myrtle Beach also. The grounds at both were impeccably kept and the staff were very friendly and helpful.

We are going to try to get back again this summer.
p.s. We were warned about mosquitos and no-see um bugs and were worried. Maybe we were just lucky, but I only counted a few mosquitos and bugs the whole time there for 2 weeks. No problem for us what so ever! I never had to use bug spray at all. We kept fans going.
Old 01-11-2014, 08:55 PM   #3

Thanks, about 4hr drive ether way, will check them out.

Sent from my LG-P769 using Forest River Forums mobile app
phillip252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 09:49 PM   #4

James Island County Park, just south of Charleston. Site of the Charleston Festival of Lights at Christmas each year, but a great campground year-round. We were there last April, and F.R.O.G. had two groups there in November '13, with another rally scheduled for the park in November '14.

Less than 10 minutes to downtown Charleston.
2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW 4X4 Duramax
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 06:01 AM   #5

I think most people think of the beaches of South Carolina, but if you like more hilly country or lakes, there are lots of state, county and corps parks in the upstate. All are good and popups are great for that type of campground. (There are plenty of RV sites, but not all sites can accommodate large RV's.) Lake Jocasse State Park is one of the best, but it gets booked up.

South Carolina Parks - South Carolina Parks Official Site
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 12:39 PM   #6

I'm in Myrtle Beach (haven't camped in town yet), but have heard great things about Huntington Beach State Park. You also have Ocean Lakes, PirateLand, and Lakeview of which everyone seems to have a different favorite, but positive reviews typically.

We did stay at James Island County Park in Charleston twice over the summer and it is great. The campground is very nice and the park has a huge playground and water spout that kids love. There is a nice dog park and also a waterpark attached within walking distance of you camp site. If you have kids they'd have a great time. If not, there is tons to do in/around Charleston.
CampinDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 07:02 PM   #7

Hilton Head Island Motorcoach Resort is very nice. A bit pricey, but very close to the ocean and great dining and golf. Awesome place if you like to ride bicycles.
_nelsonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 05:35 AM   #8
Wanna be Sir Campsalot

SC native. Been hauling my pop up across the state for quite a few years. I'm 5 miles or less from several campgrounds on Lake Hartwell and you really need to know where you're going (convenience, etc.) to have a good trip. For example, Springfield campground is conveniently located within a short drive to grocery and gas stations. Twin Lakes campground is a long way from everything, as is Oconee Point.

Beaches are almost always a sure bet. Ocean Lakes, Pirateland, and Lakewood all offer clean convenient camping. I tend to favor Ocean Lakes...I feel their facilities and recreation are the best of the three.

Been a LONG time since I stayed at MYB State Park, but you should expect it to be more rustic and more "primitive" than the commercial campgrounds. OL, and I'm sure the others, offer concrete pads for the camper to sit upon, limiting the amount of tracked dirt/sand into the camper. A HUGE advantage on days of heavy rain (frequent during summer months at the beach ).

Bottom line: do your research and have fun .
Old 02-05-2014, 07:57 AM   #9

We have a few, but we don't "DO" Myrtle Beach, just too crowded with people.

1. Hunting Island SP is our favorite. Located outside of Beaufort, SC; about 5 miles from Parris Island Marine training facility; and about 15 miles north of Hilton Head, it is located in a great spot. It has water/electric at 95% of the sites (the other are tent only sits), but it fills up fast, especially for summer and school holidays. It has an 11 month time window and if I am wanting in the front row, I will usually book at the 11 month time period. It is located about mid-way between Savannah and Charleston, so each make a great day trip.

2. James Island County Park is a wonderful place. It has lots of trails, is very dog friendly, good clean bath houses and laundry facilities and fishing along with a water park (seasonal) within it's boundaries and a climbing wall. We thoroughly enjoyed it and if it was on the beach, it would be at the top of our list. (It's only about 5 miles away from the beach).
merrykalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 08:25 AM   #10

We only "do" Myrtle Beach in the winter. We like Myrtle Beach Travel Park, which is very similar to the other mega-parks mentioned. It's conveniently located between MB and North MB.

Don't even want to imagine what kind of zoo it is in the summer, and we're told reservations are sometimes required a year in advance for that time of year.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 08:38 AM   #11
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrykalia View Post
We have a few, but we don't "DO" Myrtle Beach, just too crowded with people.

1. Hunting Island SP is our favorite. Located outside of Beaufort, SC; about 5 miles from Parris Island Marine training facility; and about 15 miles north of Hilton Head, it is located in a great spot. It has water/electric at 95% of the sites (the other are tent only sits), but it fills up fast, especially for summer and school holidays. It has an 11 month time window and if I am wanting in the front row, I will usually book at the 11 month time period. It is located about mid-way between Savannah and Charleston, so each make a great day trip.

2. James Island County Park is a wonderful place. It has lots of trails, is very dog friendly, good clean bath houses and laundry facilities and fishing along with a water park (seasonal) within it's boundaries and a climbing wall. We thoroughly enjoyed it and if it was on the beach, it would be at the top of our list. (It's only about 5 miles away from the beach).
X2! I have to agree with everyword posted above.
Hunting Island is our fav as well. We will be there this weekend. We are close by and can scoop up those last minute cancellations. It fills up FAST! Is with in walking distance of the beach and very tree covered and shady in the summer time. Great State Park. The ladies in the office told me 1.7 million people went through the park last year. The most popular SP in the state. Great store as well.
Been to James Island several times as well. I'm originally from James Island and they have done great things with this park. We'd consider bumping this to our number one favorite, but we think Hunting Island is best for the kind of camping we do. Mostly, relaxing, walking through the camp grounds and on the beach. Check out my albums, I have pictures from both locations.
We visited Edisto Beach SP awhile back. Had we never been to Hunting Island, we would have loved it too. But you kinda need to bring your own drinking water (they are working on that) and the roads in and out were not the best maintained. Nice park, but with us being closer to Hunting Island, we probably won't go back unless there is a Carolina Beach Music Shag Festival. Hope this helps and Myrtle Beach is always fun with kids and things to do.
2016-(32) 2017-(13) 2018-(20) 2019-0
BombDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 07:18 PM   #12

I would suggest looking at all the COE [Corps of Engineers] campgrounds. We have a huge selection of great places to camp in SC.