Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2014, 01:16 PM   #1

Space heater?

Hello all, was wondering what type of space heater are being used in your pop up? We have a knew freedom 1970, it does have a heater that runs off the bottle, and heated beds, was looking for a good space heater to help save on propane and keep us warm through the night (temps down in low 40's). My wife is cold natured, help please!!!!

Sent from my LG-P769 using Forest River Forums mobile app
phillip252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 01:39 PM   #2
Always Learning

I opted for the $30-$40 model from Walmart (or when that one broke mid-trip, from Home Depot). I like ones with thermostats that you can set a temperature and it sort of gets there. We would then also use the bunk fans to blow the warm air to them.
Old 02-25-2014, 02:19 PM   #3
Site Team

just to clarify the terminology so there's no confusion.
your popup has a furnace that runs off the propane tanks.
bottles refer to the little 1 lb. bottles for Coleman-type stoves and lanterns.

and to use a heater like you want, you'll need to have electric hookups. these will not run off of battery power.

we use a oscillating ceramic heater. it's about 14" tall and does a great job. it has a tipover kill switch also.
but we rarely have hookups so we don't get to use it often.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 02:27 PM   #4
NELA

Original post states "heated beds".

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 02:33 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezer View Post
Original post states "heated beds".
sorry, missed that.

hard to believe that between the furnace and heated mattresses and only 40 degree temps, it's still too cold.

our heated mattresses can turn our bed into a sweat lodge, if we keep it on the highest setting.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Old 02-25-2014, 02:48 PM   #6

The best heater we have is the cheapest a 1500 watt Comfort Zone we found at Bed Bath and Beyond. We paid 25$ for it and it has the tip over safety. It heats up the MH as well as the tall heater from Lasko. It takes up less room and was half the price.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 03:10 PM   #7
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
hard to believe that between the furnace and heated mattresses and only 40 degree temps, it's still too cold.
The way that I read it, it wasn't that it was too cold- the OP is just trying to augment the propane furnace to save on LP.
Old 02-25-2014, 03:22 PM   #8

40 is to cold to get out of bed. It's way to cold to take a shower and it's only gonna happen with a heater or roll on south. Key West is 85 and sunny today.

Old 02-25-2014, 03:30 PM   #9

Just FYI you may find that you will have to run the heater off of a plug on the poll. With the heater on and if you turn a couple of other things on (TV, coffe Pot) it will trip the breaker on the camper. It's not a big deal just run an extension cord from the pole through tenting of the pop-up. Other wise I use a 1500 watt lasko in my camper and it does fine. Just make sure you get one with a tip over safety.
2016 Victory Cross Country Tour
2012 Toyota Tundra Crew Max (sold)
Jjsav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 03:33 PM   #10

Late last fall we were camping in our pop-up and the temps were down to freezing at night and low 70's during most days. We had two Lasko heaters from Walmart. The larger of the two ran almost constant day and night while the little one kicked on from time to time in the evening. The big boy propane furnace didn't run too much.

The nice thing about the tall electric heater was that our dogs with short legs could not get near anything hot yet the heater was on the floor.

Seasonal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 03:55 PM   #11

Thanks for all the input, we have the large tank for the furnace, the nights get pretty chilly on the lakes. with so many heater choices out there needed some proven and tested ones to start with. Will let everyone know how we come out. Our 1st trip will be next month, prep time is under way.

Old 02-25-2014, 04:00 PM   #12

Phil57 You are right, for my wife 40 is the north pole. It does not matter to me I fish when it 18. Lol

Old 02-25-2014, 04:24 PM   #13
Site Team

Floor heaters are great! I brought a floor heater for the house from Costco that was around $40. I like it so much that I try to bring it along camping instead of using the original cheaper one from Walmart. On the last trip I forgot to bring the house heater but had my little backup unit in the storage under the booth.

In my TT using the floor heater and hair dryer at the same time can trip the breaker.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 04:47 PM   #14

I got an oil filled one at Lowes I use. I feel it is safe enough to leave running if we step out for a little while.
CampingDixieDogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 05:18 PM   #15
Site Team

phillip, you didn't say whether you'll have electric hookups or whether you've used the heated mattresses.
Old 02-25-2014, 05:31 PM   #16

There will be power and water hookups. So yes the heated beds will be in use when needed.

Old 02-25-2014, 05:57 PM   #17
NELA

DH will not abide a bathroom without the ceiling heater here at our S&B. (eyeroll) We spent Thanksgiving in Hot Springs, Arkansas this past year (20* at night) so he drove to the nearest dollar store and picked up a small floor heater for the bathroom of the 35' V-Lite we owned at the time....we've a 5thW now.

That little heater could turn that large V-Lite bathroom into a hot-house pronto!

Both the V-Lite and the new 5er have the electric fireplace, making it very easy to save on propane. This past weekend we did the shake down and I was reminded quickly that "hot air rises". With the fireplace on medium setting I was sweating up in the bedroom. QQ

We use the small floor heater now on the few cold nights we have left while it's connected to shore power in the back yard. A couple weeks ago it was 22* several days in a row and with that little heater sitting on the island counter top it never got below 37* inside, with all the slides in.

Don't recall the brand, but the one we got is not only tip-over safe, it even turns off when you pick it up.

We have one of the oil radiators here at home, but it's bigger and bulky. That small floor heater stows in an overhead cabinet while not in use.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 05:58 PM   #18

In a RV space is a premium so keep in mind that you will store the heater 90% of the time. I think that what surprised us about the little ceramic heater was it works better than any of the big heaters we have. We are heating a 40'MH and it does a good job 25$. We still use the HP and the furness but not as much.

Old 03-01-2014, 11:12 PM   #19

We use one of those oscillating ceramic space heaters (about 26" tall), can't recall the brand but there are several companies making them - I think ours is a Garrison. Three different heat settings, with a timer, remote control, and cool-down mode for shutoff. It's worked quite well for us in the pop-up during rainy days and early spring/late fall camping (around 50 deg. F range); in fact it gets too warm inside after a while at the highest setting.

While we have a propane furnace, it's really loud and tends to wake us at night - the ceramic heater is very quiet. It stores quite nicely under the bench for travel and days when we don't need it.

2009 Flagstaff 425D
2005 Avalanche ZR71
Hutch65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 07:53 PM   #20

Ok update on space heater. Well with heated beds and the heater in camper, my wife was telling to turn the heater off, and for her to ask for heat to be turned off is really big. Lol. The only problem I noticed is the thermostat is cheap, I am going to replace it with a digital stat. That will be a later project, because it has warmed up enough to not have to worry about heat.

Tags
heater