Old 12-02-2011, 01:35 PM   #1

Stablizers and roof raising order

I am going to open up a can of worms on this one, but I want to explore this one here.

I currently own a Flagstaff 2011 HW27KS, and have owned 4 different popup campers for the last 15 years.

What is the correct order for raising the roof in reference to putting down the stabilizers? Is it:

Level, stabs down, raise roof
or
Level. raise roof, stabs down

Why am I asking this, because no one seems to have a definative answer, especially Forrest River. I came from the world of owning Colemans/Fleetwoods where it is very clear that roof goes up first.

The manual included with my unit, in one section says stabs down first, and in another section it says to raise roof first. The video shows roof up first, then stabs down. I called Forrest River Support and didin't get anyone, so left a message. I got a call back a few hours later and was told stabs down first if using an electric winch lift. Then the next day there is a message on my machine from another person at Forrest River saying Roof up first, then stabs down.

I looked online in some manuals for other FR and Rockwood models and in some years they say stabs down/roof up, and some roof up/stabs down - all with the same Goshen lift system.

A call to Goshen says, roof up first, then stabs.

Popupportal.com and Canvascampers.com both have long threads on this subject, but in the case of FR products, still no consensus as the manuals totally differ.

I can say from my side that stabs down/roof up give me door fitting issues. If I do roof up/stabs down, the door usually will go right in. But if I continue to do it thatway, is that going to run afoul with future warranty/support issues.

Old 12-02-2011, 02:22 PM   #2

I think the answer is when all is done and you are ready to start camping is the popup level?
I would go with the procedure that is the easiest with the final result that everything is level.

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 02:36 PM   #3

Level is not the question here. It is assumed every realizes that stabilizers are NOT used for leveling only to stabilize. The issue about order applies to the roof raising. There is a feeling from some that the stabs should not be down so the roof and settle the frame as its being raised and not get it into a bind condition. Some have the feeling that the stabs should be down so there is no settling/movement while the roof raises.

Notice I keep saying from some.... so some can be a manual, a recommendation, a dealer, an FR tech..

Whose recommendation so you use, the one from the lift manufacturer, the one from the trailer manufacturer, the one from real world life, when all 3 have different answers.

FR here is the worst offender as both their manuals and their staff given different answers.
Old 12-02-2011, 02:48 PM   #4

I would say stabs down then roof up, but you stated that doesn't work for you. So if stabs down roof up doesn't work for you, your only option is roof up, stabs down.

I think it would be crazy to believe that they would try to void your warranty based on either scenario you use.
Old 12-02-2011, 09:31 PM   #5
Moderators' Assistant

with my previous popups, i always put stabs down first.
the reason was that if the pup wasn't level and i put the roof up, that would put a strain on the roof supports.
by leveling and stabs down first, that insures that the roof goes up even and level.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 05:31 PM   #6

What bikendan says makes sense to me and is what I will be going with except storage of the handle to drop stabalisers is under bed matress. That will mean raising the roof section to some extent first.
Old 12-03-2011, 10:56 PM   #7

During our popup days, which just ended a couple of months ago, it was always LUDO, Level, roof Up, stabs Down, beds Out. There are a lot of parts moving when that roof goes up and if you put an extra crank or two on one corner, you could twist the box just enough to bind something up. I did the exact opposite at the end of the trip, beds in, stabs up, roof down and latched, hook up and GO!

That's what always worked for me and the bottom line seems to be to do what works for you. I can't imagine there being a warranty issue if the manual shows it both ways.
2012 Rockwood Roo 23SS
ddemme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 10:22 AM   #8

Just purchased my first Popup (2008 Forest River BR19TH) which I'm looking forward to using once winter leaves the Northwest. I'm reading online that there is a recall on that year popups with power lift systems. Anyone familiar with this issue or would know if this model is effected? I maybe able to check with FR to see if my model and SS# is effected.
Old 12-04-2011, 01:53 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron.p065 View Post
Just purchased my first Popup (2008 Forest River BR19TH) which I'm looking forward to using once winter leaves the Northwest. I'm reading online that there is a recall on that year popups with power lift systems. Anyone familiar with this issue or would know if this model is effected? I maybe able to check with FR to see if my model and SS# is effected.
You need to start a new thread for this as nobody much will be reading your question in this thread as it is in another topic.
Old 12-06-2011, 10:33 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddemme View Post
During our popup days, which just ended a couple of months ago, it was always LUDO, Level, roof Up, stabs Down, beds Out. There are a lot of parts moving when that roof goes up and if you put an extra crank or two on one corner, you could twist the box just enough to bind something up. I did the exact opposite at the end of the trip, beds in, stabs up, roof down and latched, hook up and GO!

That's what always worked for me and the bottom line seems to be to do what works for you. I can't imagine there being a warranty issue if the manual shows it both ways.
And for me coming from the Colemans (owned 2), this is way it is to be done. Everyone is on the same page, dealers, manuals, etc....

But with FR, no 2 people seem to agree.