Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-13-2015, 11:57 AM   #1

Storage box leak around lid

I have a 2016 2516g, it's got that nice storage area and I have a leak, I have found where the water is coming in, iAm just trying to engineer a fix.

The piano hinge that secured the lid to the body does not allow for the rubber gasket on the lid to seal.

I had the unit parked outside who it was closed up, and had water get in the storage box. It was going th CW for other service and they found a small hole at the back and sealed it with epoxy/ silicone. Thinking it's fixed as it was tested I took it home, and washed it. water was found again in the slide out plastic tray.

I pulled the tray out and emptied the water, simple dump and dry.
I decided to find the leak myself. I left the storage tub out and put a flood light in the bin storage area and closed the door, one can clearly see light near the piano hinge.

There is no way to lower the hinge to decrease the gap on the storage lid or the base as the hinge is topped and bottomed out.
Th gasket along he rear has a good 1/2-3/4 inch gap.
So when water rolls off the roof behind the storage lid, it builds up and waterfalls in the back lip of the storage container.

I think a new hinge could fix it, (lower height to make installed gasket seal)or maybe a weather strip that's an inch tall,

Anyone else have this problem and figured out a fix, it's under warranty but I'd rather do the job right the second time around
swimmarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 01:22 PM   #2

Take a pic if you can.
Trevor43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 09:54 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor43 View Post
Take a pic if you can.
I will when I am home On Saturday
swimmarz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, storage