Old 08-17-2013, 11:06 PM   #11

Don't understand how they can put such a low value on it ... seems to me a camper wouldn't depreciate at the same rate a vehicle would ... not nearly as many miles/kms put on it in a year ... no real "new" features or body style changes from year to year .... how could they possibly justify such a high depreciation in just a year ??? .....

Old 08-17-2013, 11:09 PM   #12
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyboys View Post
Don't understand how they can put such a low value on it ... seems to me a camper wouldn't depreciate at the same rate a vehicle would ... not nearly as many miles/kms put on it in a year ... now real "new" features or body style changes from year to year .... how could they possibly justify such a high depreciation in just a year ??? .....
There have been a couple of posts recently about the surprisingly high amount of depreciation in just a year (like $7,000 in some cases). It's the nature of the beast and a reminder for the rest of us- make sure you have full replacement cost coverage on your camper.

Old 08-17-2013, 11:10 PM   #13
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauly42 View Post
Puts a bad face on Geico
Believe it- I doubt it's just Geico.
Old 08-17-2013, 11:15 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post

There have been a couple of posts recently about the surprisingly high amount of depreciation in just a year (like $7,000 in some cases). It's the nature of the beast and a reminder for the rest of us- make sure you have full replacement cost coverage on your camper.
Geez! ... that's just insane! ... the Lextra tent trailer my parents bought new in '87 is still used nearly every year ... its been all up and down the west coast (US and Canada) when we lived in Alberta, than all through the central states and up and down the East Coast since moving to Ontario in '98. Now that my spouse and I have our Rockwood its something we'll have for many years to come, lots of room to grow into with kids on the way and such. .... . Guess it just gives you more motivation to get out and use it as much as possible ... get all the use out of it since its essentially worth a lot less as soon as you take it off the lot.
Old 08-18-2013, 02:45 AM   #15
Incheon, S. Korea

Find some classified ads/dealer listings for the same trailer and show it to 'em. That'll keep 'em honest. Also try to keep the old trailer and sell it yourself. More $$$!
BigBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 10:31 AM   #16

Geico came and got the trailer on a flatbed.........If the second offer is still out of whack........I will request a copy the report from the Value Scope and run down the rv's they used as comparison to reach their value. It almost seems like some/most options are being left out.
Old 09-08-2013, 08:02 PM   #17

Insurance

Insurance paid off.......went out to see George Andrews at House of Camping and bought another 2516g. Someone at FR must have sat down and thought "How can we make this better?" They sure did.....it's all in a ton of small details. Really cool power cord set up with built in indicator lights at both ends. Really cool new canvas with different cut for the windows......curved now instead of straight lines. Moved the smoke alarm over to the other side of the camper now. No more Concertone junk....came a Kenwood car stereo. Interior fabric is really nice. Table and outdoor side table are made with wood now instead of particle board and both are much lighter to handle. Stove is now black instead of stainless. Tan color now with black accents.
Old 09-08-2013, 08:25 PM   #18

An example of value on a TT.

We paid 26k traded a year later for 5ER. We got $20k on the trade pus because we had a lemon FR did help out on the new 5er. Couldn't be happier, just want more days away
Old 09-09-2013, 08:40 AM   #19

Glad it turned out well for you, Trevor.
Zambolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 10:11 AM   #20
Incheon, S. Korea

Glad it ended well. Pics or it didn't happen! LOL

BigBaron is offline   Reply With Quote